Thankyou. This works for us now. I appreciate your help.

Regards, Tim

From: Markus Moeller []
Sent: Fri 06/05/2005 10:20
To: Markus Moeller; Tim Alsop; jpbermejo
Subject: Re: Denial of service when using Active Directory for KDC ?

To use a computer account in AD for a principal you have to create first a normal
computer account (e.g. mmtest) and execute then:

C:\program files\Support Tools>ktpass -out d:\Temp\test1.keytab -pass
Test000$ -crypto rc4-hmac-nt /ptype KRB5_NT_SRV_HST -princ te
stsvc/ -mapuser mmtest$@TEST.COM
Targeting domain controller:
Using legacy password setting method
Successfully mapped testsvc/ to MMTEST$.
WARNING: Account MMTEST$ is not a user account (uacflags=0x1021).
WARNING: Resetting MMTEST$'s password may cause authentication problems if
MMTEST$ is being used as a server.

Reset MMTEST$'s password [y/n]? y
Key created.
Output keytab to d:\Temp\test1.keytab:
Keytab version: 0x502
keysize 81 testsvc/ ptype 3 (KRB5_NT_SRV_HST) vno
1 etype 0x17 (RC4-HMAC) keylength 16 (0x5443b0c1ad573155fa2d95eee1971574)

This will create a keytab with a RC4 key which is mapped to a computer account.
Any password expiry set for user accounts (e.g. domain wide settings) won't
affect the computer account.

On Fri May 6 9:34 , jpbermejo sent:

>On Thu, 2005-05-05 at 21:52 +0100, Markus Moeller wrote:
>> Tim,
>> in our setup we use computer accounts instead of user accounts, and don't
>> have experienced this issue. I think the latest ktpass can do this with
>> mapuser having a $ at the end.

>I don't know about computer accounts, but this DoS is not possible if
>you are using service principals. Active Directory doesn't allow login
>for service principals, and keytab are only useful to decrypt tickets.
>Making an ldap query to AD, you can get things like
>userPrincipalName: HOST/sist03lnx@DOMAIN.COM
>servicePrincipalName: HTTP/
>servicePrincipalName: HTTP/sist03lnx
>In this case, only HOST/sist03lnx keytab works with `kinit -k`. If you
>attempt to get a TGT with the other principals, you get nothing.
>Javier Palacios
>This e-mail message and any attached files are intended SOLELY for the

addressee/s identified
>herein. It may contain CONFIDENTIAL and/or LEGALLY PRIVILEGED information and

may not
> necessarily represent the opinion of this company. If you receive this message

>please immediately notify the sender and DELETE it since you ARE NOT AUTHORIZED

to use,
> disclose, distribute, print or copy all or part of the contained information.

Thank you.