kinit shows clear text password on terminal ! - Kerberos

This is a discussion on kinit shows clear text password on terminal ! - Kerberos ; Hi there, I just installed a krb5 server on a scientific linux box. I then have tested the basics: # kadmin -p user Authenticating as principal user with password. Password for user@REALM: kadmin: quit this is ok! # kinit user ...

  1. kinit shows clear text password on terminal !

    Hi there,

    I just installed a krb5 server on a scientific linux box.

    I then have tested the basics:

    # kadmin -p user
    Authenticating as principal user with password.
    Password for user@REALM:
    kadmin: quit

    this is ok!

    # kinit user
    Password for user@REALMassword_in_clear_text_here!
    New ticket is stored in cache file /tmp/krb5cc_0

    ooops!

    is this normal?

    anyway, how to force kinit to hide/scramble the typed in password?

    thanks,

    --
    Phil

  2. Re: kinit shows clear text password on terminal !

    Hi,

    Am Mittwoch, 16. Januar 2008 schrieb Philippe Marty:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I just installed a krb5 server on a scientific linux box.
    >
    > I then have tested the basics:
    >
    > # kadmin -p user
    > Authenticating as principal user with password.
    > Password for user@REALM:
    > kadmin: quit
    >
    > this is ok!
    >
    > # kinit user
    > Password for user@REALMassword_in_clear_text_here!
    > New ticket is stored in cache file /tmp/krb5cc_0
    >
    > ooops!
    >
    > is this normal?

    Please check which kinit you use.

    $> which kinit

    If it is the java one then this is a known problem. Please make sure that you
    use the kinit from your kerberos package.

    --
    MFG

    Michael Calmer

    Michael Calmer
    T: +49 (0) 911 74053 0
    F: +49 (0) 911 74053575 - e-mail: Michael.Calmer@suse.com

  3. Re: kinit shows clear text password on terminal !

    Michael Calmer wrote:
    > Am Mittwoch, 16. Januar 2008 schrieb Philippe Marty:
    >>
    >> # kinit user
    >> Password for user@REALMassword_in_clear_text_here!
    >> New ticket is stored in cache file /tmp/krb5cc_0
    >>
    >> is this normal?

    > Please check which kinit you use.
    >
    > $> which kinit
    >
    > If it is the java one then this is a known problem. Please make sure that you
    > use the kinit from your kerberos package.

    bingo!

    # which kinit
    /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_11/bin/kinit

    I suspected something as simple as that, but my google search didn't
    point at it, so thank you very much for the tip!

    # kdestroy
    # /usr/kerberos/bin/kinit user
    Password for user@REALM:
    # klist
    Credentials cache: /tmp/krb5cc_0
    Default principal: user@REALM, 1 entry found.

    now everything's OK!

    --
    Phil

  4. Re: kinit shows clear text password on terminal !

    Michael Calmer wrote:
    > Am Mittwoch, 16. Januar 2008 schrieb Philippe Marty:
    >>
    >> # kinit user
    >> Password for user@REALMassword_in_clear_text_here!
    >> New ticket is stored in cache file /tmp/krb5cc_0
    >>
    >> is this normal?

    > Please check which kinit you use.
    >
    > $> which kinit
    >
    > If it is the java one then this is a known problem. Please make sure that you
    > use the kinit from your kerberos package.

    bingo!

    # which kinit
    /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_11/bin/kinit

    I suspected something as simple as that, but my google search didn't
    point at it, so thank you very much for the tip!

    # kdestroy
    # /usr/kerberos/bin/kinit user
    Password for user@REALM:
    # klist