Module for keyboard statistics / What should I look at? - Kernel

This is a discussion on Module for keyboard statistics / What should I look at? - Kernel ; Hi. More than 2 years ago I wrote a small non-portable patch [1] to gather some statistics about keyboard usage[2] ( I show the counters with modulo 10 but still this is a security risk. Perhaps some random noise should ...

  1. Module for keyboard statistics / What should I look at?

    Hi.

    More than 2 years ago I wrote a small non-portable patch [1] to gather
    some statistics
    about keyboard usage[2] ( I show the counters with modulo 10 but still this is a
    security risk. Perhaps some random noise should be added ).

    [1] http://svn.arhuaco.org/svn/src/pcgot...x-2.6.12.2.txt
    [2] http://pcgotchi.blogspot.com/2005/10/11140-times.html

    I liked to use this in my PC but stopped using this because I didn't
    want to compile whenever I
    upgraded Kernels (Debian).

    I thought I had already asked in LKML as suggested by Blaisorblade[3],
    but I did ask in
    kernelnewbies instead[4].

    [3] http://www.mail-archive.com/user-mod.../msg02168.html
    [4] http://mail.nl.linux.org/kernelnewbi.../msg00367.html

    My questions are:

    * What should I read to do this in a module?
    * Is there a better way to to this? (perhaps using /dev/input/... and
    a user-space program) ?

    Regards,
    Nelson.-

    PS: I don't wish to write a keylogger. I really want the statistics
    and you are screwed if
    someone gets to be root in your machine anyway.

    --
    http://arhuaco.org
    -

  2. Re: Module for keyboard statistics / What should I look at?

    On Tue 2007-11-27 20:07:16, Nelson Castillo wrote:
    > Hi.
    >
    > More than 2 years ago I wrote a small non-portable patch [1] to gather
    > some statistics
    > about keyboard usage[2] ( I show the counters with modulo 10 but still this is a
    > security risk. Perhaps some random noise should be added ).

    RSI prevention?

    > My questions are:
    >
    > * What should I read to do this in a module?
    > * Is there a better way to to this? (perhaps using /dev/input/... and
    > a user-space program) ?

    Yep, I think you should be using /dev/input.

    Pavel
    (cesky, pictures) http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pav...rses/blog.html