Re: 2.6.23-rc7-mm1 - Kernel

This is a discussion on Re: 2.6.23-rc7-mm1 - Kernel ; Hi Kamalesh. > The link error for a PowerMac G5 (powerpc) is still seen with > 2.6.23-rc7-mm1, > and was reported for 2.6.23-rc6-mm1 ( http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/9/19/62 ). > > KSYM .tmp_kallsyms1.S > AS .tmp_kallsyms1.o > LD .tmp_vmlinux2 > KSYM .tmp_kallsyms2.S > ...

  1. Re: 2.6.23-rc7-mm1

    Hi Kamalesh.

    > The link error for a PowerMac G5 (powerpc) is still seen with
    > 2.6.23-rc7-mm1,
    > and was reported for 2.6.23-rc6-mm1 (http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/9/19/62).
    >
    > KSYM .tmp_kallsyms1.S
    > AS .tmp_kallsyms1.o
    > LD .tmp_vmlinux2
    > KSYM .tmp_kallsyms2.S
    > AS .tmp_kallsyms2.o
    > LD vmlinux.o
    > ld: dynreloc miscount for fs/built-in.o, section .opd
    > ld: can not edit opd Bad value
    > make: *** [vmlinux.o] Error 1

    Can you try to narrow it down a bit further...
    As this happens when building fs/built-in.o it should be
    straightforward to do so.

    First step would be to do:
    rm fs/built-in.o
    make fs/ V=1

    Then copy the ld invocation and try to remove the input .o files one-by-one.
    This should tell you which .o file is causing the bug.

    Next step is to try to squeze down the offending file until the
    errornous part remains.

    Last time I did a
    make fs/file.i

    And then I used gcc & ld to compile and link.
    Gradually removing stuff from file.i made me spot the problem
    with the weak prototype in a header file.

    I guess something else is making ld hit this error now.

    PS. Just reinstalled my dev box so no crosscompiler atm.

    Sam
    -

  2. Re: 2.6.23-rc7-mm1

    On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 11:02:22PM +0200, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
    > Hi Kamalesh.
    >
    > > The link error for a PowerMac G5 (powerpc) is still seen with
    > > 2.6.23-rc7-mm1,
    > > and was reported for 2.6.23-rc6-mm1 (http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/9/19/62).
    > >
    > > KSYM .tmp_kallsyms1.S
    > > AS .tmp_kallsyms1.o
    > > LD .tmp_vmlinux2
    > > KSYM .tmp_kallsyms2.S
    > > AS .tmp_kallsyms2.o
    > > LD vmlinux.o
    > > ld: dynreloc miscount for fs/built-in.o, section .opd
    > > ld: can not edit opd Bad value
    > > make: *** [vmlinux.o] Error 1

    > Can you try to narrow it down a bit further...
    > As this happens when building fs/built-in.o it should be
    > straightforward to do so.
    >
    > First step would be to do:
    > rm fs/built-in.o
    > make fs/ V=1
    >
    > Then copy the ld invocation and try to remove the input .o files one-by-one.
    > This should tell you which .o file is causing the bug.
    >
    > Next step is to try to squeze down the offending file until the
    > errornous part remains.
    >
    > Last time I did a
    > make fs/file.i
    >
    > And then I used gcc & ld to compile and link.
    > Gradually removing stuff from file.i made me spot the problem
    > with the weak prototype in a header file.
    >
    > I guess something else is making ld hit this error now.
    >
    > PS. Just reinstalled my dev box so no crosscompiler atm.

    Got powerpc toolchain running now but cannot reproduce.
    What config do you use (I used g5_defconfig)?
    And what ld version?

    Sam
    -

  3. Re: 2.6.23-rc7-mm1

    Sam Ravnborg wrote:
    > On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 11:02:22PM +0200, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
    >> Hi Kamalesh.
    >>
    >>> The link error for a PowerMac G5 (powerpc) is still seen with
    >>> 2.6.23-rc7-mm1,
    >>> and was reported for 2.6.23-rc6-mm1 (http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/9/19/62).
    >>>
    >>> KSYM .tmp_kallsyms1.S
    >>> AS .tmp_kallsyms1.o
    >>> LD .tmp_vmlinux2
    >>> KSYM .tmp_kallsyms2.S
    >>> AS .tmp_kallsyms2.o
    >>> LD vmlinux.o
    >>> ld: dynreloc miscount for fs/built-in.o, section .opd
    >>> ld: can not edit opd Bad value
    >>> make: *** [vmlinux.o] Error 1

    >> Can you try to narrow it down a bit further...
    >> As this happens when building fs/built-in.o it should be
    >> straightforward to do so.
    >>
    >> First step would be to do:
    >> rm fs/built-in.o
    >> make fs/ V=1
    >>
    >> Then copy the ld invocation and try to remove the input .o files one-by-one.
    >> This should tell you which .o file is causing the bug.
    >>
    >> Next step is to try to squeze down the offending file until the
    >> errornous part remains.
    >>
    >> Last time I did a
    >> make fs/file.i
    >>
    >> And then I used gcc & ld to compile and link.
    >> Gradually removing stuff from file.i made me spot the problem
    >> with the weak prototype in a header file.
    >>
    >> I guess something else is making ld hit this error now.
    >>
    >> PS. Just reinstalled my dev box so no crosscompiler atm.

    > Got powerpc toolchain running now but cannot reproduce.
    > What config do you use (I used g5_defconfig)?
    > And what ld version?
    >
    > Sam

    Hi Sam,

    root@elm3b19:~# ld -v
    GNU ld version 2.16.1 Debian GNU/Linux

    root@elm3b19:~# gcc -v
    Using built-in specs.
    Target: powerpc-linux-gnu
    Configured with: ../src/configure -v --enable-languages=c,c++,java,f95,objc,ada,treelang --prefix=/usr --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.0.2 --enable-shared --with-system-zlib --libexecdir=/usr/lib --enable-nls --without-included-gettext --enable-threads=posix --program-suffix=-4.0 --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-libstdcxx-allocator=mt --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-libstdcxx-debug --enable-java-gc=boehm --enable-java-awt=gtk-default --enable-gtk-cairo --with-java-home=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.4.2-gcj-4.0-1.4.2.0/jre --enable-mpfr --disable-softfloat --enable-targets=powerpc-linux,powerpc64-linux --with-cpu=default32 --disable-werror --enable-checking=release powerpc-linux-gnu
    Thread model: posix
    gcc version 4.0.2 20050808 (prerelease) (Ubuntu 4.0.1-4ubuntu9)

    and the .config file is a custom file which i have attached.

    --
    Thanks & Regards,
    Kamalesh Babulal,

+ Reply to Thread