problem with kpropd - Kerberos

This is a discussion on problem with kpropd - Kerberos ; Hello, We have been trying to upgrade our kerberos servers from version 1.4.4 to version 1.6 and we are facing a problem with kpropd. We started upgrading one of our slaves to version 1.6 while keeping the master on version ...

  1. problem with kpropd

    Hello,

    We have been trying to upgrade our kerberos servers from version 1.4.4 to
    version 1.6 and we are facing a problem with kpropd. We started upgrading
    one of our slaves to version 1.6 while keeping the master on version
    1.4.4. However propagating the database from the master to the
    upgraded slave is failing with the following error :

    /usr/local/kerberos/sbin/kprop: Software caused connection abort while
    reading response from server

    Any help would be much appreciated.

    Thank you

    Romy

    Romy Arslan Ext: 2267
    Computing & Networking Services
    American University of Beirut

  2. RE: problem with kpropd

    weird.

    I upgraded from 1.4 to 1.6 a few months ago and did successful kprop
    fron the 1.4 kdc to the 1.6 slaves.

    Is kprop set up in (x)inetd? and /etc/services?
    Here is the line from my inetd.conf:
    krb5_prop stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/krb5/sbin/kpropd kpropd

    Try this shell script: (be sure to tweak it for your environment.

    #=-----------------------
    #!/bin/sh

    VERSION="1.0"
    KDCS="slave1.example.com slave2.example.com"
    KRB5=/usr/local/krb5
    DUMPFILE="${KRB5}/var/krb5kdc/slave_datatrans"

    echo "`date` KPROP.SH ${VERSION}"

    echo "Dumping to $DUMPFILE..."
    ${KRB5}/sbin/kdb5_util dump $DUMPFILE

    for kdc in $KDCS
    do
    echo "Transferring to $kdc..."
    ${KRB5}/sbin/kprop -f ${KRB5}/var/krb5kdc/slave_datatrans $kdc
    done

    echo "`date` Transfer complete.\n"
    #======================

    Jason Edgecombe
    Solaris & Linux Administrator
    Mosaic Computing Group, College of Engineering
    UNC-Charlotte
    Phone: (704) 687-3514

    We have been trying to upgrade our kerberos servers from version 1.4.4
    version 1.6 and we are facing a problem with kpropd. We started
    upgrading
    one of our slaves to version 1.6 while keeping the master on version
    1.4.4. However propagating the database from the master to the
    upgraded slave is failing with the following error :

    /usr/local/kerberos/sbin/kprop: Software caused connection abort while
    reading response from server

    Any help would be much appreciated.

    Thank you

    Romy

    Romy Arslan Ext: 2267
    Computing & Networking Services
    American University of Beirut

  3. RE: problem with kpropd

    Hello Jason,

    We are using pretty much the same script to propagate the database to the
    slave servers, and yes kpropd is setup in xinetd and /etc/services.
    Actually that same setup works properly with kpropd version 1.4.4 but not
    with 1.6.