TLS uses the standard LDAP port, by default 389, if it is started. To my
understanding, then you just use ldap://

See also:

"Michael B Allen"
Sent by:
18.09.2008 05:28

"Klaus Heinrich Kiwi"
Re: Using LDAP backend with start_tls

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 5:21 PM, Klaus Heinrich Kiwi
> Hi everyone,
> I was wondering how can I use the LDAP backend over a TLS connection.
> Looking at the krb5.conf file man page, looks like there is no option
> covering this and I'm assuming that simply using ldaps:// as the
> ldap_servers URI will toggle SSL over port 636 instead of TLS at port
> 389.
> ldapi://socket will initiate a unix socket connection
> ldap://host will start an unsecured connection at port 389
> ldaps://host will start SSL through port 636
> Is there a way to START_TLS over port 389?

Perhaps you can grep through the ldap backend source. If it uses
OpenLDAP's API I believe the function in question is called
ldap_start_tls_s. If it exists, maybe you can determine what
conditions are required to trigger it.

Or wait for someone to answer who actually knows how the LDAP backend
works :->

Michael B Allen
PHP Active Directory SPNEGO SSO
Kerberos mailing list