    From: Ken Raeburn [mailto:raeburn@mit.edu]
    Sent: Thursday, March 1, 2007 09:59 AM
    To: 'Turbo Fredriksson'
    Cc: kerberos@mit.edu
    Subject: Re: What version next?

    On Mar 1, 2007, at 12:10, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
    > Quoting Andreas Hasenack :
    >
    >> On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 12:01:33PM +0100, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
    >>> I'm currently running (happily!) 1.4.4 but I was wondering
    >>> if 1.6 is something for me (i.e. my live servers)?
    >>>
    >>> What's so new and cool, I just HAVE to upgrade? I have a
    >>> little spare time right now so...

    >> It's worth it if you want to learn about the new ldap backend. It
    >> opens
    >> up many possibilities.

    > Actually I would, but I bought the reasoning a(bout) a year
    > ago that this was a 'bad thing'...

    Okay, well, no one's forcing you to use that back end. :-)

    > So nothing else new?

    Some plugin interfaces in the krb5 library, including
    preauthentication and KDC location determination; more will likely be
    added in the future. Client-side support for server name referrals,
    if you're using a Microsoft KDC. SPNEGO support in GSSAPI. A KDB
    database abstraction layer, which is how the LDAP support was added.
    (Want to write support for another database back end?) Security
    patches and many other bug fixes...

    Ken

  2. Re: What version next?

    On Mar 1, 2007, at 18:02, James Turner wrote:
    > Hi Ken,
    >
    > I haven't read anything on the site about 1.6, but I was curious
    > about PKINIT support. Is this in 1.6 and if not, where does
    > capability reside on the roadmap?

    It's not in 1.6, but is very high on our list of things to get done.
    Other stuff is still being worked out in terms of effort needed,
    prioritization, etc.

    Ken