Compiling krb5-1.6 for Windows - Kerberos

This is a discussion on Compiling krb5-1.6 for Windows - Kerberos ; Hi, following the instructions in the README I tried to create the Kerberos sources for compilation on a Windows platform. That is I did path_to_krb5/krb5-1.6/src> ./configure && make -f Makefile.in kerbsrc.zip make does some awk stuff but then exits with ...

  1. Compiling krb5-1.6 for Windows

    Hi,

    following the instructions in the README I tried to create the Kerberos
    sources for compilation on a Windows platform. That is I did

    path_to_krb5/krb5-1.6/src> ./configure && make -f Makefile.in
    kerbsrc.zip

    make does some awk stuff but then exits with this error message:

    make: *** No rule to make target `include/krb5\krb5.hin', needed by
    `include/krb5\krb5.h'. Stop.

    I also tried to do this:

    path_to_krb5/krb5-1.6/src> ./configure && cd windows && make -f
    Makefile.in kerbsrc.zip

    But than make complains about a malformed makefile:

    Makefile.in:18: *** missing separator. Stop.

    Compiling on Windows itself (the README calls this "All-Windows Build
    Method") doesn't work either since I'm not able to find the "awk"
    command for windows wich - in contrast to the README telling only gawk
    is needed - seems to be essential for the building procedure.

    I would appreciate any comments...

    Best regards, Daniel.

    E-Mail Disclaimer

    Aus Rechts- und Sicherheitsgruenden ist die in dieser E-Mail gegebene
    Information nicht rechtsverbindlich. Eine rechtsverbindliche Bestaetigung
    reichen wir Ihnen gerne auf Anforderung in schriftlicher Form nach.
    Beachten Sie bitte, dass jede Form der unautorisierten Nutzung,
    Veroeffentlichung, Vervielfaeltigung oder Weitergabe des Inhalts dieser
    E-Mail nicht gestattet ist. Diese Nachricht ist ausschliesslich fuer
    den bezeichneten Adressaten oder dessen Vertreter bestimmt. Sollten Sie
    nicht der vorgesehene Adressat dieser E-Mail oder dessen Vertreter sein,
    so bitten wir Sie, sich mit dem Absender der E-Mail in Verbindung zu setzen.

    For legal and security reasons the information provided in this e-mail is not
    legally binding. Upon request we would be pleased to provide you with a legally
    binding confirmation in written form. Any form of unauthorised use, publication,
    reproduction, copying or disclosure of the content of this e-mail is not permitted.
    This message is exclusively for the person addressed or their representative.
    If you are not the intended recipient of this message and its contents, please
    notify the sender immediately.

  2. Re: Compiling krb5-1.6 for Windows

    Peger, Daniel Heinrich wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > following the instructions in the README I tried to create the Kerberos
    > sources for compilation on a Windows platform. That is I did
    >
    > path_to_krb5/krb5-1.6/src> ./configure && make -f Makefile.in
    > kerbsrc.zip
    >
    > make does some awk stuff but then exits with this error message:
    >
    > make: *** No rule to make target `include/krb5\krb5.hin', needed by
    > `include/krb5\krb5.h'. Stop.
    >
    > I also tried to do this:
    >
    > path_to_krb5/krb5-1.6/src> ./configure && cd windows && make -f
    > Makefile.in kerbsrc.zip
    >
    > But than make complains about a malformed makefile:
    >
    > Makefile.in:18: *** missing separator. Stop.
    >
    > Compiling on Windows itself (the README calls this "All-Windows Build
    > Method") doesn't work either since I'm not able to find the "awk"
    > command for windows wich - in contrast to the README telling only gawk
    > is needed - seems to be essential for the building procedure.
    >
    > I would appreciate any comments...

    I just responded to someone else about the same subject. Here is my
    response to that note:

    Yes the build environment for KfW is pretty badly broken at least the
    3.0 environment which is what I ended up building (using VS 2005). Many
    of the build files needed fixing, files were missing from the lists and
    I needed to pull the krb-1.x code into a Unix environment, fix the
    errors, create the zip file, move to windows, try and build, fix some
    more, etc.. It was painful but I needed the source code in debug in
    order to do what I needed. I'll probably need to do it again for KfW
    3.1. There were also some obvious errors in the code as well that I
    needed to fix.

    I'd put in the fixes into the code base but I'd need to set up
    subversion first and with all the different code management systems I
    don't want to spend the time right now.

    I wrote extensive notes on this just to get things to build.

    Danny
    > Best regards, Daniel.
    >
    > E-Mail Disclaimer

    This is nonsense. This is a public mailing list and all your emails are
    automatically archived.

  3. Re: Compiling krb5-1.6 for Windows

    Danny Mayer wrote:
    > I just responded to someone else about the same subject. Here is my
    > response to that note:
    >
    > Yes the build environment for KfW is pretty badly broken at least the
    > 3.0 environment which is what I ended up building (using VS 2005). Many
    > of the build files needed fixing, files were missing from the lists and
    > I needed to pull the krb-1.x code into a Unix environment, fix the
    > errors, create the zip file, move to windows, try and build, fix some
    > more, etc.. It was painful but I needed the source code in debug in
    > order to do what I needed. I'll probably need to do it again for KfW
    > 3.1. There were also some obvious errors in the code as well that I
    > needed to fix.
    >
    > I'd put in the fixes into the code base but I'd need to set up
    > subversion first and with all the different code management systems I
    > don't want to spend the time right now.
    >
    > I wrote extensive notes on this just to get things to build.
    >
    > Danny
    >> Best regards, Daniel.

    KFW 3.1 should have fixed the problems you reported with KFW 3.0.

    KFW 3.1 uses the KRB5 1.4.x branch. It does not use the KRB5 1.6
    branch. I have not attempted to build the KRB5 1.6 outside of KFW.
    However, it does build as part of KFW.

    If you have bugs building KFW releases from the provided source tree,
    you should file bug reports at kfw-bugs@mit.edu.

    Jeffrey Altman

  4. RE: Compiling krb5-1.6 for Windows

    Hi,

    > Yes the build environment for KfW is pretty badly broken at least the
    > 3.0 environment which is what I ended up building (using VS 2005).

    Acutally i'm not trying too compile KfW but Kerberos itself. Is this
    possible at all on a Windows platform?

    > I wrote extensive notes on this just to get things to build.

    Do you mean the instructions in the README? If yes, at least I can't
    figure out how to build this solely based on the README... Perhaps you
    could zip the fixed sources and mail them to my address?

    Regards

    > > Danny
    > > Best regards, Daniel.
    > >
    > > E-Mail Disclaimer

    > This is nonsense. This is a public mailing list and all your emails

    are
    > automatically archived.

    I know... but Exchange automatically adds this nonsense to every eMail
    we send to non-company eMail addresses. So just skip the below...

[...]

  5. Re: Compiling krb5-1.6 for Windows

    Peger, Daniel Heinrich wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    >> Yes the build environment for KfW is pretty badly broken at least the
    >> 3.0 environment which is what I ended up building (using VS 2005).

    > Acutally i'm not trying too compile KfW but Kerberos itself. Is this
    > possible at all on a Windows platform?

    It was possible with the 1.5 release. I have not attempted to build the
    1.6 krb5 source tree outside of KFW.

    Building the krb5 tree outside of KFW results in some significant
    restrictions.

    * no ability to use DNS lookups

    * no ability to use CCAPI credential caches

    * a Kerberos 4 library with different functionality and ABI than
    used by applications that are written to use KFW

    * no automatic ticket acquisition from GSS-API applications when
    the user has not already obtained a TGT

    What KFW provides is the missing functionality necessary to integrate
    the POSIX krb5 distribution on Microsoft Windows. If you want a
    krb5_32.dll that works on Windows and you want to build it from source,
    build KFW. The current version is KFW 3.1 and contains a post-1.4.3
    krb5 source tree.

    KFW 3.2 will soon be entering beta. KFW 3.2 will be based upon a
    post-1.6 distribution of krb5.

    Jeffrey Altman

  6. Re: Compiling krb5-1.6 for Windows

    Peger, Daniel Heinrich wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    >> Yes the build environment for KfW is pretty badly broken at least the
    >> 3.0 environment which is what I ended up building (using VS 2005).

    > Acutally i'm not trying too compile KfW but Kerberos itself. Is this
    > possible at all on a Windows platform?

    That's the same thing. KfW *is* Kerberos on Windows. I actually pulled
    in the krb5-1.4.3 tree into it when I was doing it.

    >> I wrote extensive notes on this just to get things to build.

    > Do you mean the instructions in the README? If yes, at least I can't
    > figure out how to build this solely based on the README...

    No, I wrote my own notes during the process. I didn't publish them. The
    README only takes you so far. There were a whole bunch of changes I had
    to make to various makefiles in order to get it to include all of the
    files required to put into the zip file as well as a bunch of other changes.

    > Perhaps you
    > could zip the fixed sources and mail them to my address?

    No, I can't do that at the moment. It would be for krb5-1.4.3 and KfW
    3.0 in any case. I haven't had a moment to look at newer versions.

    Danny

  7. Re: Compiling krb5-1.6 for Windows

    Peger,> Hi,
    >> Yes the build environment for KfW is pretty badly broken at
    >> least the 3.0 environment which is what I ended up building
    >> (using VS 2005).

    Peger,> Acutally i'm not trying too compile KfW but Kerberos
    Peger,> itself. Is this possible at all on a Windows platform?

    It's supposed to be.
    We may have broken things and I suspect have.
    src/windows/README lists instructions.

    Feel free to let us know about what is broken.

    Note that building KFW is different (and gives you different
    functionality) than building raw Kerberos.

    Also, note that cygwin builds are possible with hacking (although we
    do not support them) and that gives you a third set of functionality.

    We're seriously considering dropping the non-KFW Windows build because
    it is not tested often and because it is confusing.

  8. RE: Compiling krb5-1.6 for Windows

    Hi,

    > We may have broken things and I suspect have.
    > src/windows/README lists instructions.

    > Feel free to let us know about what is broken.

    Actually the output in my first mail is what I ran into when trying to
    follow the instructions in src/windows/README

    > Note that building KFW is different (and gives you different
    > functionality) than building raw Kerberos.

    Correct me if I'm wrong but what is currently shipped under the name
    "Kerberos for Windwows" looks to me like a collection of tools to manage
    your own client credentials/tickets and not like a kerberos server than
    runs on windows and can be used to authenticate against. Is there no way
    to make the kerberos server itself run under windows?