Cant get started - KDE

This is a discussion on Cant get started - KDE ; I have had a number of hardware issues with my new desktop, Slackware 10.2 and 2.6.17.4 kernel and the ATI graphic module fglrx ( neither part of the Slackware distribution ). I am at the point where I have used ...

  1. Cant get started

    I have had a number of hardware issues with my new desktop, Slackware
    10.2 and 2.6.17.4 kernel and the ATI graphic module fglrx ( neither part
    of the Slackware distribution ). I am at the point where I have used
    Konstruct to download and install kde3.5.4 and KOffice1.5.2. It took
    about 3 hours to complete and left a single directory ~/kde3.5.4. When
    I try to start kde I get the message that startkde cannot be found. I
    have slocate up and running and it cant find it either. I noted that
    there is no separate directory for KOffice.

    Does this settup with no KOffice directory sound correct? Was there
    some download install problem that caused the loss of startkde? If not
    how can I generate one to get the system started? Will I have to rerun
    Konstruct?

    Thanks for any suggestions.

    Bob

  2. Re: Cant get started

    Robert Rappaport wrote:

    I think Robert (and not meaning to put you down at all) that you should
    stick to a good prebuilt installation and update it with its own update
    tool before you start trying to build your own system even with Konstruct.
    Your post shows both by what you say and what you dont say that you need to
    get more familiar with the basics first.

    A new KDE and Koffice WONT help you with any of your hardware issues, they
    are handled by the underlying linux system.

    If you use Konstruct make sure you edit it to put the files where you want.
    Its possible that your system did build correctly. Is the single directory
    ~/kde3.5.4. REALLY a single directory full of files or does it contain
    other folders like bin/lib/share/env etc? If it does then your install
    probably worked and you have built a full kde tree in your home directory
    and it probably contains the koffice files all in their right places.
    I cant say though because I dont know what your env variables were at what
    time. Koffice may have built correctly but be in your old KDE location
    although I would imagine that locate would find your old startkde if you
    had one even if it hasnt yet indexed the new kde3.54.
    Startkde should be in ~/kde3.5.4./bin if it exists and this location need
    to be added to your path as does ../lib need to be added to your library
    path.
    This sort of thing is to hard to diag without seeing it but I'm sure ready
    made packages are available from somewhere if not Slackware. Why make
    things so hard for yourself; use a heavily supported system like Suse or
    Fedora Knoppix or K/Ubuntu or Texstars (PC Linux?) where up to date and
    cutting edge packages are avail from a number of source

    --
    Regards,

    akar

  3. Re: Cant get started

    On 2006-09-04, akar wrote:
    > Robert Rappaport wrote:

    > This sort of thing is to hard to diag without seeing it but I'm sure ready
    > made packages are available from somewhere if not Slackware. Why make
    > things so hard for yourself; use a heavily supported system like Suse or
    > Fedora Knoppix or K/Ubuntu or Texstars (PC Linux?) where up to date and
    > cutting edge packages are avail from a number of source

    Slacks KDE-packages are up to date (3.5.4) and work OK

    --
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Mike Slack current

  4. Re: Cant get started

    Mike wrote:

    > Slacks KDE-packages are up to date (3.5.4) and work OK

    My apologies :-) I wasn't knocking Slack, I think its a great distro. I just
    assumed if the packages were available that Robert would have used them. I
    guess some people just like to make their life harder,,, :-)

    --
    Regards,

    akar

+ Reply to Thread