error: Eeek! page_mapcount(page) went negative! (-1) with different process and kernels - Kernel

This is a discussion on error: Eeek! page_mapcount(page) went negative! (-1) with different process and kernels - Kernel ; ...

  1. error: Eeek! page_mapcount(page) went negative! (-1) with different process and kernels

  2. Re: error: Eeek! page_mapcount(page) went negative! (-1) with different process and kernels

    On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 07:17:32PM +0200, Arnaud Fontaine wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > We have often the following error from the kernel:
    >

    > sshd[1551] trap invalid opcode rip:2aeacc0677a0 rsp:7fffe0c7e688 error:0
    > Eeek! page_mapcount(page) went negative! (-1)
    > page pfn = 7f7a8
    > page->flags = 400000000001002c
    > page->count = 1
    > page->mapping = ffff810056170550
    > vma->vm_ops = 0xffffffff80667ba0
    > vma->vm_ops->nopage = _stext+0x7fdf7000/0x20
    > vma->vm_ops->fault = filemap_fault+0x0/0x450
    > vma->vm_file->f_op->mmap = generic_file_mmap+0x0/0x50
    >
    > We have tested with different kernel (2.6.23.1 and 2.6.22) and the same
    > error happens with different process. Any idea for knowing what could
    > cause this error?

    Many of these that I've seen have turned out to be a hardware problem.
    Try running memtest86+ on that machine for a while.
    It doesn't catch all problems, but it will highlight more common memory faults.

    Dave

    --
    http://www.codemonkey.org.uk
    -

  3. Re: error: Eeek! page_mapcount(page) went negative! (-1) with different process and kernels

    Dave> Many of these that I've seen have turned out to be a hardware
    Dave> problem. Try running memtest86+ on that machine for a while.
    Dave> It doesn't catch all problems, but it will highlight more
    Dave> common memory faults.

    Hello,

    We ran memtest86+ before production, it was about one month ago. Do you
    think it could come from that anyway?

    Regards,
    Arnaud Fontaine
    -

  4. Re: error: Eeek! page_mapcount(page) went negative! (-1) with different process and kernels

    On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 01:03:02AM +0200, Arnaud Fontaine wrote:

    > Dave> Many of these that I've seen have turned out to be a hardware
    > Dave> problem. Try running memtest86+ on that machine for a while.
    > Dave> It doesn't catch all problems, but it will highlight more
    > Dave> common memory faults.
    >
    > Hello,
    >
    > We ran memtest86+ before production, it was about one month ago. Do you
    > think it could come from that anyway?

    Not impossible. Hardware failures can occur at any time.
    Somewhat unlikely though. As I mentioned, memtest also doesn't trap
    all hardware problems. I have a board that passes memtest with flying
    colours, yet dies under even slight load. Examination of the board
    shows that it has leaking capacitors.

    Dave

    --
    http://www.codemonkey.org.uk
    -

  5. Re: error: Eeek! page_mapcount(page) went negative! (-1) with different process and kernels

    Arnaud Fontaine writes:

    > Dave> Many of these that I've seen have turned out to be a hardware
    > Dave> problem. Try running memtest86+ on that machine for a while.
    > Dave> It doesn't catch all problems, but it will highlight more
    > Dave> common memory faults.
    >
    > Hello,
    >
    > We ran memtest86+ before production, it was about one month ago. Do you
    > think it could come from that anyway?

    I find that a lot of the time memtest does not reveal an error. Only
    when you combine multiple sources or on random access do you get
    errors. For example compiling a kernel while doing heavy I/O on the
    disk. But that might just be me. Errors are rather random occurances.

    Compiling a kernel repeadatly and multiple in parallel is usualy a
    good test. If it sometimes fails to compile then it is near certain a
    hardware error.

    MfG
    Goswin
    -