KfW unattended access using keytab - Kerberos

This is a discussion on KfW unattended access using keytab - Kerberos ; I need to get kerberos access from an unattended Windows machine. The machine is used for automatic source code builds. All builds are started from either a DOS command shell and batch files or from a Cygwin shell and perl ...

  1. KfW unattended access using keytab

    I need to get kerberos access from an unattended Windows machine. The
    machine is used for automatic source code builds.

    All builds are started from either a DOS command shell and batch files or
    from a Cygwin shell and perl scripts. In other words, no GUI interaction.

    A few questions related to using kinit with a keytab file....

    - If only command line tools are used (kinit, klist, kdestroy), is there
    any reason to start the Network Identity Manager?

    - I notice even the command line tools will display error messages in a
    windows popup. Is there anyway to prevent this? Since the build machines
    are unattended a Windows popup can cause problems, since the command that
    caused it (eg kinit) won't terminate until the "OK" button on the Windows
    popup is clicked.

  2. Re: KfW unattended access using keytab

    petesea@bigfoot.com wrote:
    > I need to get kerberos access from an unattended Windows machine. The
    > machine is used for automatic source code builds.
    >
    > All builds are started from either a DOS command shell and batch files or
    > from a Cygwin shell and perl scripts. In other words, no GUI interaction.
    >
    > A few questions related to using kinit with a keytab file....
    >
    > - If only command line tools are used (kinit, klist, kdestroy), is there
    > any reason to start the Network Identity Manager?

    No.

    > - I notice even the command line tools will display error messages in a
    > windows popup. Is there anyway to prevent this? Since the build machines
    > are unattended a Windows popup can cause problems, since the command that
    > caused it (eg kinit) won't terminate until the "OK" button on the Windows
    > popup is clicked.

    What dialogs are you referring to? With what commands were the dialogs
    obtained?

  3. Re: KfW unattended access using keytab

    On Thu, 21 Sep 2006, Jeffrey Altman wrote:

    > petesea@bigfoot.com wrote:
    >
    >> - I notice even the command line tools will display error messages
    >> in a windows popup. Is there anyway to prevent this? Since the build
    >> machines are unattended a Windows popup can cause problems, since the
    >> command that caused it (eg kinit) won't terminate until the "OK" button
    >> on the Windows popup is clicked.

    > What dialogs are you referring to? With what commands were the dialogs
    > obtained?

    It appears to be any error message, for example if you type "klist" when
    there's no credential cache or "kinit -k bogus" where "bogus" doesn't
    exist.

    BUT... one very important thing I noticed AFTER sending the first message.
    The error messages only appear in a Windows popup when they're run from a
    Cygwin bash shell... AND... more then that... only (it seems) if the shell
    is started via the rxvt Cygwin command. If the bash shell is started via
    cmd.exe, then the error messages are NOT Windows pop-ups.

    Soo... I suspect rxvt is somehow interpreting the output as something
    other then stdout or stderr. I can prevent the popup by redirecting
    stderr to /dev/null (klist 2> /dev/null), but oddly, redirecting stderr to
    a file does NOT prevent the popup (klist 2> klist.err).

    Does stderr from a Windows-based command somehow look different then
    stderr from a Cygwin-based command?

  4. Re: KfW unattended access using keytab

    petesea@bigfoot.com wrote:
    > Does stderr from a Windows-based command somehow look different then
    > stderr from a Cygwin-based command?

    This is probably a "feature" of the cygwin environment. I don't
    have enough experience with it to comment further. The Kerberos
    libraries do not have any special logic to support such a behavior.

    Jeffrey Altman

+ Reply to Thread