Screen size. - KDE

This is a discussion on Screen size. - KDE ; Hi, I realise this question (or something like it) has been asked on a number of occasions, but I can't quite find an answer that fits my situation. I have a new PC with Mandriva 2007 installed from Linux Magazine ...

  1. Screen size.

    Hi,

    I realise this question (or something like it) has been asked on a
    number of occasions, but I can't quite find an answer that fits my
    situation.

    I have a new PC with Mandriva 2007 installed from Linux Magazine cover
    disk and I'm new to Linux.

    The graphics core (ATI - Radeon X300) is integrated on the motherboard
    and is capable of displaying 1280 x 1024 pixels. However, KDEs
    "Configure - KDesktop" has a maximum resolution of 1024 x 780.

    The Mandriva 2007 Harddrake utility shows the correct driver and says it
    is set at the higher resolution.

    I'd be really grateful for a pointer in the right direction as my LCD
    monitor looks poor using the low resolution.
    --
    Regards,

    JC

  2. Re: Screen size.

    John Cameron wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I realise this question (or something like it) has been asked on a
    > number of occasions, but I can't quite find an answer that fits my
    > situation.
    >
    > I have a new PC with Mandriva 2007 installed from Linux Magazine cover
    > disk and I'm new to Linux.
    >
    > The graphics core (ATI - Radeon X300) is integrated on the motherboard
    > and is capable of displaying 1280 x 1024 pixels. However, KDEs
    > "Configure - KDesktop" has a maximum resolution of 1024 x 780.
    >
    > The Mandriva 2007 Harddrake utility shows the correct driver and says it
    > is set at the higher resolution.
    >
    > I'd be really grateful for a pointer in the right direction as my LCD
    > monitor looks poor using the low resolution.

    If I'm right you should not use the kde control center, but always stay
    within the mandriva control center. There, you can find the monitor
    resolution settings. If you cannot do it through this way, then the last
    option is to modify the xorg-x11 configuration file by hand.

  3. Re: Screen size.

    John Cameron writes:

    >Hi,

    >I realise this question (or something like it) has been asked on a
    >number of occasions, but I can't quite find an answer that fits my
    >situation.

    >I have a new PC with Mandriva 2007 installed from Linux Magazine cover
    >disk and I'm new to Linux.

    >The graphics core (ATI - Radeon X300) is integrated on the motherboard
    >and is capable of displaying 1280 x 1024 pixels. However, KDEs
    >"Configure - KDesktop" has a maximum resolution of 1024 x 780.

    >The Mandriva 2007 Harddrake utility shows the correct driver and says it
    >is set at the higher resolution.

    Harddrake? What has this to do with hard drives? Do you mean XFdrake?

    Run XFdrake, choose the higher resolution, and then restart X
    (alt-ctrl-bksp should do it)

    >I'd be really grateful for a pointer in the right direction as my LCD
    >monitor looks poor using the low resolution.
    >--
    >Regards,

    >JC

  4. Re: Screen size.

    In message , Unruh
    writes
    >John Cameron writes:
    >
    >>Hi,

    >>I realise this question (or something like it) has been asked on a
    >>number of occasions, but I can't quite find an answer that fits my
    >>situation.

    >>I have a new PC with Mandriva 2007 installed from Linux Magazine cover
    >>disk and I'm new to Linux.

    >>The graphics core (ATI - Radeon X300) is integrated on the motherboard
    >>and is capable of displaying 1280 x 1024 pixels. However, KDEs
    >>"Configure - KDesktop" has a maximum resolution of 1024 x 780.

    >>The Mandriva 2007 Harddrake utility shows the correct driver and says it
    >>is set at the higher resolution.

    >Harddrake? What has this to do with hard drives? Do you mean XFdrake?

    The hard in Harddrake stands for hardware, not just hard drive. It is
    already set to the higher resolution. However, KDE configure (Configure
    - KDesktop" doesn't show the higher resolution as an option (it does
    have lower).

    >Run XFdrake, choose the higher resolution, and then restart X
    >(alt-ctrl-bksp should do it)

    XFdrake brings up the same screen as HardDrake.

    --
    Regards,

    JC

  5. Re: Screen size.

    John Cameron wrote:
    > In message , Unruh
    > writes
    >> John Cameron writes:
    >>
    >>> Hi,

    >>> I realise this question (or something like it) has been asked on a
    >>> number of occasions, but I can't quite find an answer that fits my
    >>> situation.

    >>> I have a new PC with Mandriva 2007 installed from Linux Magazine cover
    >>> disk and I'm new to Linux.

    >>> The graphics core (ATI - Radeon X300) is integrated on the motherboard
    >>> and is capable of displaying 1280 x 1024 pixels. However, KDEs
    >>> "Configure - KDesktop" has a maximum resolution of 1024 x 780.

    >>> The Mandriva 2007 Harddrake utility shows the correct driver and says it
    >>> is set at the higher resolution.

    >> Harddrake? What has this to do with hard drives? Do you mean XFdrake?

    > The hard in Harddrake stands for hardware, not just hard drive. It is
    > already set to the higher resolution. However, KDE configure (Configure
    > - KDesktop" doesn't show the higher resolution as an option (it does
    > have lower).
    >>
    >> Run XFdrake, choose the higher resolution, and then restart X
    >> (alt-ctrl-bksp should do it)

    > XFdrake brings up the same screen as HardDrake.
    >>

    >>> I'd be really grateful for a pointer in the right direction as my LCD
    >>> monitor looks poor using the low resolution.
    >>> --
    >>> Regards,

    >>> JC

    Check that the hardware setup is set for the correct amount of video
    memory. I had very similar problems, and traced them to that setting.

    Donald

  6. Cool Re: Screen size.

    I know this thread is old, but that is irrelevant.

    I had a similar problem with the KDE Control Center Display only allowing 1024x768 resolution.

    I tried a bunch of stuff, and finally, changing the refresh rates in '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' to these values worked:

    HorizSync 31-101

    VertRefresh 60-160

    Now I can access / set higher resolutions and even higher refresh rates.

+ Reply to Thread