Re: realtime preemption performance difference - Kernel

This is a discussion on Re: realtime preemption performance difference - Kernel ; On 9/24/07, Jaswinder Singh wrote: > Hi all, > > I want to check performance difference by using realtime preemption patch : > > http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/ > > Please let me know from where I can download samples to test realtime ...

  1. Re: realtime preemption performance difference

    On 9/24/07, Jaswinder Singh wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I want to check performance difference by using realtime preemption patch :
    >
    > http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/
    >
    > Please let me know from where I can download samples to test realtime
    > preemption performance difference.

    As far as I know, some embedded linux vendors such as MontaVista
    provide kernel patch to export some interfaces to measure realtime
    performance.

    > Can someone please share performance numbers for your hardware:-
    >
    > 1. Interrupt latency
    > 2. Task switching time
    > 3. hard-realtime scheduling latency
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Jaswinder Singh.
    > -

    -

  2. Re: realtime preemption performance difference

    hello hufey,

    I am not using montavista kernel, I am using standard linux kernel.

    Realtime is known by worst case latencies. Ingo and team are claiming
    for realtime support so their should be some samples and performance
    numbers,

    Can someone please share their samples and/or numbers.

    Thank you,

    Jaswinder Singh.

    On 9/25/07, hufey wrote:
    > On 9/24/07, Jaswinder Singh wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I want to check performance difference by using realtime preemption patch :
    > >
    > > http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/
    > >
    > > Please let me know from where I can download samples to test realtime
    > > preemption performance difference.
    > >

    > As far as I know, some embedded linux vendors such as MontaVista
    > provide kernel patch to export some interfaces to measure realtime
    > performance.
    >
    > > Can someone please share performance numbers for your hardware:-
    > >
    > > 1. Interrupt latency
    > > 2. Task switching time
    > > 3. hard-realtime scheduling latency
    > >
    > > Thank you,
    > >
    > > Jaswinder Singh.
    > > -

    -

  3. Re: realtime preemption performance difference

    Hi Jaswinder,

    On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 12:41:57PM +0530, Jaswinder Singh wrote:
    > hello hufey,
    >
    > I am not using montavista kernel, I am using standard linux kernel.
    >
    > Realtime is known by worst case latencies. Ingo and team are claiming
    > for realtime support so their should be some samples and performance
    > numbers,

    You can obtain several -rt testcases from the RT wiki:
    http://rt.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page Here we have testcases/benchmarks
    for measuring scheduling latencies, priority preemption, signaling latencies, etc
    and other important information on the patchset.

    Hope this helps!

    > Can someone please share their samples and/or numbers.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Jaswinder Singh.
    >
    > On 9/25/07, hufey wrote:
    > > On 9/24/07, Jaswinder Singh wrote:
    > > > Hi all,
    > > >
    > > > I want to check performance difference by using realtime preemption patch :
    > > >
    > > > http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/
    > > >
    > > > Please let me know from where I can download samples to test realtime
    > > > preemption performance difference.
    > > >

    > > As far as I know, some embedded linux vendors such as MontaVista
    > > provide kernel patch to export some interfaces to measure realtime
    > > performance.
    > >
    > > > Can someone please share performance numbers for your hardware:-
    > > >
    > > > 1. Interrupt latency
    > > > 2. Task switching time
    > > > 3. hard-realtime scheduling latency
    > > >
    > > > Thank you,
    > > >
    > > > Jaswinder Singh.
    > > > -
    > > > To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
    > > > the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
    > > > More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
    > > > Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/
    > > >

    > -