Test Environment - Kerberos

This is a discussion on Test Environment - Kerberos ; So I'm looking for a little guidance on setting up a Kerberos environment from scratch simply for testing purposes (I.E. No Domain Controller or anything yet). I'm looking to actually set up this environment and then kerberize an apache web ...

  1. Test Environment

    So I'm looking for a little guidance on setting up a Kerberos environment
    from scratch simply for testing purposes (I.E. No Domain Controller or
    anything yet). I'm looking to actually set up this environment and then
    kerberize an apache web server running on Windows. Then verify it all
    working by having a third client machine try to connect to apache. If
    someone could just help point in the right direction just to get things
    started it would be a big help. I found lots of tutorials and have a pretty
    good understand but most of them start you off with already having the
    domain set up and they all refer to using AD as the domain controller.

    1. What should I use for setting up a domain using Linux as my PDC?
    2. Can I install the KDC on the same machine as the PDC?
    3. When I finally install Apache on the Windows machine, should I
    install it as a Domain User or just as a local system user?

    Thanks again for the assistance,

    Matthew Devine

  2. Re: Test Environment

    Matthew Devine wrote:
    > So I'm looking for a little guidance on setting up a Kerberos environment
    > from scratch simply for testing purposes (I.E. No Domain Controller or
    > anything yet).

    How about using the VMWare-Player for setting up various test machines?

    Ciao, Michael.

  3. RE: Test Environment

    Matthew Devine wrote:
    >> So I'm looking for a little guidance on setting up a Kerberos

    environment
    >> from scratch simply for testing purposes (I.E. No Domain Controller

    or
    >> anything yet).

    >How about using the VMWare-Player for setting up various test machines?

    >Ciao, Michael.

    it's a good idea, but be careful with the time synchronization.
    Some guest OS consistently run more slowly or more quickly than real
    world time. The reason that caused the slowing time inside guest system
    is because of that the guest clock frequency is setting too high than
    the host OS can offer.

    And if you have a time problem Kerberos can't work properly, specially
    the ticket manager.

    If yours guest OS is Linux you have a workaround on the vmware's web
    site :
    http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/vie...n_US&externalI
    d=1420

    if you want use FreeBSD check this link , but it's in French sorry,
    maybe it can help :
    http://casys.crevetor.org/index.php/...e-server_Guest

    --
    Thomas Boutry