Does vger.kernel.org automatically drop spams? - Kernel

This is a discussion on Does vger.kernel.org automatically drop spams? - Kernel ; Hello. I posted a message to netdev@vger.kernel.org , linux-security-module@vger.kernel.org and netfilter-devel@vger.kernel.org 11 hours ago, but it seems to me my message has not delivered yet. Usually it won't take 10 minutes to be delivered. So, I'm thinking my messages was ...

  1. Does vger.kernel.org automatically drop spams?

    Hello.

    I posted a message to netdev@vger.kernel.org,
    linux-security-module@vger.kernel.org and netfilter-devel@vger.kernel.org
    11 hours ago, but it seems to me my message has not delivered yet.
    Usually it won't take 10 minutes to be delivered.
    So, I'm thinking my messages was dropped.

    Does vger.kernel.org have spam filter and automatically drop spams?

    Regards.

  2. Re: Does vger.kernel.org automatically drop spams?

    On Wed, 5 Dec 2007, Tetsuo Handa wrote:

    > Does vger.kernel.org have spam filter and automatically drop spams?

    It definitely does, otherwise the lists would be flooded with spam (as for
    example sourceforge mailinglist are).

    --
    Jiri Kosina

  3. Re: Does vger.kernel.org automatically drop spams?

    On Wed, Dec 05, 2007 at 10:25:52PM +0900, Tetsuo Handa wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > I posted a message to netdev@vger.kernel.org,
    > linux-security-module@vger.kernel.org and netfilter-devel@vger.kernel.org
    > 11 hours ago, but it seems to me my message has not delivered yet.
    > Usually it won't take 10 minutes to be delivered.
    > So, I'm thinking my messages was dropped.
    >
    > Does vger.kernel.org have spam filter and automatically drop spams?

    Yes. Yes. And even worse: SILENTLY drop it. The reason was:

    global taboo header: m!OJFS!

    I don't recall why that was declared taboo, but it apparently bites
    on References: headers.. Entirely unintentional, I assure you.

    We (the postmasters) can approve your messages for posting, but it
    will take a few hours that I get off work, and have time to do it.
    (I need to do some additional setups, all those lists are not
    in my existing majordomo password database..)

    > Regards.

    /Matti Aarnio -- one of

  4. Re: Does vger.kernel.org automatically drop spams?

    From: Tetsuo Handa
    Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 22:25:52 +0900

    > I posted a message to netdev@vger.kernel.org,
    > linux-security-module@vger.kernel.org and netfilter-devel@vger.kernel.org
    > 11 hours ago, but it seems to me my message has not delivered yet.
    > Usually it won't take 10 minutes to be delivered.
    > So, I'm thinking my messages was dropped.
    >
    > Does vger.kernel.org have spam filter and automatically drop spams?

    Yes, I even saw the bounces but I didn't save them to
    report the problem to you sorry :-(

  5. Re: Does vger.kernel.org automatically drop spams?

    Hello.

    Matti Aarnio wrote:
    > > Does vger.kernel.org have spam filter and automatically drop spams?

    > Yes. Yes. And even worse: SILENTLY drop it. The reason was:
    >
    > global taboo header: m!OJFS!
    >
    > I don't recall why that was declared taboo, but it apparently bites
    > on References: headers.. Entirely unintentional, I assure you.

    I see. Thank you.

    Well, may be my address was registered as a spammer.

    What should I do to post my message?

    Should I use different From: address?
    Should I stop sending to multiple lists?

    > We (the postmasters) can approve your messages for posting, but it
    > will take a few hours that I get off work, and have time to do it.
    > (I need to do some additional setups, all those lists are not
    > in my existing majordomo password database..)

    Should I wait for your approval?

    Regards.

  6. Re: Does vger.kernel.org automatically drop spams?

    On Wed, Dec 05, 2007 at 10:45:15PM +0900, Tetsuo Handa wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > Matti Aarnio wrote:
    > > > Does vger.kernel.org have spam filter and automatically drop spams?

    > > Yes. Yes. And even worse: SILENTLY drop it. The reason was:
    > >
    > > global taboo header: m!OJFS!
    > >
    > > I don't recall why that was declared taboo, but it apparently bites
    > > on References: headers.. Entirely unintentional, I assure you.

    > I see. Thank you.
    >
    > Well, may be my address was registered as a spammer.

    No.

    > What should I do to post my message?

    Wait a bit.

    > Should I use different From: address?
    > Should I stop sending to multiple lists?

    No, no.

    > > We (the postmasters) can approve your messages for posting, but it
    > > will take a few hours that I get off work, and have time to do it.
    > > (I need to do some additional setups, all those lists are not
    > > in my existing majordomo password database..)

    > Should I wait for your approval?

    Please do, unless DaveM can do it quicker than me..

    > Regards.

    /Matti Aarnio

  7. Re: Does vger.kernel.org automatically drop spams?

    Tetsuo Handa wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > Matti Aarnio wrote:
    >>> Does vger.kernel.org have spam filter and automatically drop spams?

    >> Yes. Yes. And even worse: SILENTLY drop it. The reason was:
    >>
    >> global taboo header: m!OJFS!
    >>
    >> I don't recall why that was declared taboo, but it apparently bites
    >> on References: headers.. Entirely unintentional, I assure you.

    > I see. Thank you.
    >
    > Well, may be my address was registered as a spammer.
    >
    > What should I do to post my message?
    >
    > Should I use different From: address?
    > Should I stop sending to multiple lists?

    Since this was in the References header, stop replying to messages with
    OFJS in the Message-Id would do it, if I read Matti's reply correctly.

    Were other replies also blocked, Matti? Does the filter hit References:
    but not In-Reply-To: and so apply to responses to the post found in a
    newsgroup but not on the mailing list?

    >> We (the postmasters) can approve your messages for posting, but it
    >> will take a few hours that I get off work, and have time to do it.
    >> (I need to do some additional setups, all those lists are not
    >> in my existing majordomo password database..)

    > Should I wait for your approval?

    --
    Bill Davidsen