KDE Show desktop Dual Monitors - KDE

This is a discussion on KDE Show desktop Dual Monitors - KDE ; Hi, Is there a way to make the 'show desktop' icon only minimise monitor 1 and not the windows on monitor 2? Flamer....

  1. KDE Show desktop Dual Monitors

    Hi,

    Is there a way to make the 'show desktop' icon only minimise monitor 1
    and not the windows on monitor 2?

    Flamer.

  2. Re: KDE Show desktop Dual Monitors

    __/ [ Flamer ] on Friday 01 September 2006 00:40 \__

    > Hi,
    >
    > Is there a way to make the 'show desktop' icon only minimise monitor 1
    > and not the windows on monitor 2?

    The workspace is joined, so I very much doubt an option for this exists
    (unlss you hack the source code). However, what is it you are trying to
    achieve? Reveal only icons on the left where they reside? It sounds as
    though virtual desktops could achieve the same thing. Have a vacant virtual
    desktop and rather than hit CTRL+ALT+D, hit e.g. CTRL+F8 to reach a vacant
    desktop. Return to your busy workspace using, e.g. CTRL+F1.

    I don't know if that helps at all...

    Roy

  3. Re: KDE Show desktop Dual Monitors

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > __/ [ Flamer ] on Friday 01 September 2006 00:40 \__
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Is there a way to make the 'show desktop' icon only minimise monitor 1
    > > and not the windows on monitor 2?

    > The workspace is joined, so I very much doubt an option for this exists
    > (unlss you hack the source code). However, what is it you are trying to
    > achieve? Reveal only icons on the left where they reside? It sounds as
    > though virtual desktops could achieve the same thing. Have a vacant virtual
    > desktop and rather than hit CTRL+ALT+D, hit e.g. CTRL+F8 to reach a vacant
    > desktop. Return to your busy workspace using, e.g. CTRL+F1.
    >
    > I don't know if that helps at all...
    >
    > Roy

    what i want to achieve is have one monitor as my everything monitor,
    open windows, minimise all windows on etc, the second monitor i have a
    monitoring system on it, it stays there doesnt move, dont use the
    monitor for anything else, its just a little annoyance that i can put
    up with if i have to but i would rather my monitoring system wasnt
    minimised as well when i hit the show desktop button.

    Flamer.

  4. Re: KDE Show desktop Dual Monitors

    __/ [ Flamer ] on Thursday 07 September 2006 05:15 \__

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> __/ [ Flamer ] on Friday 01 September 2006 00:40 \__
    >>
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > Is there a way to make the 'show desktop' icon only minimise monitor 1
    >> > and not the windows on monitor 2?

    >> The workspace is joined, so I very much doubt an option for this exists
    >> (unlss you hack the source code). However, what is it you are trying to
    >> achieve? Reveal only icons on the left where they reside? It sounds as
    >> though virtual desktops could achieve the same thing. Have a vacant
    >> virtual desktop and rather than hit CTRL+ALT+D, hit e.g. CTRL+F8 to reach
    >> a vacant desktop. Return to your busy workspace using, e.g. CTRL+F1.
    >>
    >> I don't know if that helps at all...
    >>
    >> Roy

    > what i want to achieve is have one monitor as my everything monitor,
    > open windows, minimise all windows on etc, the second monitor i have a
    > monitoring system on it, it stays there doesnt move, dont use the
    > monitor for anything else, its just a little annoyance that i can put
    > up with if i have to but i would rather my monitoring system wasnt
    > minimised as well when i hit the show desktop button.
    >
    > Flamer.

    May I ask if you monitor your computer system, e.g. network and resources, as
    opposed to some system that's running at work and you supervisor? There are
    system monitors that are dockable. KSysGuard is one such monitor that I
    always keep in sight (one for current loads and one for historical plot). I
    notice that setting windows to "always on top" doesn't help either.
    CTRL+ALT+D will minimise them. See if advanced/custom windows options
    (Exists in recent versions of KDE) has an option somewhere. The
    choices/possibilities there are infinite.

    Best wishes,

    Roy

    --
    Can Mac OS X and Vista catch up? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYjv0S_k0xo
    http://Schestowitz.com | SuSE GNU/Linux PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E

  5. Re: KDE Show desktop Dual Monitors

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > __/ [ Flamer ] on Thursday 07 September 2006 05:15 \__
    >

    > > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > >
    > >> __/ [ Flamer ] on Friday 01 September 2006 00:40 \__

    > >> The workspace is joined, so I very much doubt an option for this exists
    > >> (unlss you hack the source code). However, what is it you are trying to
    > >> achieve? Reveal only icons on the left where they reside? It sounds as
    > >> though virtual desktops could achieve the same thing. Have a vacant
    > >> virtual desktop and rather than hit CTRL+ALT+D, hit e.g. CTRL+F8 to reach
    > >> a vacant desktop. Return to your busy workspace using, e.g. CTRL+F1.
    > >>
    > >> I don't know if that helps at all...
    > >>
    > >> Roy

    > > what i want to achieve is have one monitor as my everything monitor,
    > > open windows, minimise all windows on etc, the second monitor i have a
    > > monitoring system on it, it stays there doesnt move, dont use the
    > > monitor for anything else, its just a little annoyance that i can put
    > > up with if i have to but i would rather my monitoring system wasnt
    > > minimised as well when i hit the show desktop button.
    > >
    > > Flamer.

    > May I ask if you monitor your computer system, e.g. network and resources, as
    > opposed to some system that's running at work and you supervisor? There are
    > system monitors that are dockable. KSysGuard is one such monitor that I
    > always keep in sight (one for current loads and one for historical plot).I
    > notice that setting windows to "always on top" doesn't help either.
    > CTRL+ALT+D will minimise them. See if advanced/custom windows options
    > (Exists in recent versions of KDE) has an option somewhere. The
    > choices/possibilities there are infinite.
    >
    > Best wishes,
    >
    > Roy
    >
    > --
    > Can Mac OS X and Vista catch up? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYjv0S_k0xo
    > http://Schestowitz.com | SuSE GNU/Linux PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
    > run-level 5 Jul 20 12:15 last=S
    > http://iuron.com - help build a non-profit search engine

    Hi there,

    I have a web browser open that runs nagios, a network monitoring
    system.

    I am running kde 3.5.4-0.1.fc5 couldnt see any advanced winow options
    in control center, where abouts would they be?

    thanks for helping

    Flamer.

+ Reply to Thread