kstart 3.8 released - Kerberos

This is a discussion on kstart 3.8 released - Kerberos ; I'm pleased to announce release 3.8 of kstart. k4start, k5start, and krenew are modified versions of kinit which add support for running as a daemon to maintain a ticket cache, running a command with credentials from a keytab and maintaining ...

  1. kstart 3.8 released

    I'm pleased to announce release 3.8 of kstart.

    k4start, k5start, and krenew are modified versions of kinit which add
    support for running as a daemon to maintain a ticket cache, running a
    command with credentials from a keytab and maintaining a ticket cache
    until that command completes, obtaining AFS tokens (via an external aklog)
    after obtaining tickets, and creating an AFS PAG for a command. They are
    primarily useful in conjunction with long-running jobs; for moving ticket
    handling code out of servers, cron jobs, or daemons; and to obtain tickets
    and AFS tokens with a single command.

    Changes from previous release:

    Allow -H to be used with a command in k4start and k5start. In this
    case, check the existing ticket cache and authenticate if it's stale,
    then run the command in either case. This is useful when running
    several commands with the same credentials at near the same time. It
    reduces Kerberos traffic and avoids service ticket requests being
    rejected as possible relay attacks.

    Support the new MIT Kerberos error message functions.

    Overhaul the build system. Use Automake, use a better strategy for
    dealing with portability issues, and factor duplicate code out into
    shared files.

    You can download it from:

    Debian packages will be uploaded to Debian unstable after the etch
    release. In the meantime, you can get current packages from my personal
    repository. See for
    more information.

    Please let me know of any problems or feature requests.

    --
    Russ Allbery (rra@stanford.edu)

  2. kstart 3.9 released

    Russ Allbery writes:

    > I'm pleased to announce release 3.8 of kstart.

    > Changes from previous release:

    > Allow -H to be used with a command in k4start and k5start. In this
    > case, check the existing ticket cache and authenticate if it's
    > stale, then run the command in either case. This is useful when
    > running several commands with the same credentials at near the same
    > time. It reduces Kerberos traffic and avoids service ticket
    > requests being rejected as possible relay attacks.

    This new feature didn't work quite right when running an aklog program.
    aklog wasn't run unless new tickets were obtained, even though a new PAG
    was created, so the command didn't have valid tokens. I've fixed that bug
    and released kstart 3.9.

    All other details remain the same.

    --
    Russ Allbery (rra@stanford.edu)