Kerberos for Windows NT 4.0 - Kerberos

This is a discussion on Kerberos for Windows NT 4.0 - Kerberos ; Hello, I was wondering we have a NT 4.0 domain which we cannot migrate to Windows 2003. Is there a way to have the NT 4.0 domain work with Kerberos so we can get single sign-on w/out the pain of ...

  1. Kerberos for Windows NT 4.0

    Hello, I was wondering we have a NT 4.0 domain which we cannot migrate to
    Windows 2003. Is there a way to have the NT 4.0 domain work with Kerberos
    so we can get single sign-on w/out the pain of upgrading to active
    directory?

    Thank you,

    Warren Coykendall

    P: 510-236-7730 x6652

    www.palecek.com

  2. Re: Kerberos for Windows NT 4.0

    Warren Coykendall wrote:
    > Hello, I was wondering we have a NT 4.0 domain which we cannot
    > migrate to Windows 2003. Is there a way to have the NT 4.0 domain
    > work with Kerberos so we can get single sign-on w/out the pain of
    > upgrading to active directory?

    I do not think there is any Kerberos in NT 4.0. You might be able to
    make something work with Samba though. Are you actually running NT 4
    machines? On Windows 2000 and above you can setup the clients to talk
    Kerberos directly to an external KDC:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...tep.mspx#EVCAC
    That will get you signle-sign-on, but you'll miss a lot of the other AD
    benefits. I am of the opinion that Windows 2003 Active Directory is
    vastly superior to NT 4 domains. I would strongly suggest using it,
    even if it is a lot of work to migrate / recreate your environment.

    <