lib-y vs EXPORT_SYMBOL: who wins? - Kernel

This is a discussion on lib-y vs EXPORT_SYMBOL: who wins? - Kernel ; Various files under lib/ are linked into a .a so they only get linked if needed. But many of these functions are also EXPORT_SYMBOL()ed. This doesn't really make sense: if it's exported it really needs to be present. Certain configurations ...

  1. lib-y vs EXPORT_SYMBOL: who wins?

    Various files under lib/ are linked into a .a so they only get linked if
    needed. But many of these functions are also EXPORT_SYMBOL()ed.

    This doesn't really make sense: if it's exported it really needs to be
    present. Certain configurations can hit this (lguest uses kasprintf,
    and can be a module).

    We could do something hacky and try to figure out if any modules need
    the symbols, which screws modules built later, but is no worse than a
    CONFIG_-based solution.

    Or to we just move all the exported functions out of the .a?

    Cheers,
    Rusty.

    -

  2. Re: lib-y vs EXPORT_SYMBOL: who wins?

    On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 03:07:44PM +1000, Rusty Russell wrote:
    > Various files under lib/ are linked into a .a so they only get linked if
    > needed. But many of these functions are also EXPORT_SYMBOL()ed.
    >
    > This doesn't really make sense: if it's exported it really needs to be
    > present. Certain configurations can hit this (lguest uses kasprintf,
    > and can be a module).
    >
    > We could do something hacky and try to figure out if any modules need
    > the symbols, which screws modules built later, but is no worse than a
    > CONFIG_-based solution.
    >
    > Or to we just move all the exported functions out of the .a?

    I am all for killing lib-y altogether. But do not want to sacrify
    kernel bloat for this.
    hch suggested a bit of Kconfig tricekery and that seems
    like an OK plan to me.
    But I'm not in a position to do the detective work at the moment -
    feed up with oter stuff for now.

    Sam
    -