Re: x86: optimize page faults like all other achitectures and kill notifier cruft - Kernel

This is a discussion on Re: x86: optimize page faults like all other achitectures and kill notifier cruft - Kernel ; Ever since I started to try to get at least some fundamental infrastructure pieces merged for using NLKD on Linux I was told that direct calls out of exception handlers for the sake of an individual (and perhaps even small) ...

  1. Re: x86: optimize page faults like all other achitectures and kill notifier cruft

    Ever since I started to try to get at least some fundamental infrastructure
    pieces merged for using NLKD on Linux I was told that direct calls out of
    exception handlers for the sake of an individual (and perhaps even small)
    sub-system is undesirable.

    Making the exception notifiers report the right (correct) information (and,
    specific to x86, ensuring they get called in the right place) was one of the
    fundamental things, and just now I see that this is being reverted for (in
    my eyes) no good reason: Instead of adding direct calls to x86, all the
    other architectures should have followed the notifier model in order for
    the infrastructure to be usable by external components, especially if
    these aren't allowed into the kernel.

    Am I to conclude that replacing direct calls elsewhere in the tree (in order
    to e.g. avoid all kinds of small sub-components leaving their footprint in
    core files like kernel/fork.c) is no longer a desirable goal, thereby making
    it almost impossible to ever host a kernel debugger *without* having to
    patch core files.

    Thanks, Jan

  2. Re: x86: optimize page faults like all other achitectures and kill notifier cruft

    On Monday 03 December 2007 14:31, Jan Beulich wrote:
    > Making the exception notifiers report the right (correct) information (and,
    > specific to x86, ensuring they get called in the right place) was one of
    > the fundamental things, and just now I see that this is being reverted for
    > (in my eyes) no good reason:

    FWIW I agree it would be better to put the notifiers back.

    -Andi