Re: [PATCH][retry-2] init: Introduce rootdir bootparm to select which dir to sys_chroot - Kernel

This is a discussion on Re: [PATCH][retry-2] init: Introduce rootdir bootparm to select which dir to sys_chroot - Kernel ; Al Boldi wrote: > Second try; this time with a doc-update, and the ability to remount normally. > > Tested against 2.6.23. > > --- > > This patch introduces a rootdir kernel boot parameter, which specifies the > path ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Re: [PATCH][retry-2] init: Introduce rootdir bootparm to select which dir to sys_chroot

  1. Re: [PATCH][retry-2] init: Introduce rootdir bootparm to select which dir to sys_chroot

    Al Boldi wrote:

    > Second try; this time with a doc-update, and the ability to remount normally.
    >
    > Tested against 2.6.23.
    >
    > ---
    >
    > This patch introduces a rootdir kernel boot parameter, which specifies the
    > path to the kernel sys_chroot boot dir.
    >
    > This is useful for systems that have more than one distribution installed on
    > the same fs/partition.


    1) This is useful for booting a rescue or test system, too. In those cases,
    you might want to have the old root moved somewhere.
    (Always "$rootdir/oldroot"? Additional parameter? I'm not sure ...)

    2) You use a static buffer, but you don't check for bad return values of
    strlcat().

    -
    To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
    the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
    More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
    Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

  2. Re: [PATCH][retry-2] init: Introduce rootdir bootparm to select which dir to sys_chroot

    Bodo Eggert wrote:
    >
    > 1) This is useful for booting a rescue or test system, too. In those cases,
    > you might want to have the old root moved somewhere.
    > (Always "$rootdir/oldroot"? Additional parameter? I'm not sure ...)
    >


    Again, this is a good example of why this really shouldn't be additional
    hacks in kernel space.

    -hpa
    -
    To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
    the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
    More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
    Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

  3. Re: [PATCH][retry-2] init: Introduce rootdir bootparm to select which dir to sys_chroot

    On Sun, 18 Nov 2007, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    > Bodo Eggert wrote:


    >> 1) This is useful for booting a rescue or test system, too. In those cases,
    >> you might want to have the old root moved somewhere.
    >> (Always "$rootdir/oldroot"? Additional parameter? I'm not sure ...)
    >>

    >
    > Again, this is a good example of why this really shouldn't be additional
    > hacks in kernel space.


    ACK, but until kinit is default (and Godot arrives), this little hack does
    seem to be useful.

    --
    Top 100 things you don't want the sysadmin to say:
    63. Oracle will be down until 8pm, but you can come back in and finish your
    work when it comes up tonight.
    -
    To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
    the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
    More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
    Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

  4. Re: [PATCH][retry-2] init: Introduce rootdir bootparm to select which dir to sys_chroot

    Bodo Eggert wrote:
    > On Sun, 18 Nov 2007, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    >> Bodo Eggert wrote:

    >
    >>> 1) This is useful for booting a rescue or test system, too. In those cases,
    >>> you might want to have the old root moved somewhere.
    >>> (Always "$rootdir/oldroot"? Additional parameter? I'm not sure ...)
    >>>

    >> Again, this is a good example of why this really shouldn't be additional
    >> hacks in kernel space.

    >
    > ACK, but until kinit is default (and Godot arrives), this little hack does
    > seem to be useful.


    I disagree, on two accounts:

    a. For as long as we keep throwing more crap into the kernel, kinit will
    not get merged, because it "provides no new functionality."

    b. You don't need kinit and kernel-tree integeration to do this in an
    external initramfs. You can do this with any number of codebases as an
    external initramfs.

    -hpa
    -
    To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
    the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
    More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
    Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

  5. Re: [PATCH][retry-2] init: Introduce rootdir bootparm to select which dir to sys_chroot

    H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    > a. For as long as we keep throwing more crap into the kernel, kinit will
    > not get merged, because it "provides no new functionality."


    I'm not really familiar with kinit, but it sounds unfair to hinder new
    features because it would reduce the usefulness of another project.

    kinit should have nothing to fear, as its purpose would not be to add new
    features, but rather to modularize the boot process, by replacing the
    current init, and thus allow for more flexibility to add/modify features.


    Thanks!

    --
    Al
    -
    To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
    the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
    More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
    Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

+ Reply to Thread