    From: kerberos-bounces@mit.edu [mailto:kerberos-bounces@mit.edu]On
    Behalf Of Henry B. Hotz
    Sent: 05 October 2006 19:57
    To: kerberos@mit.edu
    Subject: Kerberized DBMS's Available

    I'm looking for a DBMS that supports Kerberos for user authentication
    and has a JDBC client. It appears that I may have to write the
    support myself, unless someone can add something I haven't been able
    to find out.

    The "big three" I know about are:

    MySQL -- market leader, but no Kerberos support. Also AFAIK no
    ability to use the identity from an SSH or SSL tunnel. SASL/GSSAPI
    patches probably acceptable if offered.

    PostgreSQL -- supports Kerberos directly with the MIT API. No SASL/
    GSSAPI support so Kerberos support doesn't work with the JDBC client,
    or on Windows (unless you build against KfW presumably). GSSAPI
    patches probably acceptable if done "cleanly".

    Oracle -- supports Kerberos directly using some pre-release MIT code
    independent of available any outside Kerberos libraries. Not sure if
    our site license allows export of the client, or if they have a
    Kerberos aware JDBC client. I expect not for at least one of those.

    This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify NSFAS immediately. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the organisation.

  2. Re: Kerberized DBMS's Available

    On Fri, 6 Oct 2006 14:29:02 +0200
    "Bruce Stewart" wrote:

    > We have developed Kerberos patch for the jTDS JDBC driver (MS SQL Server 2000+) based on the GSS-API (JDK 1.4+). It is not officially part of the jTDS release. If SQL Server/Sybase is an option for you, drop me a mail. I know I'd really appreciate comment/criticism so that I can improve the docs.

    Incedentally MS has a driver that supports IWA (ie Kerberos). It's type
    4 but I cannot help but wonder if it actually works anywere but on Windows.

    Mike

    --
    Michael B Allen
    PHP Active Directory SSO