libdb.a - Kerberos

This is a discussion on libdb.a - Kerberos ; So previous versions of kerberos included a static lib called libdb.a, that one of our developers used. I've noticed that in the 1.4 series this no longer exists... I don't see anything in the README about this, where did it ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: libdb.a

  1. libdb.a

    So previous versions of kerberos included a static lib called libdb.a, that
    one of our developers used.

    I've noticed that in the 1.4 series this no longer exists...

    I don't see anything in the README about this, where did it go? I sthere a
    replacement?


    --
    Phil Dibowitz
    Systems Architect and Administrator
    Enterprise Infrastructure / ISD / USC
    UCC 174 - 213-821-5427


    ________________________________________________
    Kerberos mailing list Kerberos@mit.edu
    https://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/kerberos

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (GNU/Linux)

    iD8DBQFCg6Ht7lkZ1Iyv898RAihhAJ4zkT8D57o8m9VI0IwHIe KWPY9MJQCfS1Pq
    v8WeMyunvc17sMrdU4VkUp8=
    =htoE
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


  2. Re: libdb.a

    On May 12, 2005, at 14:35, Phil Dibowitz wrote:
    > So previous versions of kerberos included a static lib called libdb.a,
    > that
    > one of our developers used.
    >
    > I've noticed that in the 1.4 series this no longer exists...


    It's still in our tree, and linked into the programs that access the
    Kerberos database directly, but we're no longer installing it. We
    don't want to be in the business of supporting a general-purpose
    database package.

    What we're (still) using is an old version of the Berkeley/Sleepycat
    database package, with some bug fixes. (We can't update because of
    licensing issues.) You might want to check the Sleepycat web site,
    and/or look up the BDB sources in your favorite open-source OS
    distribution.

    Or, you could tweak the Kerberos sources to install the db library on
    your system ... but if you run into problems with db unrelated to its
    use in the KDC and related programs we ship, we don't support it.

    Ken

    ________________________________________________
    Kerberos mailing list Kerberos@mit.edu
    https://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/kerberos


  3. Re: libdb.a

    On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 02:47:17PM -0400, Ken Raeburn wrote:
    > On May 12, 2005, at 14:35, Phil Dibowitz wrote:
    > >So previous versions of kerberos included a static lib called libdb.a,
    > >that
    > >one of our developers used.
    > >
    > >I've noticed that in the 1.4 series this no longer exists...

    >
    > It's still in our tree, and linked into the programs that access the
    > Kerberos database directly, but we're no longer installing it. We
    > don't want to be in the business of supporting a general-purpose
    > database package.
    >
    > What we're (still) using is an old version of the Berkeley/Sleepycat
    > database package, with some bug fixes. (We can't update because of
    > licensing issues.) You might want to check the Sleepycat web site,
    > and/or look up the BDB sources in your favorite open-source OS
    > distribution.
    >
    > Or, you could tweak the Kerberos sources to install the db library on
    > your system ... but if you run into problems with db unrelated to its
    > use in the KDC and related programs we ship, we don't support it.


    Erm, no, I mean it's not _built_, from the source directory:

    [phil@metallica krb5-1.4.1]$ find . -name 'libdb*'
    ./src/util/db2/libdb.exports
    ./OBJ/5.9/util/db2/libdb.so
    ./OBJ/5.9/util/db2/libdb.so.1.1
    ./OBJ/5.9/util/db2/libdb.so.1
    ./OBJ/5.9/lib/libdb.so.1.1
    ./OBJ/5.9/lib/libdb.so
    ./OBJ/5.9/lib/libdb.so.1
    [phil@metallica krb5-1.4.1]$ find . -name '*.a'
    ./OBJ/5.9/util/ss/libss.a
    ./OBJ/5.9/util/pty/libpty.a
    ./OBJ/5.9/lib/apputils/libapputils.a
    ./OBJ/5.9/lib/libss.a
    ./OBJ/5.9/lib/libpty.a
    ./OBJ/5.9/lib/libapputils.a
    ./OBJ/5.9/appl/telnet/libtelnet/libtelnet.a
    [phil@metallica krb5-1.4.1]$


    The shared version is there, the static version doesn't exist...

    --
    Phil Dibowitz
    Systems Architect and Administrator
    Enterprise Infrastructure / ISD / USC
    UCC 174 - 213-821-5427


    ________________________________________________
    Kerberos mailing list Kerberos@mit.edu
    https://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/kerberos

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (GNU/Linux)

    iD8DBQFCg6aQ7lkZ1Iyv898RArDpAKClyisnv9tfvTYIp0seJF EeBK+31QCeL5me
    qc/d91mwmB8wB60/Kxly+ms=
    =TSbr
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


  4. Re: libdb.a

    On May 12, 2005, at 14:55, Phil Dibowitz wrote:
    > Erm, no, I mean it's not _built_, from the source directory:


    Oh. Hrm, I thought we were linking it in statically. Sorry. I
    must've been thinking of one of the other libraries.

    For 1.4, we did change the default to be to build shared libraries
    only, for the libraries we install. (Libraries we only want to link
    into our own applications are built static-only, unless we need the
    shared object files to go into other libraries. I think this is the
    case with db.) If you configure with --enable-static that'll turn on
    the .a builds for libraries we install.

    Ken

    ________________________________________________
    Kerberos mailing list Kerberos@mit.edu
    https://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/kerberos


  5. Re: libdb.a

    On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 03:16:29PM -0400, Ken Raeburn wrote:
    > On May 12, 2005, at 14:55, Phil Dibowitz wrote:
    > >Erm, no, I mean it's not _built_, from the source directory:

    >
    > Oh. Hrm, I thought we were linking it in statically. Sorry. I
    > must've been thinking of one of the other libraries.
    >
    > For 1.4, we did change the default to be to build shared libraries
    > only, for the libraries we install. (Libraries we only want to link
    > into our own applications are built static-only, unless we need the
    > shared object files to go into other libraries. I think this is the
    > case with db.) If you configure with --enable-static that'll turn on
    > the .a builds for libraries we install.


    Ah. Thanks.


    --
    Phil Dibowitz
    Systems Architect and Administrator
    Enterprise Infrastructure / ISD / USC
    UCC 174 - 213-821-5427


    ________________________________________________
    Kerberos mailing list Kerberos@mit.edu
    https://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/kerberos

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (GNU/Linux)

    iD8DBQFCg7e17lkZ1Iyv898RAsjYAJ9vVIOHlNKLs1sPSOgWoV tpDrV1XgCdHRA4
    TydMiuBFo4co15+NZgli/9g=
    =Hn9s
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


+ Reply to Thread