64bit Kerberos 5 - Kerberos

This is a discussion on 64bit Kerberos 5 - Kerberos ; Greetings, My name is Mitch Thurston. I am the technology coordinator for the arts and sciences libraries at Dartmouth College. Our computing infrastructure is quite interesting here. We operate in both a windows and mac environment, to which kerberos authentication ...

  1. 64bit Kerberos 5

    Greetings,

    My name is Mitch Thurston. I am the technology coordinator for the arts and sciences libraries at Dartmouth College. Our computing infrastructure is quite interesting here. We operate in both a windows and mac environment, to which kerberos authentication is heavily integrated.

    My question is this: Recently I ordered and installed two 64bit windows machines. I am experiencing difficulty finding work-arounds and solutions to the kerberos authentication within this environment. Is there anything available for 64bit windows machines?

    Second question, if there is not, what might the timeline be for providing 64bit support.

    Third question, are there any workarounds, or methods of forcing kerberos 5, to work in a 64bit environment..

    Thanks for your assistance,

    -Mitch

    Mitchell L. Thurston
    Dartmouth College Library
    Arts & Sciences Technical Coordinator
    Ext. 6-9239

    "Lead, but follow. Teach, but learn. Speak, but listen.
    For, without the latter result, the prior may never
    begin." -Mitchell L. Thurston

  2. Re: 64bit Kerberos 5

    Mitchell L. Thurston wrote:
    > Greetings,
    >
    > My name is Mitch Thurston. I am the technology coordinator for the arts and sciences libraries at Dartmouth College. Our computing infrastructure is quite interesting here. We operate in both a windows and mac environment, to which kerberos authentication is heavily integrated.
    >
    > My question is this: Recently I ordered and installed two 64bit windows machines. I am experiencing difficulty finding work-arounds and solutions to the kerberos authentication within this environment. Is there anything available for 64bit windows machines?
    >
    > Second question, if there is not, what might the timeline be for providing 64bit support.
    >
    > Third question, are there any workarounds, or methods of forcing kerberos 5, to work in a 64bit environment..
    >
    > Thanks for your assistance,
    >
    > -Mitch

    Mitch:

    64-bit Windows provides two separate operating environments, 64-bit
    Native and 32-bit WOW64. The WOW64 environment on XP64 and 2003 64-bit
    platforms has broken LSA support for Kerberos. This prevents 32-bit
    applications from accessing the Microsoft Kerberos credentials cache.

    If you are looking for MIT Kerberos for Windows, version 3.1 Beta 1
    supports the WOW64 environment without the MSLSA: ccache support since
    the Windows LSA does not work properly. It can be used with 32-bit
    applications.

    If you are looking for a 64-bit Native version of Kerberos for Windows,
    there is nothing currently available from MIT.

    Jeffrey Altman
    Secure Endpoints Inc.

+ Reply to Thread