Kerberos for Windows is Spyware according to CounterSpy - Kerberos

This is a discussion on Kerberos for Windows is Spyware according to CounterSpy - Kerberos ; I had a report from a user that his Anti-Spyware software says Kerberos for Windows contains SpyWare. The Anti-SpyWare software is CounterSpy: http://www.sunbelt-software.com/CounterSpy.cfm And the scan reports: Crystalys Media Browser Plug-in more information... Details: Crystalys Media is a browser plug-in ...

  1. Kerberos for Windows is Spyware according to CounterSpy

    I had a report from a user that his Anti-Spyware software says Kerberos
    for Windows contains SpyWare.

    The Anti-SpyWare software is CounterSpy:

    http://www.sunbelt-software.com/CounterSpy.cfm

    And the scan reports:

    Crystalys Media Browser Plug-in more information...
    Details: Crystalys Media is a browser plug-in that shows advertisements
    in the browser window.

    Infected registry entries detected
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MIT

    and then lists (I think) every registry entry under HKCU\Software\MIT.

    Any ideas? Is this a problem with the SpyWare software itself?

    UPDATE: I had the user do multiple scans at various times during the
    installation of KfW. First he removed KfW and checked to make sure the
    HKCU\Software\MIT and HKLM\SOFTWARE\MIT trees were gone. Did a scan - it
    was clean. Then installed KfW, but did not start the NIM, scan - clean.
    As soon as the NIM is started it apparently detected his Windows domain
    and imported those tickets... I believe this triggers the creation of the
    HKCU\Software\MIT registry entries and after that his scan shows spyware.

  2. Re: Kerberos for Windows is Spyware according to CounterSpy

    The spyware is broken. Obviously the HKCU\SOFTWARE\MIT\ key is per-user
    configuration information being created in an application space defined
    by MIT.

    Jeffrey Altman

    petesea@bigfoot.com wrote:
    > I had a report from a user that his Anti-Spyware software says Kerberos
    > for Windows contains SpyWare.
    >
    > The Anti-SpyWare software is CounterSpy:
    >
    > http://www.sunbelt-software.com/CounterSpy.cfm
    >
    > And the scan reports:
    >
    > Crystalys Media Browser Plug-in more information...
    > Details: Crystalys Media is a browser plug-in that shows advertisements
    > in the browser window.
    >
    > Infected registry entries detected
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MIT
    >
    > and then lists (I think) every registry entry under HKCU\Software\MIT.
    >
    > Any ideas? Is this a problem with the SpyWare software itself?
    >

    > UPDATE: I had the user do multiple scans at various times during the
    > installation of KfW. First he removed KfW and checked to make sure the
    > HKCU\Software\MIT and HKLM\SOFTWARE\MIT trees were gone. Did a scan - it
    > was clean. Then installed KfW, but did not start the NIM, scan - clean.
    > As soon as the NIM is started it apparently detected his Windows domain
    > and imported those tickets... I believe this triggers the creation of the
    > HKCU\Software\MIT registry entries and after that his scan shows spyware.

  3. Re: Kerberos for Windows is Spyware according to CounterSpy

    CounterSpy should have fixed this problem in definitions version 397
    that was scheduled for release today.

    Jeffrey Altman