krb5kdc: No such device - Cannot bind server socket to port 88 - Kerberos

This is a discussion on krb5kdc: No such device - Cannot bind server socket to port 88 - Kerberos ; My kdc will not start. I get an error message in my kdc log file... krb5kdc[11331](info): listening on fd 7: udp 192.168.0.1.88 krb5kdc[11331](info): listening on fd 8: udp 192.168.0.1.750 krb5kdc: No such device - Cannot bind server socket to port ...

  1. krb5kdc: No such device - Cannot bind server socket to port 88

    My kdc will not start. I get an error message in my kdc log file...

    krb5kdc[11331](info): listening on fd 7: udp 192.168.0.1.88
    krb5kdc[11331](info): listening on fd 8: udp 192.168.0.1.750
    krb5kdc: No such device - Cannot bind server socket to port 88 address
    fe88::20f:1fff:feb2:b9c7%253

    ifconfig shows that address associated eth1. I statically assigned
    192.168.0.1 to that address. (no network). If I bring eth1 down I get
    a message set up 0 sockets.

    I can check the ports opened by nmap'ing myself. The port isn't
    allocated.

    I tried binding to that port with a python script and I have no
    problem opening it.

    Has anybody seen this before? By the way, I did create the principle and
    stash files and they are pointed to correctly in the kdc.conf and
    krb.conf files. admin-server seems to start correctly and opens the
    port.

    I'm running Ubuntu Hoary. Is the KDC trying to bind to the ip6 address?
    I have seen threads of other people with this problem but none of them
    lead to any insight into how one might fix it.

    TIA, Jim Pharis

  2. Re: krb5kdc: No such device - Cannot bind server socket to port 88

    On Jun 22, 2005, at 16:59, Jim Pharis wrote:
    > My kdc will not start. I get an error message in my kdc log file...
    >
    > krb5kdc[11331](info): listening on fd 7: udp 192.168.0.1.88
    > krb5kdc[11331](info): listening on fd 8: udp 192.168.0.1.750
    > krb5kdc: No such device - Cannot bind server socket to port 88 address
    > fe88::20f:1fff:feb2:b9c7%253

    I've seen the reports, but don't know the cause yet...

    Could you try dropping in some code like this just before the call to
    bind in kdc/network.c and see if it changes anything?

    if (addr->sa_family == AF_INET6) {
    struct sockaddr_in6 *sin6 = (struct sockaddr_in6 *) addr;
    com_err(data->prog, 0, "zapping scope %d to 0",
    sin6->sin6_scope_id);
    sin6->sin6_scope_id = 0;
    }

    It does seem interesting that all the reports I've seen involve unusual
    addresses. Yours and one other concerned link-local addresses
    (fe80::/10), and one more listed an fd80:: address (an unassigned
    block, I think) in the report. Since we're supposed to be filtering
    out link-local addresses, this address shouldn't have been used in this
    part of the code.

    Please let me know what "grep ifaddrs config.cache" in the "src"
    directory of your build tree shows. We've got (at least) two different
    code paths that could be used for getting the address list, and one of
    them clearly isn't doing the filtering that it ought to.

    > I'm running Ubuntu Hoary. Is the KDC trying to bind to the ip6 address?

    Yes, we try to bind to all local ipv4 and ipv6 addresses separately.
    (There's another approach that could use just one socket for all IPv6
    traffic, and carry the address info separately, but we're not using it
    yet.)

    Ken