[kmail] delete Emails via IMAP - KDE

This is a discussion on [kmail] delete Emails via IMAP - KDE ; Hi, I'm trying to delete emails from the email-server via IMAP. In my Account-Settings, I've specified "IMAP Account/Gelöscht" (that's german, i.e.: "IMAP Account/Trash") as the Trash-Folder. However, when marking up these messages with Ctrl+Shift+Mouseclick, and trying to delete them by ...

  1. [kmail] delete Emails via IMAP

    Hi,

    I'm trying to delete emails from the email-server via IMAP.
    In my Account-Settings, I've specified "IMAP Account/Gelöscht"
    (that's german, i.e.: "IMAP Account/Trash") as the Trash-Folder.

    However, when marking up these messages with Ctrl+Shift+Mouseclick,
    and trying to delete them by clicking on "Move message to trashcan",
    (i.e.: the "Delete"-Button), Kmail downloads the messages prior to
    moving them to the Gelöscht/Trash-Folder on the server.

    I don't get this. Isn't it the main purpose of IMAP not having to
    operate on your local machine, but to have them messages on the
    server?

    Thanks for your attention

    Joe

    KMail 1.9.5
    KDE 3.5.5
    Kubuntu Linux

  2. Re: [kmail] delete Emails via IMAP

    Joe Koenig wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to delete emails from the email-server via IMAP.
    > In my Account-Settings, I've specified "IMAP Account/Gelöscht"
    > (that's german, i.e.: "IMAP Account/Trash") as the Trash-Folder.
    >
    > However, when marking up these messages with Ctrl+Shift+Mouseclick,
    > and trying to delete them by clicking on "Move message to trashcan",
    > (i.e.: the "Delete"-Button), Kmail downloads the messages prior to
    > moving them to the Gelöscht/Trash-Folder on the server.
    >
    > I don't get this. Isn't it the main purpose of IMAP not having to
    > operate on your local machine, but to have them messages on the
    > server?
    >
    > Thanks for your attention
    >
    > Joe
    >
    > KMail 1.9.5
    > KDE 3.5.5
    > Kubuntu Linux

    I use "Shift+Delete" to delete the mail. It (the mail) never touches the
    trash can. And is never downloaded. (except the ones I actually click
    on...)

  3. Re: [kmail] delete Emails via IMAP

    Hello,

    Joe Koenig wrote:
    > However, when marking up these messages with Ctrl+Shift+Mouseclick,
    > and trying to delete them by clicking on "Move message to trashcan",
    > (i.e.: the "Delete"-Button), Kmail downloads the messages prior to
    > moving them to the Gelscht/Trash-Folder on the server.
    >
    > I don't get this. Isn't it the main purpose of IMAP not having to
    > operate on your local machine, but to have them messages on the
    > server?

    I think there is a setting for a trash can per account, which defaults
    to the local trash can. Perhaps you can use a dedicated trashcan on the
    IMAP server.

    Bernd Strieder

  4. Re: [kmail] delete Emails via IMAP

    Bernd Strieder wrote:

    > I think there is a setting for a trash can per account, which defaults
    > to the local trash can. Perhaps you can use a dedicated trashcan on the
    > IMAP server.

    Thank you, Bernd,

    but, like I said, I've already specified "IMAP Account/Trash" as the
    trashcan for my IMAP account. Still, kmail prefers to download the
    messages before moving them to "IMAP Account/Trash".

    Have a nice day

    Joe

  5. Re: [kmail] delete Emails via IMAP

    Shane wrote:

    > I use "Shift+Delete" to delete the mail. It (the mail) never touches the
    > trash can. And is never downloaded. (except the ones I actually click
    > on...)

    Have you tried to delete multiple messages at once? Mark them up with
    Ctrl+Shift+Mouseclick and then press/click "Delete" (or even Shift-Delete).
    I assume you'll experience the same that I did: in the progress-bar on the
    right corner of the taskbar, you'll see some action going on. When you
    click on this bar, you might see the downloading.

    Have a nice day

    Joe

  6. Re: [kmail] delete Emails via IMAP

    Joe Koenig wrote:

    > Shane wrote:
    >
    >> I use "Shift+Delete" to delete the mail. It (the mail) never touches the
    >> trash can. And is never downloaded. (except the ones I actually click
    >> on...)

    > Have you tried to delete multiple messages at once? Mark them up with
    > Ctrl+Shift+Mouseclick and then press/click "Delete" (or even
    > Shift-Delete). I assume you'll experience the same that I did: in the
    > progress-bar on the
    > right corner of the taskbar, you'll see some action going on. When you
    > click on this bar, you might see the downloading.
    >
    > Have a nice day
    >
    > Joe

    I use Ctrl + Mouseclick to select a single message, and shift + mouseclick
    for multiple messages
    The only messages I appear to download are the ones I actually click on.
    ie. If I select a row of 30 mails using shift + mouseclick, I only appear to
    download the first and last mail. I must admit though I havent looked deep
    and hard at this (with tcpdump)

+ Reply to Thread