On Sep 24, 2007, at 13:32:23, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 21, 2007 at 11:37:52PM +0100, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
>> But I compile net/* into bzImage. I like netbooting

> Isn't it possible to netboot with an initramfs image? I am pretty
> sure I have seen some systems do exactly that.

Yeah, I've got Debian boxes that have never *not* netbooted (one Dell
Op^?^?Craptiplex box whose BIOS and ACPI sucks so bad it can't even
load GRUB/LILO, although Windows somehow works fine). So they boot
PXELinux using the PXE boot ROM on the NICs and it loads both a
kernel and an initramfs into memory. Kernel is stock Debian and
hardly has enough built-in to spit at you, let alone find network/
disks, but it manages to load everything it needs off the
automagically-generated initramfs.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett

-