Windows FTP - Kerberos

This is a discussion on Windows FTP - Kerberos ; Please don't laugh. Some of my users have a need for a Windows FTP client that works with KfW. Wait, it gets better. The only two I'm familiar with are FileZilla and Kermit 95. The problem is that the specialized ...

  1. Windows FTP

    Please don't laugh.

    Some of my users have a need for a Windows FTP client that works with KfW.
    Wait, it gets better.

    The only two I'm familiar with are FileZilla and Kermit 95. The problem
    is that the specialized server they need to connect to doesn't support the
    ftp PROT command (ie, unencrypted data streams only). So while the unix
    command line 'ftp' works, 'ftp -x' does not. I don't have any control
    over the server in question, so I can't just upgrade that side.

    Enter FileZilla. When contacted about adding an option to remove PROT, I
    was told they are likely to be removing GSS support entirely due to the
    lack of a test environment.

    Enter Kermit 95. They do have an option for PROT 'clear', but issuing
    PROT still causes the server to respond with an error. The biggest
    problem here, of course, is that Kermit costs money so I haven't contacted
    them about the option I need yet.

    Are there any other FTP clients out there that work with KfW? Command
    line is fine. I'm willing to put in some time on this, but to be honest
    I'm not an applications programmer. I'm definately not a Windows
    developer.

    -Mike

  2. Re: Windows FTP

    Mike Dopheide wrote:

    > Please don't laugh.

    NCSA had mods to the MIT ftp to run under Windows a few years ago, that worked
    with We used to use them. Goole for: ncsa ftp kerberos

    http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/UserInfo/Re.../ncsa_faq.html

    > Some of my users have a need for a Windows FTP client that works with KfW.
    > Wait, it gets better.
    >
    > The only two I'm familiar with are FileZilla and Kermit 95. The problem
    > is that the specialized server they need to connect to doesn't support the
    > ftp PROT command (ie, unencrypted data streams only). So while the unix
    > command line 'ftp' works, 'ftp -x' does not. I don't have any control
    > over the server in question, so I can't just upgrade that side.
    >
    > Enter FileZilla. When contacted about adding an option to remove PROT, I
    > was told they are likely to be removing GSS support entirely due to the
    > lack of a test environment.
    >
    > Enter Kermit 95. They do have an option for PROT 'clear', but issuing
    > PROT still causes the server to respond with an error. The biggest
    > problem here, of course, is that Kermit costs money so I haven't contacted
    > them about the option I need yet.
    >
    > Are there any other FTP clients out there that work with KfW? Command
    > line is fine. I'm willing to put in some time on this, but to be honest
    > I'm not an applications programmer. I'm definately not a Windows
    > developer.
    >
    > -Mike

    Douglas E. Engert
    Argonne National Laboratory
    9700 South Cass Avenue
    Argonne, Illinois 60439
    (630) 252-5444

  3. Re: Windows FTP

    Mike Dopheide wrote:
    > Enter FileZilla. When contacted about adding an option to remove

    PROT, I
    > was told they are likely to be removing GSS support entirely due to the
    > lack of a test environment.

    MIT distributes FileZilla. I'm sure if the FileZilla developers
    contacted MIT (or even this list) that someone could be a tester for
    them on a periodic basis.

    > Enter Kermit 95. They do have an option for PROT 'clear', but issuing
    > PROT still causes the server to respond with an error. The biggest
    > problem here, of course, is that Kermit costs money so I haven't contacted
    > them about the option I need yet.

    The biggest problem with Kermit 95 is that Columbia University has not
    updated it in over three years. Your campus used to have a site
    license for K95. You might want to check to see if it is still valid.

    Jeffrey Altman

  4. Re: Windows FTP

    Yes, we do. But they were written in 1998 and I can't get them to
    build in Windows against KfW.

    -Mike

    > NCSA had mods to the MIT ftp to run under Windows a few years ago, that
    > worked
    > with We used to use them. Goole for: ncsa ftp kerberos
    >
    > http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/UserInfo/Re.../ncsa_faq.html
    >

    >> Some of my users have a need for a Windows FTP client that works with KfW.
    >> Wait, it gets better.
    >>
    >> The only two I'm familiar with are FileZilla and Kermit 95. The problem is
    >> that the specialized server they need to connect to doesn't support the ftp
    >> PROT command (ie, unencrypted data streams only). So while the unix
    >> command line 'ftp' works, 'ftp -x' does not. I don't have any control over
    >> the server in question, so I can't just upgrade that side.
    >>
    >> Enter FileZilla. When contacted about adding an option to remove PROT, I
    >> was told they are likely to be removing GSS support entirely due to the
    >> lack of a test environment.
    >>
    >> Enter Kermit 95. They do have an option for PROT 'clear', but issuing PROT
    >> still causes the server to respond with an error. The biggest problem
    >> here, of course, is that Kermit costs money so I haven't contacted them
    >> about the option I need yet.
    >>
    >> Are there any other FTP clients out there that work with KfW? Command line
    >> is fine. I'm willing to put in some time on this, but to be honest I'm not
    >> an applications programmer. I'm definately not a Windows developer.
    >>
    >> -Mike
    >>

    > --
    >
    > Douglas E. Engert
    > Argonne National Laboratory
    > 9700 South Cass Avenue
    > Argonne, Illinois 60439
    > (630) 252-5444

  5. Re: Windows FTP

    We have actually made mods to FileZilla to support the CCC command to
    allow use through a firewall (firewall could not follow state and port
    commands while in 'private' or 'safe' mode. It wouldn't take too much
    effort to have it set the xfer channel to 'C'lear.

    If you still need it, email me directly (may not be considered
    appropriate discuss possible mods to FZ in this list :-) ).

    -paul
    Paul Palacios
    paul@c-group.com