Questions on Kerberos - Kerberos

This is a discussion on Questions on Kerberos - Kerberos ; Hi all, I am not sure whether this is right place for these questions. If so, I do apologise. I have been using ethereal to analysis the kerberos packets. 1. I notice that some of the kerberos (windows authentication) packets ...

  1. Questions on Kerberos

    Hi all,

    I am not sure whether this is right place for these questions. If so,
    I do apologise.

    I have been using ethereal to analysis the kerberos packets.

    1. I notice that some of the kerberos (windows authentication) packets
    have principal with dollar sign character at the end. Also the principal
    is not the user name, it is actually the hostname. What does it mean?

    2. I am trying to measure the response time of windows login. For a
    windows login, can I assume the time taken from AS-REQ/REP to the first
    TGS-REQ/REP ?

    Many thanks
    Joe

    the system manager.

    This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept for the presence of viruses using SOPHOS.

    http://www.itheon.com

  2. Re: Questions on Kerberos

    Joseph Kuan wrote:
    > 1. I notice that some of the kerberos (windows authentication) packets
    > have principal with dollar sign character at the end. Also the
    > principal
    > is not the user name, it is actually the hostname. What does it mean?

    Those are the principals for machine or computer accounts.

    > 2. I am trying to measure the response time of windows login. For a
    > windows login, can I assume the time taken from AS-REQ/REP to the
    > first TGS-REQ/REP ?

    seems reasonable to me.

    < --
    Christopher D. Clausen
    ACM@UIUC SysAdmin

  3. Re: Questions on Kerberos

    Hi all,
    Can someone please guide me in understanding the use of the function gss_krb5_ccache_name?

    I have a user name and password for a specific user and want to generate a temporary ticket for the user (whcih i store in the memory) and then swicth the context to that ticket and then acquire the credentials for the user (using gss_acquire_cred call - which i can modify to handle memory based tickets).

    Thanks a lot for all the help in advance.

    Best Regards,
    Sayali

    "Christopher D. Clausen" wrote:
    Joseph Kuan wrote:
    > 1. I notice that some of the kerberos (windows authentication) packets
    > have principal with dollar sign character at the end. Also the
    > principal
    > is not the user name, it is actually the hostname. What does it mean?

    Those are the principals for machine or computer accounts.

    > 2. I am trying to measure the response time of windows login. For a
    > windows login, can I assume the time taken from AS-REQ/REP to the
    > first TGS-REQ/REP ?

    seems reasonable to me.

    <--
    Christopher D. Clausen