Kerberized DBMS's Available - Kerberos

This is a discussion on Kerberized DBMS's Available - Kerberos ; I'm looking for a DBMS that supports Kerberos for user authentication and has a JDBC client. It appears that I may have to write the support myself, unless someone can add something I haven't been able to find out. The ...

  1. Kerberized DBMS's Available

    I'm looking for a DBMS that supports Kerberos for user authentication
    and has a JDBC client. It appears that I may have to write the
    support myself, unless someone can add something I haven't been able
    to find out.

    The "big three" I know about are:

    MySQL -- market leader, but no Kerberos support. Also AFAIK no
    ability to use the identity from an SSH or SSL tunnel. SASL/GSSAPI
    patches probably acceptable if offered.

    PostgreSQL -- supports Kerberos directly with the MIT API. No SASL/
    GSSAPI support so Kerberos support doesn't work with the JDBC client,
    or on Windows (unless you build against KfW presumably). GSSAPI
    patches probably acceptable if done "cleanly".

    Oracle -- supports Kerberos directly using some pre-release MIT code
    independent of available any outside Kerberos libraries. Not sure if
    our site license allows export of the client, or if they have a
    Kerberos aware JDBC client. I expect not for at least one of those.

  2. RE: Kerberized DBMS's Available

    Sybase also supports Kerberos, but does not embed Kerberos libraries
    like Oracle decided to, instead it uses a GSS-API interface.

    I also understand that IBMs database product supports Kerberos, but I
    have limited experience of it to comment. I beleive they have
    implemented the interface to the Kerberos libraries using exits, so if
    you don't like how it works you can code new security exits to implement
    your own Kerberos authentication needs.

    Thanks,
    Tim

[...]

    ----

  3. Re: Kerberized DBMS's Available

    "Henry B. Hotz" wrote:

    > I'm looking for a DBMS that supports Kerberos for user authentication
    > and has a JDBC client. It appears that I may have to write the
    > support myself, unless someone can add something I haven't been able
    > to find out.

    > PostgreSQL -- supports Kerberos directly with the MIT API. No SASL/
    > GSSAPI support so Kerberos support doesn't work with the JDBC client,
    > or on Windows (unless you build against KfW presumably).

    Kerberos authentication from a XP client (using cached AD credentials)
    to a Postgresql server running on NetBSD is working fine here. I use
    ODBC and psql only, so I can't comment on JDBC.

+ Reply to Thread