This is a discussion on Backing up and Restoring Kontact - KDE ; How do I do this? TIA -- Gordon Burgess-Parker Interim Systems and Management Accounting www.gbpcomputing.co.uk...

  1. Backing up and Restoring Kontact

    How do I do this?

    TIA

    --
    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

  2. Re: Backing up and Restoring Kontact

    __/ [ Gordon ] on Thursday 04 May 2006 12:07 \__

    > How do I do this?
    >
    > TIA

    If you mirror your settings and data or even migrate to a different
    workstation, just grab the relevant directories from ~/.kde/share/apps/ .
    The directory names should be rather rhetorical.

    As a general remark, *that* is the advantage of storing everything as file,
    settings included.

    Notes to add:

    * If the version KDE varies, I am entirely sure this will be handled most
    gracefully.

    * /kabc is your address book. The name does not make it obvious.

    * Your mail might reside in ~/Mail, so be sure to back up this directory, as
    well. It is somewhat of a generic location (separate mail clients can share
    it), which I believe is not KDE-specific and is therefore not 'snatched onto
    ~/.kde .

    Hope it helps,

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz | "World ends in five minutes - please log out"
    http://Schestowitz.com | GNU is Not UNIX PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E

  3. Re: Backing up and Restoring Kontact

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > __/ [ Gordon ] on Thursday 04 May 2006 12:07 \__
    >
    >> How do I do this?
    >>
    >> TIA

    > If you mirror your settings and data or even migrate to a different
    > workstation, just grab the relevant directories from ~/.kde/share/apps/ .
    > The directory names should be rather rhetorical.
    >
    > As a general remark, *that* is the advantage of storing everything as
    > file, settings included.
    >
    > Notes to add:
    >
    > * If the version KDE varies, I am entirely sure this will be handled most
    > gracefully.
    >
    > * /kabc is your address book. The name does not make it obvious.
    >
    > * Your mail might reside in ~/Mail, so be sure to back up this directory,
    > as well. It is somewhat of a generic location (separate mail clients can
    > share it), which I believe is not KDE-specific and is therefore not
    > 'snatched onto ~/.kde .
    >
    > Hope it helps,
    >
    > Roy

    many thanks! So in fact if I do a complete backup of my /home directory,
    that should cover everything! Much better than Windows where things are so
    fragmented between user directories and the registry!

    --
    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

  4. Re: Backing up and Restoring Kontact

    __/ [ Gordon ] on Thursday 04 May 2006 13:54 \__

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> __/ [ Gordon ] on Thursday 04 May 2006 12:07 \__
    >>
    >>> How do I do this?
    >>>
    >>> TIA

    >> If you mirror your settings and data or even migrate to a different
    >> workstation, just grab the relevant directories from ~/.kde/share/apps/ .
    >> The directory names should be rather rhetorical.
    >>
    >> As a general remark, *that* is the advantage of storing everything as
    >> file, settings included.
    >>
    >> Notes to add:
    >>
    >> * If the version KDE varies, I am entirely sure this will be handled most
    >> gracefully.
    >>
    >> * /kabc is your address book. The name does not make it obvious.
    >>
    >> * Your mail might reside in ~/Mail, so be sure to back up this directory,
    >> as well. It is somewhat of a generic location (separate mail clients can
    >> share it), which I believe is not KDE-specific and is therefore not
    >> 'snatched onto ~/.kde .
    >>
    >> Hope it helps,
    >>
    >> Roy
    >>

    > many thanks! So in fact if I do a complete backup of my /home directory,
    > that should cover everything! Much better than Windows where things are so
    > fragmented between user directories and the registry!

    Yes, I agree. Setting up new machines or copying settings across a
    cluster/array is a matter of just minutes (dependent on connection speed).

    I'll lend you my simple 'locket scripts':

    nice scp -r ~/.[0-z]* ~/*
    roy@woodward.mc.man.ac.uk:/home/roy/Main/BU/Filestore/Baine/Baine-`date
    +%Y-%m-%d`

    Note that speed is being restricted (it's a 100Mbit connection and there is
    also an scp option for _bandwidth_ limit rather than CPU priority) and both
    dot (~/.something) files and directories are copied over. Together with your
    files they fully encapsulate everything that you have stored, customised,
    set up, etc. For extra flexibility/portability, I tend to install programs
    on my home directory as well, whenever possible. It's fine for one-user
    machines or a machine that is expected to serve no more than a couple of
    people. The duplication is cheap and upgrades are not a major issue.

    Such practices saved me many time before, either when I accidently deleted
    some files or when I 'borked' some program's settings and wanted to revert
    to the old ones (just need to overwrite the relevant dot directory).

    I also save keep a progressive backup on an external hard-drive, for what
    it's worth. It's set up as a cron job...

    mkdir /media/SEA_DISK/Home/`date +%Y-%m-%d`

    tar -cf - /home/roy/Main/BU|split -b 1000m - /media/SEA_DISK/Home/`date
    +%Y-%m-%d`/Baine-`date +%Y-%m-%d`.tar.

    Compressed and also sliced due to maximal file size (4 GB on this Seagate's
    filesystem of choice)

    Best wishes,

    Roy

    --