cd/dvd inaccessible in 2.6.24-rc2 - Kernel

This is a discussion on cd/dvd inaccessible in 2.6.24-rc2 - Kernel ; Hello, Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 (rev. 1.1) Chipset: Intel P35 + ICH9R PATA port runs off JMicron controller CD/DVD Device: BENQ DW1640 16X I cannot access my dvd burner under 2.6.24-rc2, I have no problems under 2.6.23. Basically the drive is ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: cd/dvd inaccessible in 2.6.24-rc2

  1. cd/dvd inaccessible in 2.6.24-rc2


    Hello,

    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 (rev. 1.1)
    Chipset: Intel P35 + ICH9R
    PATA port runs off JMicron controller
    CD/DVD Device: BENQ DW1640 16X

    I cannot access my dvd burner under 2.6.24-rc2, I have no problems under
    2.6.23. Basically the drive is detected OK, everything looks ok but as
    soon as I go to use it errors like this occur:


    ata9.00: qc timeout (cmd 0xa0)
    ata9.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x2 frozen
    ata9.00: cmd a0/00:00:00:02:00/00:00:00:00:00/a0 tag 0 cdb 0x5a data 2
    in
    res 51/54:03:00:02:00/00:00:00:00:00/a0 Emask 0x5 (timeout)
    ata9.00: status: { DRDY ERR }
    ata9: soft resetting link
    ata9.00: revalidation failed (errno=-2)
    ata9: failed to recover some devices, retrying in 5 secs
    ata9: soft resetting link
    ata9.00: qc timeout (cmd 0xa1)
    ata9.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x4)
    ata9.00: revalidation failed (errno=-5)
    ata9: failed to recover some devices, retrying in 5 secs
    ata9: soft resetting link
    ata9.00: qc timeout (cmd 0xa1)
    ata9.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x4)
    ata9.00: revalidation failed (errno=-5)
    ata9.00: disabled
    ata9: soft resetting link
    ata9: EH complete

    The drive is locked up after the first attempt to access it occurs, the
    tray cannot be ejected.


    dmesg output

    http://paste.ubuntu-nl.org/43948/

    kernel .config

    http://paste.ubuntu-nl.org/43944/

    lspci -vvvxxxx

    http://paste.ubuntu-nl.org/43950/



    Regards,

    Will Trives

    -
    To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
    the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
    More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
    Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

  2. Re: cd/dvd inaccessible in 2.6.24-rc2

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 15:27:11 +1100 Will Trives wrote:

    >
    > Hello,
    >
    > Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 (rev. 1.1)
    > Chipset: Intel P35 + ICH9R
    > PATA port runs off JMicron controller
    > CD/DVD Device: BENQ DW1640 16X
    >
    > I cannot access my dvd burner under 2.6.24-rc2, I have no problems under
    > 2.6.23. Basically the drive is detected OK, everything looks ok but as
    > soon as I go to use it errors like this occur:
    >
    >
    > ata9.00: qc timeout (cmd 0xa0)
    > ata9.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x2 frozen
    > ata9.00: cmd a0/00:00:00:02:00/00:00:00:00:00/a0 tag 0 cdb 0x5a data 2
    > in
    > res 51/54:03:00:02:00/00:00:00:00:00/a0 Emask 0x5 (timeout)
    > ata9.00: status: { DRDY ERR }
    > ata9: soft resetting link
    > ata9.00: revalidation failed (errno=-2)
    > ata9: failed to recover some devices, retrying in 5 secs
    > ata9: soft resetting link
    > ata9.00: qc timeout (cmd 0xa1)
    > ata9.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x4)
    > ata9.00: revalidation failed (errno=-5)
    > ata9: failed to recover some devices, retrying in 5 secs
    > ata9: soft resetting link
    > ata9.00: qc timeout (cmd 0xa1)
    > ata9.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x4)
    > ata9.00: revalidation failed (errno=-5)
    > ata9.00: disabled
    > ata9: soft resetting link
    > ata9: EH complete
    >
    > The drive is locked up after the first attempt to access it occurs, the
    > tray cannot be ejected.
    >
    >
    > dmesg output
    >
    > http://paste.ubuntu-nl.org/43948/
    >
    > kernel .config
    >
    > http://paste.ubuntu-nl.org/43944/
    >
    > lspci -vvvxxxx
    >
    > http://paste.ubuntu-nl.org/43950/
    >


    Thanks for letting us know.

    Added linux-ide Cc.

    Rafael, it looks like another regression.
    -
    To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
    the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
    More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
    Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

  3. Re: cd/dvd inaccessible in 2.6.24-rc2

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 14:49:23 -0800
    Andrew Morton wrote:

    > On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 15:27:11 +1100 Will Trives wrote:
    >
    > >
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 (rev. 1.1)
    > > Chipset: Intel P35 + ICH9R
    > > PATA port runs off JMicron controller
    > > CD/DVD Device: BENQ DW1640 16X
    > >
    > > I cannot access my dvd burner under 2.6.24-rc2, I have no problems under
    > > 2.6.23. Basically the drive is detected OK, everything looks ok but as
    > > soon as I go to use it errors like this occur:


    Guess what - jmicron hasn't changed in this tree for ages 8(

    > > ata9.00: qc timeout (cmd 0xa0)
    > > ata9.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x2 frozen
    > > ata9.00: cmd a0/00:00:00:02:00/00:00:00:00:00/a0 tag 0 cdb 0x5a data 2
    > > in
    > > res 51/54:03:00:02:00/00:00:00:00:00/a0 Emask 0x5 (timeout)
    > > ata9.00: status: { DRDY ERR }


    Could be an IRQ/ACPI regression, and in fact to me it looks more like
    that, than an IDE one. Probably worth trying the various IRQ routing
    options and seeing if they help.


    Alan
    -
    To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
    the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
    More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
    Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

  4. Re: cd/dvd inaccessible in 2.6.24-rc2

    Alan Cox wrote:
    >>> ata9.00: qc timeout (cmd 0xa0)
    >>> ata9.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x2 frozen
    >>> ata9.00: cmd a0/00:00:00:02:00/00:00:00:00:00/a0 tag 0 cdb 0x5a data 2
    >>> in
    >>> res 51/54:03:00:02:00/00:00:00:00:00/a0 Emask 0x5 (timeout)
    >>> ata9.00: status: { DRDY ERR }

    >
    > Could be an IRQ/ACPI regression, and in fact to me it looks more like
    > that, than an IDE one. Probably worth trying the various IRQ routing
    > options and seeing if they help.



    Agreed, though the output is indeed signalling an error... IMO the EH
    should handle the error if the device is signalling an error, upon
    timeout, rather than just going ahead and resetting the device.

    Its similar to where ATA devices on PCI SFF controllers signal DMA error
    via timeout, where EH must inspect BMDMA Status register to determine if
    it's a DMA error signalled by hardware, or something that requires
    additional autopsy.

    EH for ATAPI is quite different from EH for ATA, so there may be some
    areas where we don't handle things the right way for ATAPI.

    Decoding the error message we have:

    cdb 0x5a ==
    MODE SENSE(10)
    status 0x51 ==
    DRDY
    command-specific flag (aka SERV, in !overlap case)
    CHK (check condition, aka error)
    error 0x54 ==
    ABRT (command aborted or command parameter invalid)
    sense key 0x5 (illegal request)
    ireason 0x3 ==
    the hardcoded values (bits 0 and 1) remain hardcoded, all good

    Since BSY is not set in the Status register, and given the other
    information derived from the decoded values, it looks like the device is
    otherwise happy and ready to accept additional commands.

    It appears to have chewed on an ATAPI command, spit it out, but failed
    to send a completion interrupt.

    So its an open question whether it's a device not completing this
    errored-out command, or whether its IRQ/ACPI stuff infecting libata.

    Jeff


    -
    To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
    the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
    More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
    Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

  5. Re: cd/dvd inaccessible in 2.6.24-rc2

    Will Trives wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 (rev. 1.1)
    > Chipset: Intel P35 + ICH9R
    > PATA port runs off JMicron controller
    > CD/DVD Device: BENQ DW1640 16X
    >
    > I cannot access my dvd burner under 2.6.24-rc2, I have no problems under
    > 2.6.23. Basically the drive is detected OK, everything looks ok but as
    > soon as I go to use it errors like this occur:


    Is 2.6.24-rc1 also broken?

    Jeff



    -
    To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
    the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
    More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
    Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

  6. Re: cd/dvd inaccessible in 2.6.24-rc2

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 23:05:53 +0000 Alan Cox wrote:

    > > > ata9.00: qc timeout (cmd 0xa0)
    > > > ata9.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x2 frozen
    > > > ata9.00: cmd a0/00:00:00:02:00/00:00:00:00:00/a0 tag 0 cdb 0x5a data 2
    > > > in
    > > > res 51/54:03:00:02:00/00:00:00:00:00/a0 Emask 0x5 (timeout)
    > > > ata9.00: status: { DRDY ERR }

    >
    > Could be an IRQ/ACPI regression, and in fact to me it looks more like
    > that, than an IDE one.


    Drat. Seems that once we break that sort of thing we never fix it again.

    > Probably worth trying the various IRQ routing
    > options and seeing if they help.


    Yup.

    Please, if you have time, bisect it down to the offending commit?

    There's info at http://www.kernel.org/doc/local/git-quick.html which should
    help.

    Thanks.
    -
    To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
    the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
    More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
    Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

  7. Re: cd/dvd inaccessible in 2.6.24-rc2

    Hello Jeff,

    Yes it is. I'll keep testing with previous kernels.

    Dmesg does look different with 2.6.23 vs 2.6.24-rc2

    This is 2.6.23 :

    scsi8 : pata_jmicron
    scsi9 : pata_jmicron
    ata9: PATA max UDMA/100 cmd 0x000000000001c000 ctl 0x000000000001c102 bmdma 0x000000000001c400 irq 17
    ata10: PATA max UDMA/100 cmd 0x000000000001c200 ctl 0x000000000001c302 bmdma 0x000000000001c408 irq 17
    ata9.00: ATAPI: BENQ DVD DD DW1640, BSRB, max UDMA/33
    ata9.00: configured for UDMA/33
    ata9: EH pending after completion, repeating EH (cnt=4)
    scsi 8:0:0:0: CD-ROM BENQ DVD DD DW1640 BSRB PQ: 0 ANSI: 5


    This is 2.6.24-rc2 :

    scsi8 : pata_jmicron
    scsi9 : pata_jmicron
    ata9: PATA max UDMA/100 cmd 0xc000 ctl 0xc100 bmdma 0xc400 irq 17
    ata10: PATA max UDMA/100 cmd 0xc200 ctl 0xc300 bmdma 0xc408 irq 17
    ata9.00: ATAPI: BENQ DVD DD DW1640, BSRB, max UDMA/33
    ata9.00: configured for UDMA/33
    scsi 8:0:0:0: CD-ROM BENQ DVD DD DW1640 BSRB PQ: 0 ANSI: 5

    Regards,

    Will Trives

    On Sat, 2007-11-10 at 18:35 -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
    > Will Trives wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 (rev. 1.1)
    > > Chipset: Intel P35 + ICH9R
    > > PATA port runs off JMicron controller
    > > CD/DVD Device: BENQ DW1640 16X
    > >
    > > I cannot access my dvd burner under 2.6.24-rc2, I have no problems under
    > > 2.6.23. Basically the drive is detected OK, everything looks ok but as
    > > soon as I go to use it errors like this occur:

    >
    > Is 2.6.24-rc1 also broken?
    >
    > Jeff
    >
    >


    -
    To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
    the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
    More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
    Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

  8. Re: cd/dvd inaccessible in 2.6.24-rc2

    Hello,


    My mistake, it looks like the issue is to do with writing only.

    Mounting a standard DVD works fine with 2.6.24-rc2-git2.

    As soon as I try to use wodim or load k3b, that's when drive gets locked
    up.

    The issue was still there with 2.6.23-git15 , I will continue to test
    with previous ones.


    Regards,

    Will Trives


    On Sun, 2007-11-11 at 15:40 +1100, Will Trives wrote:
    > Hello Jeff,
    >
    > Yes it is. I'll keep testing with previous kernels.
    >
    > Dmesg does look different with 2.6.23 vs 2.6.24-rc2
    >
    > This is 2.6.23 :
    >
    > scsi8 : pata_jmicron
    > scsi9 : pata_jmicron
    > ata9: PATA max UDMA/100 cmd 0x000000000001c000 ctl 0x000000000001c102 bmdma 0x000000000001c400 irq 17
    > ata10: PATA max UDMA/100 cmd 0x000000000001c200 ctl 0x000000000001c302 bmdma 0x000000000001c408 irq 17
    > ata9.00: ATAPI: BENQ DVD DD DW1640, BSRB, max UDMA/33
    > ata9.00: configured for UDMA/33
    > ata9: EH pending after completion, repeating EH (cnt=4)
    > scsi 8:0:0:0: CD-ROM BENQ DVD DD DW1640 BSRB PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
    >
    >
    > This is 2.6.24-rc2 :
    >
    > scsi8 : pata_jmicron
    > scsi9 : pata_jmicron
    > ata9: PATA max UDMA/100 cmd 0xc000 ctl 0xc100 bmdma 0xc400 irq 17
    > ata10: PATA max UDMA/100 cmd 0xc200 ctl 0xc300 bmdma 0xc408 irq 17
    > ata9.00: ATAPI: BENQ DVD DD DW1640, BSRB, max UDMA/33
    > ata9.00: configured for UDMA/33
    > scsi 8:0:0:0: CD-ROM BENQ DVD DD DW1640 BSRB PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Will Trives
    >
    > On Sat, 2007-11-10 at 18:35 -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
    > > Will Trives wrote:
    > > > Hello,
    > > >
    > > > Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 (rev. 1.1)
    > > > Chipset: Intel P35 + ICH9R
    > > > PATA port runs off JMicron controller
    > > > CD/DVD Device: BENQ DW1640 16X
    > > >
    > > > I cannot access my dvd burner under 2.6.24-rc2, I have no problems under
    > > > 2.6.23. Basically the drive is detected OK, everything looks ok but as
    > > > soon as I go to use it errors like this occur:

    > >
    > > Is 2.6.24-rc1 also broken?
    > >
    > > Jeff
    > >
    > >


    -
    To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
    the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
    More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
    Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

  9. Re: cd/dvd inaccessible in 2.6.24-rc2

    Will Trives wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    >
    > My mistake, it looks like the issue is to do with writing only.
    >
    > Mounting a standard DVD works fine with 2.6.24-rc2-git2.
    >
    > As soon as I try to use wodim or load k3b, that's when drive gets locked
    > up.
    >
    > The issue was still there with 2.6.23-git15 , I will continue to test
    > with previous ones.


    I think I now know what's wrong with all these ATAPI issues. I'm
    working on generic solution. Please standby a bit.

    Thanks.

    --
    tejun
    -
    To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
    the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
    More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
    Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

+ Reply to Thread