Is kpilot the worst? - KDE

This is a discussion on Is kpilot the worst? - KDE ; I have more problems with kpilot 3.5.x and my Palm Zire 21 than any other application in my entire Debian Sid machine. I have an up-to-date udev and hal. On may occasions kpilot works OK. But often it won't sync. ...

  1. Is kpilot the worst?

    I have more problems with kpilot 3.5.x and my Palm Zire 21 than any other
    application in my entire Debian Sid machine. I have an up-to-date udev and
    hal. On may occasions kpilot works OK. But often it won't sync. And what is
    worse is that I can't close it without using the ctl-alt-esc
    "skill/crossbones' to close the window.... and after that it won't start
    correctly... comes up and hangs. The only real solution is to restart KDE
    (ctl-alt-bkspace) and do the whole thing again in hopes that this time it
    works.

    I've tried all sorts of combinations of first starting the sync on the Palm
    and then starting kpilot... and vice versa. Nothing seems consistant. It's
    a hit or miss thing as whether I can sync.

    I notice that sometimes udev assigns the Palm to /dev/ttyUSB5 or 6 , etc.
    and I go into root and delete them and start again since kpilot looks
    for /dev/pilot (synlinked to dev/ttyUSB..x).

    Is there any alternative to using kpilot to update/sync the Kaddressbook.
    Maybe pilot-link or something manual? I like Kaddressbook better than
    Jpilot (which also does not sync well with the new udev).

    I'm an old hand at Linux and KDE and I have to say that kpilot is Linux at
    its WORST.

    Makes me want to junk Linux and buy a Mac!!! :-)

    Thanks,

    Al

  2. Re: Is kpilot the worst?

    __/ [ ANC ] on Thursday 27 April 2006 21:18 \__

    > I have more problems with kpilot 3.5.x and my Palm Zire 21 than any other
    > application in my entire Debian Sid machine. I have an up-to-date udev and
    > hal. On may occasions kpilot works OK. But often it won't sync. And what is
    > worse is that I can't close it without using the ctl-alt-esc
    > "skill/crossbones' to close the window.... and after that it won't start
    > correctly... comes up and hangs. The only real solution is to restart KDE
    > (ctl-alt-bkspace) and do the whole thing again in hopes that this time it
    > works.
    >
    > I've tried all sorts of combinations of first starting the sync on the Palm
    > and then starting kpilot... and vice versa. Nothing seems consistant. It's
    > a hit or miss thing as whether I can sync.
    >
    > I notice that sometimes udev assigns the Palm to /dev/ttyUSB5 or 6 , etc.
    > and I go into root and delete them and start again since kpilot looks
    > for /dev/pilot (synlinked to dev/ttyUSB..x).
    >
    > Is there any alternative to using kpilot to update/sync the Kaddressbook.
    > Maybe pilot-link or something manual? I like Kaddressbook better than
    > Jpilot (which also does not sync well with the new udev).
    >
    > I'm an old hand at Linux and KDE and I have to say that kpilot is Linux at
    > its WORST.
    >
    > Makes me want to junk Linux and buy a Mac!!! :-)
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Al

    I could never get KPilot to /properly/ interoperate with the
    KOrganiser/KMail/KAddress bundle. It was very inconsistent and not quite so
    predictable. I had a fairly OK experience with gpilot. Ultimately, I use the
    Palm conduits to just copy all my files to the hard-drive and toss copies of
    the memos to local files on the home directory, under /MyMemos.

    Overall, I agree that KPilot adds no glamour to Linux, but it works once you
    get used to it. I still use an old(er) version of SuSE, mind you. On the
    positive side of things, setting up the Palm was a snap. The wizard did all
    the work and no additional software needed to be installed. All was mint out
    of the box and I never lose any data.

    Best wishes,

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz | YaSTall SuSE to figure out the magic
    http://Schestowitz.com | SuSE Linux PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E

  3. Re: Is kpilot the worst?

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Overall, I agree that KPilot adds no glamour to Linux, but it works once
    > you get used to it.

    Well, when it works it works fine... but half the time it doesn't.

    I never make entries in my Palm. It's 'read only' for me. (I only use it for
    addresses). So to me, kpilot is a one-way street.... download to the palm.

    As I said sometimes it will hot sync and sometimes I have to do the process
    three or four times before I get it to work.

    One 'problem' is that udev changed things. In the past, when you plugged in
    your Palm to a USB and turned it on, hotplug allocated a dev/ttySxx for
    you. Kpilot had plenty of 'time' to see it before you hit the hot sync
    icon. But with udev the /dev/ttySxx is not created UNTIL you tap the
    hot-sync icon on the Palm and it looks like there are some timing problems
    between kpilot seeing the /dev/ttyS and picking up the protocol. And if it
    hangs, the next time you initiate the hot-sync on the Palm it udev will/may
    allocate a different /dev/ttyS0 and does not update the symlink
    for /dev/pilot.

    People have suggested that you start the hot-sync on the Palm _before_ you
    load kpilot and then click the 'reset kplot' icon a few times. Sometimes it
    works, other times it doesn't. And starting kpilot first sometimes works
    and sometimes doesn't. What I hate about the whole thing is having to
    restart KDE to clear out some arcane process that kpilot starts and causes
    it to hang if it is running when it is re-started.

    I know this may not make much sense to some of you. Just understand that
    kpilot is a 'mess' right now and I don't know if it is the fault of KDE or
    of udev/hal but as I say, it makes one want to junk the whole thing and buy
    an iMac!!!

    If anyone has other suggestions, please let me know.

    Al

  4. Re: Is kpilot the worst?

    __/ [ ANC ] on Friday 28 April 2006 15:46 \__

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Overall, I agree that KPilot adds no glamour to Linux, but it works once
    >> you get used to it.

    > Well, when it works it works fine... but half the time it doesn't.

    "Half the time" would appear like figure of speech, at lease to me. KPilot
    made my life easier than it has ever been with Windows 98. The only loss was
    the ability to 'massage' the data on the desktop-side (Palm Desktop). I
    rarely, if ever, install any software. I did that many years ago and it was
    an utter belt-and-braces exercise involving bells and whistles.

    What I like most about the way things are set up is that I can SSH/telnet to
    the machine where synchronisation takes place and then create new memos or
    edit existing ones. X is not a necessity.

    > I never make entries in my Palm. It's 'read only' for me. (I only use it
    > for addresses). So to me, kpilot is a one-way street.... download to the
    > palm.

    It sometimes seems to be the case, to some extent. The pilot on Linux people
    should probably reconvene and discuss how to improve matter and catch up
    with some developments. Many are several years behind and often assume a
    Pilot. For example: one has to get the latest of pilot-link in order to get
    the extra command-line option, which enables to send files directly to SD
    cards.

    With Palm's move to a Linux-based O/S and the demise of Palm O/S (I think all
    will be backward compatible through emulation), perhaps further work on Palm
    suited for Linux would be premature.

    These compaints of yours remind me of a thread in this group that called
    KDevelop a "bazaar". It was nothing of a revelation in the mist and it is
    not a very fair statement to make. KDE is community-driven, so the least one
    can do is spot bug, report, contribute, or fix. It would be nice if Palm
    cared enough for Linux, which they now exploit. They never seemed to support
    it directly. The same goes for other POSIX-compliant platforms.

    > As I said sometimes it will hot sync and sometimes I have to do the process
    > three or four times before I get it to work.

    Never happened to me. Always works perfectly. Ever since I installed SuSE.

    > One 'problem' is that udev changed things. In the past, when you plugged in
    > your Palm to a USB and turned it on, hotplug allocated a dev/ttySxx for
    > you. Kpilot had plenty of 'time' to see it before you hit the hot sync
    > icon. But with udev the /dev/ttySxx is not created UNTIL you tap the
    > hot-sync icon on the Palm and it looks like there are some timing problems
    > between kpilot seeing the /dev/ttyS and picking up the protocol. And if it
    > hangs, the next time you initiate the hot-sync on the Palm it udev will/may
    > allocate a different /dev/ttyS0 and does not update the symlink
    > for /dev/pilot.

    Let's not forget that kpilot is merely a front end. It relies on a
    lower-level layer, which perhaps ought to take the criticisms expressed
    herein.

    > People have suggested that you start the hot-sync on the Palm _before_ you
    > load kpilot and then click the 'reset kplot' icon a few times. Sometimes it
    > works, other times it doesn't. And starting kpilot first sometimes works
    > and sometimes doesn't. What I hate about the whole thing is having to
    > restart KDE to clear out some arcane process that kpilot starts and causes
    > it to hang if it is running when it is re-started.

    I had to restart my home machine last month. The reason: KPilot could not
    connect to my palm. The reboot resolved this. The intersting fact: the
    computer was up for about 150 days prior to that reboot. No issues with
    KPilot in this long period of time.

    > I know this may not make much sense to some of you. Just understand that
    > kpilot is a 'mess' right now and I don't know if it is the fault of KDE or
    > of udev/hal but as I say, it makes one want to junk the whole thing and buy
    > an iMac!!!

    Thinking that the iMac would resolve all your problems is the illusionary
    approach, not the visionary one. Some people fall back onto Windows only to
    reveal how unstable, virus-ridden and expensive it becomes. Atop that, you
    have the lack of freedom, on top of which no real contribution can ever be
    made.

    > If anyone has other suggestions, please let me know.

    I hope to find that somebody else participates in this thread and sheds some
    light by sharing experiences with KPilot.

    Best wishes and good luck,

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz
    http://Schestowitz.com | SuSE Linux PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E

  5. Re: Is kpilot the worst?

    On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 14:46:15 +0000, ANC wrote:
    > Just understand that kpilot is a 'mess' right now and I don't know if
    > it is the fault of KDE or of udev/hal but as I say, it makes one want
    > to junk the whole thing and buy an iMac!!!

    About 2 years ago when I started using a Linux desktop fulltime I
    wrestled with kpilot for a month or so before giving up in disgust and
    astonishment at how logically flawed poor kpilot was. Every single "edge
    case" condition was just not handled intelligently and I could just not
    believe how bad it was! I posted all over the place and a common
    consensus was to give up on it. I went to jpilot and it has always
    worked simply and well.

    So you mean to tell me that 2 years later kpilot is still "a mess"!! I
    wonder how it manages to maintain so high a profile?

+ Reply to Thread