Wiki? - Kerberos

This is a discussion on Wiki? - Kerberos ; Is there a Wiki for Kerberos info? It seems to me that it would be awful useful for keeping tabs on quite a bit of information that is buried in these mailing list archives. ________________________________________________ Kerberos mailing list Kerberos@mit.edu https://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/kerberos...

  1. Wiki?

    Is there a Wiki for Kerberos info? It seems to me that it
    would be awful useful for keeping tabs on quite a bit of
    information that is buried in these mailing list archives.

  2. Re: Wiki?

    To this date I haven't found any Wiki dedicate to Kerberos. A while
    back I was writing some code for SPNEGO and wanted to share it, but
    couldn't find any wiki.....

    saqib
    http://www.full-disk-encryption.net

  3. Re: Wiki?

    On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 12:12:06 -0500
    Jeff Blaine wrote:

    > Is there a Wiki for Kerberos info? It seems to me that it
    > would be awful useful for keeping tabs on quite a bit of
    > information that is buried in these mailing list archives.

    Protocol oriented stuff would be ok in the wireshark.org
    wiki. Historical/theoretical stuff would be ok at wikipedia. Heimdal was
    talking about setting one up but I think it will be for Heimdal oriented
    stuff.

    Mike

    --
    Michael B Allen
    PHP Active Directory SSO

  4. Re: Wiki?

    My strong inclination would be to see it all in one spot.
    IMO, the History and Protocol are pretty well documented
    already.

    * History
    * Protocol
    * Implementations
    *** MIT
    ***** Notes!
    *** Heimdal
    ****** Notes!
    *** Microsoft
    ****** Notes!
    * 3rd Party Information
    *** GSSAPI Notes
    *** Kerberos-related PAM modules
    ****** Russ Alberry's
    ****** Red Hat's Sourceforge version (1.x)
    ****** The "other" Red Hat version (2.x)
    *** ETC ETC
    * Some other topic

    Michael B Allen wrote:
    > On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 12:12:06 -0500
    > Jeff Blaine wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a Wiki for Kerberos info? It seems to me that it
    >> would be awful useful for keeping tabs on quite a bit of
    >> information that is buried in these mailing list archives.

    > Protocol oriented stuff would be ok in the wireshark.org
    > wiki. Historical/theoretical stuff would be ok at wikipedia. Heimdal was
    > talking about setting one up but I think it will be for Heimdal oriented
    > stuff.
    >
    > Mike

  5. Re: Wiki?

    I think screeds of information could be added on Troubleshooting, as
    well as Installation notes and use with various other products (SSH,
    PAM, and Windows probably being the main three).

    I could probably get permission from my boss to copy/paste most of the
    notes in our wiki about Kerberos.

    Jeff Blaine wrote:
    > My strong inclination would be to see it all in one spot.
    > IMO, the History and Protocol are pretty well documented
    > already.
    >
    > * History
    > * Protocol
    > * Implementations
    > *** MIT
    > ***** Notes!
    > *** Heimdal
    > ****** Notes!
    > *** Microsoft
    > ****** Notes!
    > * 3rd Party Information
    > *** GSSAPI Notes
    > *** Kerberos-related PAM modules
    > ****** Russ Alberry's
    > ****** Red Hat's Sourceforge version (1.x)
    > ****** The "other" Red Hat version (2.x)
    > *** ETC ETC
    > * Some other topic
    >
    > Michael B Allen wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 12:12:06 -0500
    >> Jeff Blaine wrote:
    >>

    >>> Is there a Wiki for Kerberos info? It seems to me that it
    >>> would be awful useful for keeping tabs on quite a bit of
    >>> information that is buried in these mailing list archives.
    >>>

    >> Protocol oriented stuff would be ok in the wireshark.org
    >> wiki. Historical/theoretical stuff would be ok at wikipedia. Heimdal was
    >> talking about setting one up but I think it will be for Heimdal oriented
    >> stuff.
    >>
    >> Mike

  6. Re: Wiki?

    On Wednesday 17 January 2007 18:12, Jeff Blaine wrote:
    > Is there a Wiki for Kerberos info?

    A Kerberos-related Wiki is

    Achim

    --
    using mod_auth_kerb and Windows 2000/2003 as KDC:

  7. Re: Wiki?

    On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 13:27:33 -0500
    Jeff Blaine wrote:

    > My strong inclination would be to see it all in one spot.
    > IMO, the History and Protocol are pretty well documented
    > already.
    >
    > * History
    > * Protocol
    > * Implementations
    > *** MIT
    > ***** Notes!
    > *** Heimdal
    > ****** Notes!
    > *** Microsoft
    > ****** Notes!
    > * 3rd Party Information
    > *** GSSAPI Notes
    > *** Kerberos-related PAM modules
    > ****** Russ Alberry's
    > ****** Red Hat's Sourceforge version (1.x)
    > ****** The "other" Red Hat version (2.x)
    > *** ETC ETC
    > * Some other topic

    Well you could try to create a page in Wikipedia. Just make sure you
    call it something like off-the-beaten-path like Kerberos_Notes or
    Kerberos_Supplemental so that it's not confused with real "pedia" type
    articles. And make sure you have a local copy in case one of the more
    religious moderators kills it.

    However, finding a host is a minor detail. Writing good content is the
    hard part. If you do a shallow review or you're just trying to "organize"
    existing documentation and think that the experts will pop in and correct
    it and fill in the details, don't waste your time. Ain't gonna happen.

    Personally, if I were doing this, I would start by watching the lists
    and take notes locally with good detailed explainations of common
    issues. After I had 5 or 10 good detailed focused topics I would put up
    a very simple HTML page and use it to find a host.

    For example, someone had a problem that resulted in a long thread on
    the mod_auth_kerb list. They had used the /crypto DES-CBC-MD5 option
    to MS' ktpass.exe but WITHOUT /DesOnly. So the keytab had a DES key but
    the account didn't have the "Use DES encryption types for this account"
    flag on. The result was the "Failed to find ... in keytab" error because
    the enctypes didn't match. That is the level of detail you need to make
    your wiki worthwhile.

    Mike

    --
    Michael B Allen
    PHP Active Directory SSO

  8. Re: Wiki?

    Well, let me be clear here. This would not be "my" wiki.
    I (solely me) have a minute reward for any effort I put
    into it.

    It just seemed to me that there's a LOT of information
    that is incredibly scattered. If nobody else is likely
    to contribute, then the hell with it. I'm not going to
    spend the hours to share my notes if nobody else will
    offer some of their time.

    So, I appreciate you giving me a heads up warning that
    "it aint gonna happen." Sad, but okay.

    For instance, the seemingly simple task of...

    - implementing an MIT KDC under Solaris 9
    - finding and establishing a working Kerberos PAM module
    for Solaris 9 that can auth to modern MIT KDC

    resulted in:

    Notes: 4 pages of very valuable personal notes documenting every
    dead end and solution I hit

    Bug: http://mailman.mit.edu/pipermail/ker...ry/010999.html
    Submitted and fixed by developer

    Doc: http://mailman.mit.edu/pipermail/ker...ry/011000.html
    Submitted as bug and fixed by developer. Excellent explanation
    provided in thread.

    Doc: 2 Other "bugs" reported that were not posted to list.

    Bug: http://mailman.mit.edu/pipermail/ker...ry/011005.html
    Submitted and fixed by developer

    Doc: http://mailman.mit.edu/pipermail/ker...ry/011012.html
    Great explanation of 'host' principal history and reasoning

    Sun Bug: http://mailman.mit.edu/pipermail/ker...ry/011023.html

    Michael B Allen wrote:
    > On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 13:27:33 -0500
    > Jeff Blaine wrote:
    >
    >> My strong inclination would be to see it all in one spot.
    >> IMO, the History and Protocol are pretty well documented
    >> already.
    >>
    >> * History
    >> * Protocol
    >> * Implementations
    >> *** MIT
    >> ***** Notes!
    >> *** Heimdal
    >> ****** Notes!
    >> *** Microsoft
    >> ****** Notes!
    >> * 3rd Party Information
    >> *** GSSAPI Notes
    >> *** Kerberos-related PAM modules
    >> ****** Russ Alberry's
    >> ****** Red Hat's Sourceforge version (1.x)
    >> ****** The "other" Red Hat version (2.x)
    >> *** ETC ETC
    >> * Some other topic

    > Well you could try to create a page in Wikipedia. Just make sure you
    > call it something like off-the-beaten-path like Kerberos_Notes or
    > Kerberos_Supplemental so that it's not confused with real "pedia" type
    > articles. And make sure you have a local copy in case one of the more
    > religious moderators kills it.
    >
    > However, finding a host is a minor detail. Writing good content is the
    > hard part. If you do a shallow review or you're just trying to "organize"
    > existing documentation and think that the experts will pop in and correct
    > it and fill in the details, don't waste your time. Ain't gonna happen.
    >
    > Personally, if I were doing this, I would start by watching the lists
    > and take notes locally with good detailed explainations of common
    > issues. After I had 5 or 10 good detailed focused topics I would put up
    > a very simple HTML page and use it to find a host.
    >
    > For example, someone had a problem that resulted in a long thread on
    > the mod_auth_kerb list. They had used the /crypto DES-CBC-MD5 option
    > to MS' ktpass.exe but WITHOUT /DesOnly. So the keytab had a DES key but
    > the account didn't have the "Use DES encryption types for this account"
    > flag on. The result was the "Failed to find ... in keytab" error because
    > the enctypes didn't match. That is the level of detail you need to make
    > your wiki worthwhile.
    >
    > Mike
    >
    >> Michael B Allen wrote:

    >>> Protocol oriented stuff would be ok in the wireshark.org
    >>> wiki. Historical/theoretical stuff would be ok at wikipedia. Heimdal was
    >>> talking about setting one up but I think it will be for Heimdal oriented
    >>> stuff.
    >>>
    >>> Mike

  9. Re: Wiki?

    Jeff Blaine wrote:
    > It just seemed to me that there's a LOT of information
    > that is incredibly scattered. If nobody else is likely
    > to contribute, then the hell with it. I'm not going to
    > spend the hours to share my notes if nobody else will
    > offer some of their time.

    IMHO, people who run services such as Kerberos need to be involved on
    the mailing lists, file bug reports, etc. Trying to setup anything from
    a "guide" or "how-to" will result in problems in the long run when you
    encounter something unexpected.

    Also, aren't these type of questions what a FAQ is for? Isn't there a
    Kerberos FAQ? (I thought Ken Hornstein was maintaining it.) Perhaps
    said FAQ could be moved to the wiki:
    http://www.cmf.nrl.navy.mil/CCS/peop...beros-faq.html

    That being said, I'd be willing to contribute to a wiki, provided its
    NOT running mediawiki.

    < --
    Christopher D. Clausen

  10. Re: Wiki?

    >Also, aren't these type of questions what a FAQ is for? Isn't there a
    >Kerberos FAQ? (I thought Ken Hornstein was maintaining it.) Perhaps
    >said FAQ could be moved to the wiki:
    >http://www.cmf.nrl.navy.mil/CCS/peop...beros-faq.html

    FYI: I know the FAQ has languished. That's because of a lack of time
    and a change in responsibilities for me. So if all that content made
    it to a Wiki and other people could update that, I'd be all for that.

    --Ken

  11. Re: Wiki?

    kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil (Ken Hornstein) writes:

    > >Also, aren't these type of questions what a FAQ is for? Isn't there a
    > >Kerberos FAQ? (I thought Ken Hornstein was maintaining it.) Perhaps
    > >said FAQ could be moved to the wiki:

    > >http://www.cmf.nrl.navy.mil/CCS/peop...beros-faq.html

    > FYI: I know the FAQ has languished. That's because of a lack of time
    > and a change in responsibilities for me. So if all that content made
    > it to a Wiki and other people could update that, I'd be all for that.

    isc has been holding the kerberos.org domain name for some time now, mostly
    to prevent it from being squatted upon and used for ad revenue. we would be
    happy to put a wiki on it if that's the will of the community. but no ads,
    plz, other than pointers to products if that's a legit part of an entry. ok?
    --
    Paul Vixie

  12. Re: Wiki?

    On 18 Jan 2007 05:55:46 +0000
    Paul Vixie wrote:

    > kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil (Ken Hornstein) writes:
    >
    > > >Also, aren't these type of questions what a FAQ is for? Isn't there a
    > > >Kerberos FAQ? (I thought Ken Hornstein was maintaining it.) Perhaps
    > > >said FAQ could be moved to the wiki:

    > > >http://www.cmf.nrl.navy.mil/CCS/peop...beros-faq.html

    > > FYI: I know the FAQ has languished. That's because of a lack of time
    > > and a change in responsibilities for me. So if all that content made
    > > it to a Wiki and other people could update that, I'd be all for that.

    > isc has been holding the kerberos.org domain name for some time now, mostly
    > to prevent it from being squatted upon and used for ad revenue. we would be
    > happy to put a wiki on it if that's the will of the community. but no ads,
    > plz, other than pointers to products if that's a legit part of an entry. ok?

    If done right I might contribute. I know a lot about HTTP SSO
    scenarios. And the small bit on the keytab file format I wrote might
    fit there.

    Mike

    --
    Michael B Allen
    PHP Active Directory SSO

  13. Re: Wiki?

    Michael B Allen wrote:
    > On 18 Jan 2007 05:55:46 +0000
    > Paul Vixie wrote:

    >>> FYI: I know the FAQ has languished. That's because of a lack of time
    >>> and a change in responsibilities for me. So if all that content made
    >>> it to a Wiki and other people could update that, I'd be all for that.

    >> isc has been holding the kerberos.org domain name for some time now, mostly
    >> to prevent it from being squatted upon and used for ad revenue. we would be
    >> happy to put a wiki on it if that's the will of the community. but no ads,
    >> plz, other than pointers to products if that's a legit part of an entry. ok?

    > If done right I might contribute. I know a lot about HTTP SSO
    > scenarios. And the small bit on the keytab file format I wrote might
    > fit there.
    >
    > Mike

    I will say that I'm often quite passive on mailing lists (as I'm sure
    none of you know), but having a wiki up would make me a lot more willing
    to throw in my two bits where I can. I'm very interested in this.

    Edit: Congrats to me for not sending this to the list the first time,
    aand sorry Mike for the double.

    --
    Sean Myers

  14. Re: Wiki?