Re: sleepy linux 2.6.23-rc9 - Kernel

This is a discussion on Re: sleepy linux 2.6.23-rc9 - Kernel ; Pavel Machek schrieb: > I played with powertop a bit, and found a fairly interesting failure > mode. If I boot init=/bin/bash vga=1, I get ~2 wakeups a second, nice. > > When I boot init=/bin/bash vga=791 (vesa framebuffer), most ...

  1. Re: sleepy linux 2.6.23-rc9

    Pavel Machek schrieb:
    > I played with powertop a bit, and found a fairly interesting failure
    > mode. If I boot init=/bin/bash vga=1, I get ~2 wakeups a second, nice.
    >
    > When I boot init=/bin/bash vga=791 (vesa framebuffer), most wakeups
    > are caused by cursor painting (I should fix that some day, I
    > guess). But... the cursor blinking does not even work properly!
    >
    > It blinks at normal speed, then (randomly) it blinks slowly, then gets
    > back to normal speed, then inserts longer delay.

    Is the effect a beat that it has roughly the frequency of your Notebooks
    screen refresh rate (60Hz)? (in german: Schwebung)

    > The effect is so nice that I thought about youtube ;-). Thinkpad
    > x60.. question is, how to debug it?

    No idea... check where the register of the HW cursor blink rate
    gets written? But as it seems to be so nice, please submit a patch
    which enables this for all platforms. ;-)

    Regards,
    --
    Clemens Koller
    _______________________________

    http://www.anagramm-technology.com
    Phone: +49-89-741518-50
    Fax: +49-89-741518-19
    -

  2. Re: sleepy linux 2.6.23-rc9

    Clemens Koller wrote:

    >> When I boot init=/bin/bash vga=791 (vesa framebuffer), most wakeups
    >> are caused by cursor painting (I should fix that some day, I
    >> guess). But... the cursor blinking does not even work properly!
    >>
    >> It blinks at normal speed, then (randomly) it blinks slowly, then gets
    >> back to normal speed, then inserts longer delay.

    > Is the effect a beat that it has roughly the frequency of your Notebooks
    > screen refresh rate (60Hz)? (in german: Schwebung)
    >
    >> The effect is so nice that I thought about youtube ;-). Thinkpad
    >> x60.. question is, how to debug it?

    > No idea... check where the register of the HW cursor blink rate
    > gets written? But as it seems to be so nice, please submit a patch
    > which enables this for all platforms. ;-)

    For the VESA framebuffer I would assume the cursor blinking is done in
    software (if done at all.)

    -hpa
    -