mixing sun solaris's rpc with mit's rpc - Kerberos

This is a discussion on mixing sun solaris's rpc with mit's rpc - Kerberos ; has anybody used sun's rpc and mit's rpc in a kerborised application? the mit's rpc (gssrpc) is to be used for encrypted communication and the sun's rpc is used for non-encrypted communication. we have such a program but we want ...

  1. mixing sun solaris's rpc with mit's rpc

    has anybody used sun's rpc and mit's rpc in a kerborised application?
    the mit's rpc (gssrpc) is to be used for encrypted communication and
    the sun's rpc is used for non-encrypted communication. we have such a
    program but we want to upgrade to 5-1.4.1 version of kerberos, but the
    header files are quite different now and we run into compilation issues.
    whereas we did not have a problem with prior kerberos releases. we use
    solaris 2.6 , 2.8 and 2.9. also anybody ever used sun's rpc and kerberos
    to communicate with mit's kerberos server? i appreciate the help very
    much. thank you.

  2. Re: mixing sun solaris's rpc with mit's rpc

    It is almost certain that the same source file will not be able to
    include both MIT's RPC and Sun's RPC.

  3. Re: mixing sun solaris's rpc with mit's rpc

    maybe i was not clear enough. the server is mit rpc/gssrpc and the
    clients are both sun rpc and mit rpc/gssrpc. the main thing is how mit
    gssrpc include files have changed and causing compilation errors.
    Sam Hartman wrote:

    >It is almost certain that the same source file will not be able to
    >include both MIT's RPC and Sun's RPC.

  4. Re: mixing sun solaris's rpc with mit's rpc

    hostent in netdb.h seems to be changed to rpcent in mit 1.4.1
    gssrpc/netdb.h. in our routins we assign sockaddr_in.s_addr to
    hostent.h_addr. rpcent does not have a such entry!

    Kevin Coffman wrote:

    >>has anybody used sun's rpc and mit's rpc in a kerborised application?
    >>the mit's rpc (gssrpc) is to be used for encrypted communication and
    >>the sun's rpc is used for non-encrypted communication. we have such a
    >>program but we want to upgrade to 5-1.4.1 version of kerberos, but the
    >>header files are quite different now and we run into compilation issues.
    >>whereas we did not have a problem with prior kerberos releases. we use
    >>solaris 2.6 , 2.8 and 2.9. also anybody ever used sun's rpc and kerberos
    >>to communicate with mit's kerberos server? i appreciate the help very
    >>much. thank you.
    >>

    >Are you talking about differences between 1.3.x rpc headers and
    >1.4.1 headers?
    >
    >What kind of problems are you having? I'm looking at changes to our
    >version of the rpc library which we need for NFSv4.

  5. Re: mixing sun solaris's rpc with mit's rpc

    plus comparing solaris's netdb.h with the mit's: what should we replace
    gethostbyname, etc?