Changing resolution within KDE - KDE

This is a discussion on Changing resolution within KDE - KDE ; I'm sure that, a month or so ago, I saw an option with KDE (I think it was inside kcontrol) which allowed you to choose monitor resolutions using a combo box, on the fly, in the gui. I know I ...

  1. Changing resolution within KDE

    I'm sure that, a month or so ago, I saw an option with KDE (I think it
    was inside kcontrol) which allowed you to choose monitor resolutions
    using a combo box, on the fly, in the gui.

    I know I can do this manually using xorg.conf or ctrl-alt-numpad+/-, but
    I find it worked better using the KDE combo box.

    The thing is - I can't find it any more! Was I dreaming? Did it ever
    exist? Has it been removed in an update I did? Can you find it?

    I think I may be going mad.

    --
    -Toby, who...
    field to circumvent my email filters.

  2. Re: Changing resolution within KDE

    Toby Newman wrote :

    > I know I can do this manually using xorg.conf or ctrl-alt-numpad+/-, but
    > I find it worked better using the KDE combo box.

    You'll find this option in "Control Center"|"Peripherals"|"Display".
    --
    Thomas O.

  3. Re: Changing resolution within KDE

    Toby Newman wrote:
    > I'm sure that, a month or so ago, I saw an option with KDE (I think it
    > was inside kcontrol) which allowed you to choose monitor resolutions
    > using a combo box, on the fly, in the gui.
    >
    > I know I can do this manually using xorg.conf or ctrl-alt-numpad+/-, but
    > I find it worked better using the KDE combo box.
    >
    > The thing is - I can't find it any more! Was I dreaming? Did it ever
    > exist? Has it been removed in an update I did? Can you find it?

    I guess you are thinking about the Peripherals/Display ("options" in kcontrol).

    //Aho

  4. Re: Changing resolution within KDE

    On 2006-04-16, Thomas Overgaard wrote:

    > Toby Newman wrote :
    >
    >> I know I can do this manually using xorg.conf or ctrl-alt-numpad+/-, but
    >> I find it worked better using the KDE combo box.

    > You'll find this option in "Control Center"|"Peripherals"|"Display".

    Well, oddly, I don't have that entry! I wonder where it has gone?

    I did some searching and found an app called krandrtray which will allow
    me to switch resolutions from the kicker, so I am functioning, but I am no
    less puzzled where this entry has gone in my Control Centre.

    Googling around shows a few other people who have had this problem
    before, but no solutions. 'Tis most bizarre.

    krandrtray was automatically installed as part of KDE, by the way. Quite
    a nifty little app, so I'm glad I found it. Some good comes out of
    everything

    --
    -Toby, who...
    field to circumvent my email filters.
    Ignore any mail delivery error.

  5. Re: Changing resolution within KDE

    Toby Newman wrote:
    > On 2006-04-16, Thomas Overgaard wrote:
    >> Toby Newman wrote :
    >>
    >>> I know I can do this manually using xorg.conf or ctrl-alt-numpad+/-, but
    >>> I find it worked better using the KDE combo box.

    >> You'll find this option in "Control Center"|"Peripherals"|"Display".

    > Well, oddly, I don't have that entry! I wonder where it has gone?
    >
    > I did some searching and found an app called krandrtray which will allow
    > me to switch resolutions from the kicker, so I am functioning, but I am no
    > less puzzled where this entry has gone in my Control Centre.

    This can be due change in the packages provided by your distro, that they
    decided to remove it or moved it to another package which you don't have
    installed. And last there is the option that they messed up the package that
    the file in question isn't readable for all users, which in such case will
    result it won't appear in the control center.

    //Aho

  6. Re: Changing resolution within KDE

    On 2006-04-16, J.O. Aho wrote:
    > Toby Newman wrote:

    >>> You'll find this option in "Control Center"|"Peripherals"|"Display".

    >> Well, oddly, I don't have that entry! I wonder where it has gone?
    >>
    >> I did some searching and found an app called krandrtray which will allow
    >> me to switch resolutions from the kicker, so I am functioning, but I am no
    >> less puzzled where this entry has gone in my Control Centre.

    > This can be due change in the packages provided by your distro, that they
    > decided to remove it or moved it to another package which you don't have
    > installed. And last there is the option that they messed up the package that
    > the file in question isn't readable for all users, which in such case will
    > result it won't appear in the control center.

    Okay, thanks. I'll live. My distro is kubuntu, fwiw.

    --
    -Toby, who...
    field to circumvent my email filters.
    Ignore any mail delivery error.

  7. Re: Changing resolution within KDE

    Toby Newman wrote:

    > Okay, thanks. I'll live. My distro is kubuntu, fwiw.

    In SuSE 10 I can right-click on the desktop, choose Configure
    Desktop..., click on Display in the left column, and select the
    Screen Size combo box from the Size and Orientation tab.

+ Reply to Thread