Printing - KDE

This is a discussion on Printing - KDE ; Can anyone advise me why the hp dj720c printer is in the Ubuntu kde wizard yet not in the Kanotix ...I assume they use the same sources ?? -- Regards Ted Wager G3TPI High Peak UK Using Kanotix Linux...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Printing

  1. Printing


    Can anyone advise me why the hp dj720c printer is in the Ubuntu kde wizard
    yet not in the Kanotix ...I assume they use the same sources ??

    --
    Regards
    Ted Wager G3TPI
    High Peak UK
    Using Kanotix Linux


  2. Re: Printing

    Ted Wager wrote:

    >
    > Can anyone advise me why the hp dj720c printer is in the Ubuntu kde wizard
    > yet not in the Kanotix ...I assume they use the same sources ??
    >


    see:
    http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_pr...P-DeskJet_720C

    First of all, have you updated cups and foomatic on your Kanotix? You
    shouldn't have to as the pnm2ppa package should come with the distro. But
    maybe your version doesn't. If not then apt-get install pnm2ppa.

    Since the 720c uses the pnm2ppa driver which is what the 712C uses... go
    ahead and pick that one on the KDE Printer wizard and it will work fine.

    BTW the 712-720 printers that use this driver were some of the worst
    machines HP ever made! Total crap. But it should work out of the box with
    Kanotix... (it did for me) however it won't be fast and it drinks ink like
    a fish.

    al


  3. Re: Printing

    On Mon, 01 May 2006 01:51:57 +0000, ANC wrote:

    > Ted Wager wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> Can anyone advise me why the hp dj720c printer is in the Ubuntu kde wizard
    >> yet not in the Kanotix ...I assume they use the same sources ??
    >>

    >
    > see:
    > http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_pr...P-DeskJet_720C
    >
    > First of all, have you updated cups and foomatic on your Kanotix? You
    > shouldn't have to as the pnm2ppa package should come with the distro. But
    > maybe your version doesn't. If not then apt-get install pnm2ppa.
    >
    > Since the 720c uses the pnm2ppa driver which is what the 712C uses... go
    > ahead and pick that one on the KDE Printer wizard and it will work fine.
    >
    > BTW the 712-720 printers that use this driver were some of the worst
    > machines HP ever made! Total crap. But it should work out of the box with
    > Kanotix... (it did for me) however it won't be fast and it drinks ink like
    > a fish.
    >
    > al


    Thanks for the reply...........The system is upgraded daily and pnm2ppa is
    installed...I have now tried out the new Mepis 6 which pulls packages from
    Ubuntu and find the printer is not recognised on this distro too....
    Works fine in Dapper after editing the pnm2ppa.conf file...

    --
    Regards
    Ted Wager G3TPI
    High Peak UK
    Using Kanotix Linux


  4. Re: Printing

    Ted Wager wrote:

    > Thanks for the reply...........The system is upgraded daily and pnm2ppa is
    > installed...I have now tried out the new Mepis 6 which pulls packages from
    > Ubuntu and find the printer is not recognised on this distro too....
    > Works fine in Dapper after editing the pnm2ppa.conf file...
    >


    How is this printer connected? USB? If so, maybe you have a udev problem
    with Kanoitx and Meips 6?

    When you say 'not recognized' I assume you mean in CUPS (or the KDE Print
    manager.... a front-end for cups.)

    I assume you have tried to config the printer via http://localhost:631 in
    the CUPS setup method?

    And I assume you have powered the printer on and off?

    What version of Kanotix do you have?

    I have the 712C running in Kanotix 2005-04 via the parallel port on a
    Toshiba Satelite A45.

    al


  5. Re: Printing

    On Mon, 01 May 2006 07:27:09 +0000, ANC wrote:

    > Ted Wager wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for the reply...........The system is upgraded daily and pnm2ppa is
    >> installed...I have now tried out the new Mepis 6 which pulls packages from
    >> Ubuntu and find the printer is not recognised on this distro too....
    >> Works fine in Dapper after editing the pnm2ppa.conf file...
    >>

    >
    > How is this printer connected? USB? If so, maybe you have a udev problem
    > with Kanoitx and Meips 6?
    >
    > When you say 'not recognized' I assume you mean in CUPS (or the KDE Print
    > manager.... a front-end for cups.)
    >
    > I assume you have tried to config the printer via http://localhost:631 in
    > the CUPS setup method?
    >
    > And I assume you have powered the printer on and off?
    >
    > What version of Kanotix do you have?
    >
    > I have the 712C running in Kanotix 2005-04 via the parallel port on a
    > Toshiba Satelite A45.
    >
    > al


    Thanks for the reply...
    I have reinstalled udev...The printer is on lp0 and is picked up in
    the booting sequence...The kde print wizard tells me there is either no
    driver or I do not have the necessary permissions (tried as root and
    user) I have tried localhost:631 and got no joy...The printer is turned
    on, has ink and paper and will work ok on my other computer the dj610
    on my other computer works in Kanotix too but not the 720..
    The Kanotix version is KANOTIX 2006 CeBIT




    --
    Regards
    Ted Wager G3TPI
    High Peak UK
    Using Kanotix Linux


  6. Re: Printing

    Ted Wager wrote:

    > On Mon, 01 May 2006 07:27:09 +0000, ANC wrote:
    >
    >> Ted Wager wrote:
    >>
    >>> Thanks for the reply...........The system is upgraded daily and pnm2ppa
    >>> is installed...I have now tried out the new Mepis 6 which pulls packages
    >>> from Ubuntu and find the printer is not recognised on this distro
    >>> too.... Works fine in Dapper after editing the pnm2ppa.conf file...
    >>>

    >>
    >> How is this printer connected? USB? If so, maybe you have a udev problem
    >> with Kanoitx and Meips 6?
    >>
    >> When you say 'not recognized' I assume you mean in CUPS (or the KDE Print
    >> manager.... a front-end for cups.)
    >>
    >> I assume you have tried to config the printer via http://localhost:631 in
    >> the CUPS setup method?
    >>
    >> And I assume you have powered the printer on and off?
    >>
    >> What version of Kanotix do you have?
    >>
    >> I have the 712C running in Kanotix 2005-04 via the parallel port on a
    >> Toshiba Satelite A45.
    >>
    >> al

    >
    > Thanks for the reply...
    > I have reinstalled udev...The printer is on lp0 and is picked up in
    > the booting sequence...The kde print wizard tells me there is either no
    > driver or I do not have the necessary permissions (tried as root and
    > user) I have tried localhost:631 and got no joy...The printer is turned
    > on, has ink and paper and will work ok on my other computer the dj610
    > on my other computer works in Kanotix too but not the 720..
    > The Kanotix version is KANOTIX 2006 CeBIT
    >


    Hmmmm. Let me see if I have this right. You have installed CeBIT to the HD.
    Why not go and burn the lastest Kanotix beta, "Easter".

    The 610 works on both computers. (What is the other computer running?
    Mepis?) Now remember that the 610 uses the hpijs driver which is much
    better than the pnm2ppa). So we know that hpijs is installed and working
    well.

    The 720 will work on other computer but it won't work on the one with
    Kanotix CeBIT.

    CeBIT is still beta, but it's was pretty stable beta so I'm not sure if this
    is a kernel problem, a driver problem, a hardware issue with Kanotix, or a
    CUPS problem. Again, you should try Easter.... or drop back and burn the
    2005-04 stable version and run that (as a liveCD) to see if you can get
    this beast to print.

    Hook up the 720 to Kanotix, create a small text file called test2.txt (use
    Kate or some text editor) and then try both:

    lp test2.txt
    lpr test2.txt

    I'm not sure of the difference in the commands. Both should print to
    the /dev/lp0 device. (I assume there IS a 'lp0' in /dev ????)

    The only thing I can think of is that pnm2ppa is somehow not configured or
    supported in CeBIT.

    Again I suggest you burn and run Easter and/or the stable version (use the
    live CD) and report back. You might want to post this to the English forum
    on Kanotix.com or take it to Freenode #kanotix. Very helpful on both.

    Let me know what if anything you find out. Sorry I've not been much help,
    but hang it there and we'll get this solved.

    al



  7. Re: Printing

    On Mon, 01 May 2006 14:38:17 +0000, ANC wrote:

    > Ted Wager wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 01 May 2006 07:27:09 +0000, ANC wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ted Wager wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Thanks for the reply...........The system is upgraded daily and pnm2ppa
    >>>> is installed...I have now tried out the new Mepis 6 which pulls packages
    >>>> from Ubuntu and find the printer is not recognised on this distro
    >>>> too.... Works fine in Dapper after editing the pnm2ppa.conf file...
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> How is this printer connected? USB? If so, maybe you have a udev problem
    >>> with Kanoitx and Meips 6?
    >>>
    >>> When you say 'not recognized' I assume you mean in CUPS (or the KDE Print
    >>> manager.... a front-end for cups.)
    >>>
    >>> I assume you have tried to config the printer via http://localhost:631 in
    >>> the CUPS setup method?
    >>>
    >>> And I assume you have powered the printer on and off?
    >>>
    >>> What version of Kanotix do you have?
    >>>
    >>> I have the 712C running in Kanotix 2005-04 via the parallel port on a
    >>> Toshiba Satelite A45.
    >>>
    >>> al

    >>
    >> Thanks for the reply...
    >> I have reinstalled udev...The printer is on lp0 and is picked up in
    >> the booting sequence...The kde print wizard tells me there is either no
    >> driver or I do not have the necessary permissions (tried as root and
    >> user) I have tried localhost:631 and got no joy...The printer is turned
    >> on, has ink and paper and will work ok on my other computer the dj610
    >> on my other computer works in Kanotix too but not the 720..
    >> The Kanotix version is KANOTIX 2006 CeBIT
    >>

    >
    > Hmmmm. Let me see if I have this right. You have installed CeBIT to the HD.
    > Why not go and burn the lastest Kanotix beta, "Easter".
    >
    > The 610 works on both computers. (What is the other computer running?
    > Mepis?) Now remember that the 610 uses the hpijs driver which is much
    > better than the pnm2ppa). So we know that hpijs is installed and working
    > well.
    >
    > The 720 will work on other computer but it won't work on the one with
    > Kanotix CeBIT.
    >
    > CeBIT is still beta, but it's was pretty stable beta so I'm not sure if this
    > is a kernel problem, a driver problem, a hardware issue with Kanotix, or a
    > CUPS problem. Again, you should try Easter.... or drop back and burn the
    > 2005-04 stable version and run that (as a liveCD) to see if you can get
    > this beast to print.
    >
    > Hook up the 720 to Kanotix, create a small text file called test2.txt (use
    > Kate or some text editor) and then try both:
    >
    > lp test2.txt
    > lpr test2.txt
    >
    > I'm not sure of the difference in the commands. Both should print to
    > the /dev/lp0 device. (I assume there IS a 'lp0' in /dev ????)
    >
    > The only thing I can think of is that pnm2ppa is somehow not configured or
    > supported in CeBIT.
    >
    > Again I suggest you burn and run Easter and/or the stable version (use the
    > live CD) and report back. You might want to post this to the English forum
    > on Kanotix.com or take it to Freenode #kanotix. Very helpful on both.
    >
    > Let me know what if anything you find out. Sorry I've not been much help,
    > but hang it there and we'll get this solved.
    >
    > al


    Thanks for the info....Am away for a few days in London so will
    try the suggestions when I return home and let you know...
    --
    Regards
    Ted Wager G3TPI
    High Peak UK
    Using Ubuntu Dapper-Beta Linux


+ Reply to Thread