On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 10:53:11AM -0500, Mackanick, Jason W CTR DISA GIG-OP wrote:
> Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: NONE
>
> Various vendors for unix package kerberos with the operating system. Is
> there a method to determine the version number for compliance purposes
> with items such as advisories that are propagated to a CVE?

Jason,

Assuming that the vendor ships the kerberos development packages,
something like this might be what you want:

krb5-config --version
Kerberos 5 release 1.4.4

A cursory look would tell you that I am vulnerable to a heap of CVEs
related to Kerberos.

However, in my case I am running Debian Etch. Debian has a policy of
not introducing new upstream versions just to patch security fixes, so
they always do targeted security fixes. So, the version installed on my
machine is something like this:

apt-cache policy libkrb5-dev |grep Installed
Installed: 1.4.4-7etch4

Looking at the package changelog, there are several entries (4, in fact)
like this:

krb5 (1.4.4-7etch4) stable-security; urgency=emergency

* Fix bug in fix for CVE-2007-3999: the previous patch could allow an
overflow of up to 32 bytes. Depending on how locals are layed out on
the stack, this may or may not be a problem.

-- Sam Hartman Tue, 04 Sep 2007 19:51:49 -0400

The total number of CVEs noted in the changelog for the current release
is six. So, while a look at the raw version number as reported by
Kerberos looks bad, further infestigation shows that I am OK in that
department (assuming there have only been six CVEs total since the
release of 1.4.4; I have not checked).

So, I guess it depends in part on your Unix vendor's security policy.
Since you are .mil, you are most probably using Solaris. I know that
Sun deploys packages (you can access information about them using
pkginfo), but that about exhausts my knowledge of Solaris-specific
sysadmin knowledge. So, if sun ships detailed changelogs with their
packages (like Debian does), you might be able to glean the necessary
information from there.

Regards,

-Roberto
--