Joining OSX server to windows 2000 AD KDC - Kerberos

This is a discussion on Joining OSX server to windows 2000 AD KDC - Kerberos ; Hi All, I'm trying to join OSX server 10.4.7 to a windows 2000 Active Directory KDC server. After I join the OSX server to the AD server (with Directory Acces), I start Server Admin fallow by Open Directory and then ...

  1. Joining OSX server to windows 2000 AD KDC

    Hi All,

    I'm trying to join OSX server 10.4.7 to a windows 2000 Active Directory
    KDC server. After I join the OSX server to the AD server (with
    Directory Acces), I start Server Admin fallow by Open Directory and
    then Settings. I change the Role of the server from Stanalone Server to
    Connected to a Directory system and finally I click on Join Kerberos. I
    fill the fields and receive the error message below when I click the OK
    button:

    Kerberos keytab error. Error while creating the Kerberos keytab file
    for this server.

    I also found in the /Library/Logs/slapconfig.log file this information:

    2006-07-12 09:00:36 -0400 - slapconfig -sso_util
    2006-07-12 09:00:36 -0400 - command: /usr/sbin/sso_util configure -r
    MY_KERBOROS_REALM -a KDC_ADM_LOGIN -p **** -v 1 all
    2006-07-12 09:00:38 -0400 - sso_util command output:
    Contacting the directory server
    Creating the service list
    Creating the service principals
    kadmin: Database error! Required KADM5 principal missing while
    initializing kadmin interface
[...]
    2006-07-12 09:00:38 -0400 - sso_util command failed with status 2

    Anybody have clues on that?

    Best regards

    Yvan Michaud
    System Administrator
    University of Sherbrooke

  2. Re: Joining OSX server to windows 2000 AD KDC

    This looks as if the principal kadmin/admin@MY_KERBOROS_REALM is missing.

    > kadmin: Database error! Required KADM5 principal missing while
    > initializing kadmin interface
    > kadmin: Database error! Required KADM5 principal missing while
    > initializing kadmin interface
    > kadmin: Database error! Required KADM5 principal missing while
    > initializing kadmin interface
    > kadmin: Database error! Required KADM5 principal missing while
    > initializing kadmin interface
    > kadmin: Database error! Required KADM5 principal missing while
    > initializing kadmin interface
    > kadmin: Database error! Required KADM5 principal missing while
    > initializing kadmin interface
    > kadmin: Database error! Required KADM5 principal missing while
    > initializing kadmin interface
    > kadmin: Database error! Required KADM5 principal missing while
    > initializing kadmin interface
    > kadmin: Database error! Required KADM5 principal missing while
    > initializing kadmin interface
    > kadmin: Database error! Required KADM5 principal missing while
    > initializing kadmin interface
    > kadmin: Database error! Required KADM5 principal missing while
    > initializing kadmin interface
    > 2006-07-12 09:00:38 -0400 - sso_util command failed with status 2
    >
    > Anybody have clues on that?

    Best regards

    Yvan Michaud
    System Administrator
    University of Sherbrooke

    --
    Richard Silverman
    res@qoxp.net

  3. Re: Joining OSX server to windows 2000 AD KDC

    Richard E. Silverman a écrit :

    > > Hi All,
    > > I'm trying to join OSX server 10.4.7 to a windows 2000 Active Directory
    > > KDC server. After I join the OSX server to the AD server (with
    > > Directory Acces), I start Server Admin fallow by Open Directory and
    > > then Settings. I change the Role of the server from Stanalone Server to
    > > Connected to a Directory system and finally I click on Join Kerberos. I
    > > fill the fields and receive the error message below when I click the OK
    > > button:
    > >
    > > Kerberos keytab error. Error while creating the Kerberos keytab file
    > > for this server.
    > >
    > > I also found in the /Library/Logs/slapconfig.log file this information:
    > >
    > > 2006-07-12 09:00:36 -0400 - slapconfig -sso_util
    > > 2006-07-12 09:00:36 -0400 - command: /usr/sbin/sso_util configure -r
    > > MY_KERBOROS_REALM -a KDC_ADM_LOGIN -p **** -v 1 all
    > > 2006-07-12 09:00:38 -0400 - sso_util command output:
    > > Contacting the directory server
    > > Creating the service list
    > > Creating the service principals
    > > kadmin: Database error! Required KADM5 principal missing while
    > > initializing kadmin interface

    > This looks as if the principal kadmin/admin@MY_KERBOROS_REALM is missing.
    >
    > > kadmin: Database error! Required KADM5 principal missing while
    > > initializing kadmin interface
    > > kadmin: Database error! Required KADM5 principal missing while
    > > initializing kadmin interface
    > > kadmin: Database error! Required KADM5 principal missing while
    > > initializing kadmin interface
    > > kadmin: Database error! Required KADM5 principal missing while
    > > initializing kadmin interface
    > > kadmin: Database error! Required KADM5 principal missing while
    > > initializing kadmin interface
    > > kadmin: Database error! Required KADM5 principal missing while
    > > initializing kadmin interface
    > > kadmin: Database error! Required KADM5 principal missing while
    > > initializing kadmin interface
    > > kadmin: Database error! Required KADM5 principal missing while
    > > initializing kadmin interface
    > > kadmin: Database error! Required KADM5 principal missing while
    > > initializing kadmin interface
    > > kadmin: Database error! Required KADM5 principal missing while
    > > initializing kadmin interface
    > > kadmin: Database error! Required KADM5 principal missing while
    > > initializing kadmin interface
    > > 2006-07-12 09:00:38 -0400 - sso_util command failed with status 2
    > >
    > > Anybody have clues on that?

    > Best regards
    >
    > Yvan Michaud
    > System Administrator
    > University of Sherbrooke
    >

    > --
    > Richard Silverman
    > res@qoxp.net

    Richard,

    Thank for that fast response. I'm kind of newbie with Kerberos. I check
    on the MIT web site to have a definition of principal but it still not
    clear to me. Here, the output of the kadmin get_principal command:

    OSX_server:~ admin_login$ kadmin get_principal
    Authenticating as principal admin/admin@MY_KERBEROS_REALM with
    password.
    kadmin: Client not found in Kerberos database while initializing kadmin
    interface

    Could you tell me more on the clue you gave to me (This looks as if the
    principal kadmin/admin@MY_KERBOROS_REALM is missing.)?

    Regards

    Yvan Michaud
    System Administrator
    University of Sherbrooke

  4. Re: Joining OSX server to windows 2000 AD KDC

    Trivial wrote:
> [...]

    > > > Anybody have clues on that?

    > > Best regards
    > >
    > > Yvan Michaud
    > > System Administrator
    > > University of Sherbrooke
    > >

    > > --
    > > Richard Silverman
    > > res@qoxp.net

    > Richard,
    >
    > Thank for that fast response. I'm kind of newbie with Kerberos. I check
    > on the MIT web site to have a definition of principal but it still not
    > clear to me. Here, the output of the kadmin get_principal command:
    >
    > OSX_server:~ admin_login$ kadmin get_principal
    > Authenticating as principal admin/admin@MY_KERBEROS_REALM with
    > password.
    > kadmin: Client not found in Kerberos database while initializing kadmin
    > interface
    >
    > Could you tell me more on the clue you gave to me (This looks as if the

    I finally solve my problem. In Directory Acces, make sure you see your
    AD setup in the Authentification tag and then custom path and save that
    config.

    Hope that could help other.

    Yvan Michaud
    System Administrator