New to Kerberos, please help - Kerberos

This is a discussion on New to Kerberos, please help - Kerberos ; I have a messaging based application that runs on Websphere and a requirement has come up that it be integrated into Kerberos. So now i'm trying to learn what Kerberos is all about. I need to figure out how it ...

  1. New to Kerberos, please help

    I have a messaging based application that runs on Websphere and a requirement
    has come up that it be integrated into Kerberos. So now i'm trying to learn
    what Kerberos is all about.

    I need to figure out how it can be done and also setup a test environment.

    1) I assume I need to setup a KDC. Can I set one up on windows XP? I
    haven't found how to do that but would like to know if it's possible, or if
    I have to get an AIX box setup.

    2) In my application the messages can come in either though TCP or RMI
    connections. I am unclear on how Kerberos comes into play, but how would I
    authenticate these messages? Some kind of API call to a Websphere Kerberose
    adapter?

    I'm a little overwealmed at the moment, so any info to clue me in would be
    great!

  2. Re: New to Kerberos, please help

    Hi,

    I will try to answer your questions:

    1) I thinks you don't need and AIX KDC. You can ask the tickets from
    AIX to an Windows Active Directory. We are using in this way.

    2) As far as I know WebSphere is not kerberized. I think that it will
    introduce some kind of kerberization in the last versión but I had no
    time to know at what level.
    Anyway, I assume your WebSphere is running on a AIX box, you will need
    the Network Authentication Service (AIX MIT based kerberos
    implementation) client in order to ask tickets to AD. Also depending
    on the level of kerberization of this last websphere versión you will
    need to write code in the application to use de Kerberos API. I have
    didn't it so I can't help you with this point.

    Thanks,