Re: 2.6.23-rc7-mm1 - Kernel

This is a discussion on Re: 2.6.23-rc7-mm1 - Kernel ; On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 21:20:58 +0200 Peter Zijlstra wrote: > > > Nope, and the stacktrace is utterly puzzling. > > > > > > /me goes read the lkml.org link > > > > > > Kamalesh Babulal: ...

  1. Re: 2.6.23-rc7-mm1

    wrote:

    > > > Nope, and the stacktrace is utterly puzzling.
    > > >
    > > > /me goes read the lkml.org link
    > > >
    > > > Kamalesh Babulal: do you still get:
    > > > BUG: spinlock bad magic on
    > > >
    > > > msgs?
    > > >
    > > > Because those I could reproduce using fsx, and I fixed all that.

    > > Hi Peter,
    > >
    > > I do not get BUG: spinlock bad magic messages any more, but the softlock message is
    > > thrown more than 30 time, while running the ltp runall.

    > It would be good to know what function on_each_cpu is executing, could
    > you try something like:

    I've just completed 2 full ltp runs on a dual-core opteron machine but
    could not reproduce this problem.

    Kamalesh, would it be possible for you to reproduce with that patch, so
    we can see what function is holding up the cpu?
    -

  2. Re: 2.6.23-rc7-mm1

    Peter Zijlstra wrote:

    >>> Hi Peter,
    >>>
    >>> I do not get BUG: spinlock bad magic messages any more, but the softlock message is
    >>> thrown more than 30 time, while running the ltp runall.

    >> It would be good to know what function on_each_cpu is executing, could
    >> you try something like:

    > I've just completed 2 full ltp runs on a dual-core opteron machine but
    > could not reproduce this problem.
    >
    > Kamalesh, would it be possible for you to reproduce with that patch, so
    > we can see what function is holding up the cpu?

    Hi Peter,

    After running the test with the patch you provided, i observed an oops message
    which was at the top of the these soft lockup message and the oops is the same as
    the oops reported at http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/9/24/107.

    And when i applied the patch for the oops proposed at
    http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/9/25/57 the oops as well as the soft lockup's are not seen.

    --
    Thanks & Regards,
    Kamalesh Babulal,