kadmin on windows - Kerberos

This is a discussion on kadmin on windows - Kerberos ; Hi, I am working on a project where I need to be able to synchronize accounts and passwords between Active Directory and MIT Kerberos realm. I would like to use general purpose metadirectory product like Microsoft Identity Integration Server in ...

  1. kadmin on windows

    Hi,
    I am working on a project where I need to be able to synchronize
    accounts and passwords between Active Directory and MIT Kerberos realm.
    I would like to use general purpose metadirectory product like
    Microsoft Identity Integration Server in order to keep two databases in
    sync. The issue for me is in how to access KDC database
    programmatically from Windows platform.
    I would like to ask for suggestions as to the best approach/options:
    1. Compiling kadmin on Windows. Is this possible? Could somebody
    provide some guidance?
    2. Perhaps compiling kadmin under Windows Services for UNIX subsystem.
    Is this possible?
    Any other possible approaches that I may be missing?

    Thanks in advance.
    Alex.

  2. Re: kadmin on windows

    alextc@microsoft.com wrote:
    > 1. Compiling kadmin on Windows. Is this possible? Could somebody
    > provide some guidance?

    If you choose to to port kadmin to Windows as a native application,
    please contribute the revisions to MIT as many other people would
    like to see this work done as well.

    Jeffrey Altman

  3. Re: kadmin on windows

    Jeffrey Altman wrote:
    > alextc@microsoft.com wrote:
    >> 1. Compiling kadmin on Windows. Is this possible? Could somebody
    >> provide some guidance?

    > If you choose to to port kadmin to Windows as a native application,
    > please contribute the revisions to MIT as many other people would
    > like to see this work done as well.
    >
    > Jeffrey Altman

    Do you have any reason to believe that it would be hard to do?

    Danny

  4. Re: kadmin on windows

    Danny Mayer wrote:
    > Jeffrey Altman wrote:
    >> alextc@microsoft.com wrote:
    >>> 1. Compiling kadmin on Windows. Is this possible? Could somebody
    >>> provide some guidance?

    >> If you choose to to port kadmin to Windows as a native application,
    >> please contribute the revisions to MIT as many other people would
    >> like to see this work done as well.
    >>
    >> Jeffrey Altman
    >>

    > Do you have any reason to believe that it would be hard to do?
    >
    > Danny

    I have no reason to believe it would be any harder that porting
    any other UNIX library to Win32.

    Jeffrey Altman

  5. Re: kadmin on windows

    Danny Mayer wrote:
    > Jeffrey Altman wrote:
    >> alextc@microsoft.com wrote:
    >>> 1. Compiling kadmin on Windows. Is this possible? Could somebody
    >>> provide some guidance?

    >> If you choose to to port kadmin to Windows as a native application,
    >> please contribute the revisions to MIT as many other people would
    >> like to see this work done as well.
    >>
    >> Jeffrey Altman
    >>

    > Do you have any reason to believe that it would be hard to do?
    >
    > Danny

    I don't have reason to believe that it would be hard. Just time consuming.

    Jeffrey Altman

  6. Re: kadmin on windows

    Jeffrey Altman wrote:
    > Danny Mayer wrote:
    >> Jeffrey Altman wrote:
    >>> If you choose to to port kadmin to Windows as a native application,
    >>> please contribute the revisions to MIT as many other people would
    >>> like to see this work done as well.
    >>>
    >>> Jeffrey Altman
    >>>

    >> Do you have any reason to believe that it would be hard to do?
    >>
    >> Danny

    > I have no reason to believe it would be any harder that porting
    > any other UNIX library to Win32.
    >
    > Jeffrey Altman

    Then it should be easy. However, I did find that when I had to build KfW
    3.0 from source so I could have debug versions I found the Windows
    sources either had bugs in the code or there were files missing,
    particularly the Makefile.* and the Makefile code that generated the zip
    sources had missing directories. I'd be happy to make the fixes
    available to MIT though with KfW 3.1 in beta it may be better to start
    with that.

    I can build kadmin using VS 6.0 or VS 2005 whichever you prefer though I
    seem to remember VS 6.0 had some problems mainly relating to network
    include files. I decided against bothering with VS 2003. How would I get
    this into the source tree?

    Danny

  7. Re: kadmin on windows

    Jeffrey Altman wrote:
    > Danny Mayer wrote:
    > > Jeffrey Altman wrote:
    > >> If you choose to to port kadmin to Windows as a native application,
    > >> please contribute the revisions to MIT as many other people would
    > >> like to see this work done as well.
    > >>
    > >> Jeffrey Altman
    > >>

    > > Do you have any reason to believe that it would be hard to do?
    > >
    > > Danny

    > I don't have reason to believe that it would be hard. Just time consuming.
    >
    > Jeffrey Altman

    As one possible approach of porting kadmin to Windows I tried to do a
    build of krb5-1.5.1 under UNIX subsystem on Windows R2 server,
    unfortunately I am getting the following error message during the
    configure process:

    $ ./configure && make
    configure: loading cache ./config.cache
    checking for gcc... gcc
    checking for suffix of executables...
    checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
    checking build system type... i586-pc-interix5.2
    checking host system type... i586-pc-interix5.2
    checking for GNU linker... yes
    configure: adding extra warning flags for gcc
    configure: enabling built in krb4 support
    checking which version of com_err to use... krb5
    checking which version of subsystem package to use... krb5
    checking for gethostbyname... yes
    checking for socket... yes
    checking for main in -lresolv... no
    checking for res_ninit... no
    checking for res_nclose... no
    checking for res_ndestroy... no
    checking for res_nsearch... no
    checking for ns_initparse... no
    checking for ns_name_uncompress... no
    checking for dn_skipname... no
    checking for res_search... no
    checking for res_search... no
    configure: error: cannot find res_nsearch or res_search

    I am hoping somebody could suggest some troubleshooting steps to
    resolve this error.
    Thanks in advance.
    Alex

  8. Re: kadmin on windows

    alextc> Hi, I am working on a project where I need to be able to
    alextc> synchronize accounts and passwords between Active Directory
    alextc> and MIT Kerberos realm. I would like to use general purpose
    alextc> metadirectory product like Microsoft Identity Integration
    alextc> Server in order to keep two databases in sync. The issue for
    alextc> me is in how to access KDC database programmatically from
    alextc> Windows platform. I would like to ask for suggestions as to
    alextc> the best approach/options: 1. Compiling kadmin on Windows. Is
    alextc> this possible? Could somebody provide some guidance?
    alextc> 2. Perhaps compiling kadmin under Windows Services for UNIX
    alextc> subsystem. Is this possible? Any other possible approaches
    alextc> that I may be missing?

    So far as I know, Microsoft does not implement the kadmin protocol (in
    fact, there's more than one; it's not a standard). So I don't think
    compiling kadmin anywhere is going to be useful.

    --
    Richard Silverman
    res@qoxp.net

+ Reply to Thread