Re: 2.6.23-rc7-mm1 - Kernel

This is a discussion on Re: 2.6.23-rc7-mm1 - Kernel ; On Mon, 2007-09-24 at 12:34 -0700, Andrew Morton wrote: > > It prints twice 'System halted' and blinks the keyboard leds, but does > > not switch off. On all other kernel version I only see one keyboard > > ...

  1. Re: 2.6.23-rc7-mm1

    On Mon, 2007-09-24 at 12:34 -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > > It prints twice 'System halted' and blinks the keyboard leds, but does
    > > not switch off. On all other kernel version I only see one keyboard
    > > blink before the power goes out.

    > ok...
    >
    > > I compared its dmesg to vanilla-rc7 and -rc4-mm1, but expect that rc-4
    > > assigns different IRQs I can't see any differences except the normal
    > > variation in BogoMips etc.

    Can your check whether 2.6.23-rc7 +
    http://tglx.de/projects/hrtimers/2.6...rc7-hrt1.patch

    works for you ?

    > hm, dunno. The only substantial patch which touches
    > arch/x86_64/kernel/process.c (which is where cpu_idle lives) is
    > x86_64-prep-idle-loop-for-dynticks.patch.
    >
    > The problem is, 2.6.23-rc6-mm1's git-acpi patch had all the new cpuidle
    > code in it. Len dropped all that code over the weekend (which is when I
    > picked this copy of his tree), so 2.6.23-rc7-mm1 doesn't have the cpuidle
    > code. Len will be reapplying the cpuidle patches today(ish) so next -mm
    > _will_ have the cpuidle code.
    >
    > So what we have in rc7-mm1 is this transient no-cpuidle state. It could be
    > that the x86_64 dynticks code (which was developed previously tested in
    > conjunction with the cpuidle patches) has some dependency on cpuidle.

    It should not. cpuidle makes use of dynticks not the other way round.

    tglx

    -

  2. Re: 2.6.23-rc7-mm1

    On 9/24/07, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
    > Can your check whether 2.6.23-rc7 +
    > http://tglx.de/projects/hrtimers/2.6...rc7-hrt1.patch
    >
    > works for you ?

    Yes, powers off normally.

    Torsten
    -

  3. Re: 2.6.23-rc7-mm1

    On Tue, 2007-09-25 at 09:32 +0200, Torsten Kaiser wrote:
    > On 9/24/07, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
    > > Can your check whether 2.6.23-rc7 +
    > > http://tglx.de/projects/hrtimers/2.6...rc7-hrt1.patch
    > >
    > > works for you ?

    > Yes, powers off normally.

    Ok, so it's probably some merge artifact in -mm. We'll get this sorted
    out once Len has his new tree available.

    tglx

    -