irqbalance considered obsolete by powertop - Kernel

This is a discussion on irqbalance considered obsolete by powertop - Kernel ; Hi! Powertop tells me that irqbalance is obsolete/burns too much power, while it is default Y and its help test does not provide any clues: Enable kernel irq balancing (IRQBALANCE) [Y/n/?] (NEW) ? The default yes will allow the kernel ...

  1. irqbalance considered obsolete by powertop

    Hi!

    Powertop tells me that irqbalance is obsolete/burns too much power,
    while it is default Y and its help test does not provide any clues:

    Enable kernel irq balancing (IRQBALANCE) [Y/n/?] (NEW) ?

    The default yes will allow the kernel to do irq load balancing.
    Saying no will keep the kernel from doing irq load balancing.

    ....should the help text be updated?
    Pavel
    (cesky, pictures) http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pav...rses/blog.html
    -

  2. Re: irqbalance considered obsolete by powertop

    On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 09:25:55 +0200
    Pavel Machek wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > Powertop tells me that irqbalance is obsolete/burns too much power,
    > while it is default Y and its help test does not provide any clues:

    it is obsoleted.. (by the userspace balancer)

    > Enable kernel irq balancing (IRQBALANCE) [Y/n/?] (NEW) ?
    >
    > The default yes will allow the kernel to do irq load balancing.
    > Saying no will keep the kernel from doing irq load balancing.
    >
    > ...should the help text be updated?

    that and the feature should probably be put in feature-removal
    -