X.Org horizontal screen position setting - KDE

This is a discussion on X.Org horizontal screen position setting - KDE ; Hi all, I recently attached my Kubuntu machine to a new monitor, and ran dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg to configure X server for the new monitor.. The screen size and refresh rate is now working fine, but there is a problem with ...

  1. X.Org horizontal screen position setting

    Hi all,
    I recently attached my Kubuntu machine to a new monitor, and ran
    dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg to configure X server for the new monitor..
    The screen size and refresh rate is now working fine, but there is a problem
    with the horizontal position of the display, leading to a a black strip down
    the left of the screen, and the right side of applications being cut off.
    I can fix this by adjusting the horizontal position in the monitor menu
    (settings buttons on the monitor) but this since this monitor on a KVM this
    will cause a problem with the windows and MAC machines using the monitor.

    I'm sure this must be a setting somewhere in the X config files. I have
    looked throught /etc/X11/xorg.conf , /etc/X11/startx and other files as
    well as man pages but can't see anything. Google turns up nothing.
    Does anyone have any idea where this settiing might be?
    Thanks in advance.

    Alex.

  2. Re: X.Org horizontal screen position setting

    Alex wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I recently attached my Kubuntu machine to a new monitor, and ran
    > dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg to configure X server for the new monitor..
    > The screen size and refresh rate is now working fine, but there is a problem
    > with the horizontal position of the display, leading to a a black strip down
    > the left of the screen, and the right side of applications being cut off.
    > I can fix this by adjusting the horizontal position in the monitor menu
    > (settings buttons on the monitor) but this since this monitor on a KVM this
    > will cause a problem with the windows and MAC machines using the monitor.

    This is only true if you use the same resolution/refreshrate.

    > I'm sure this must be a setting somewhere in the X config files. I have
    > looked throught /etc/X11/xorg.conf , /etc/X11/startx and other files as
    > well as man pages but can't see anything. Google turns up nothing.
    > Does anyone have any idea where this settiing might be?

    There is a X tool that lets you do this, called xvidtune

    //Aho

  3. Re: X.Org horizontal screen position setting

    Thanks Aho, that solved my problem!

    "J.O. Aho" wrote in message
    > Alex wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >> I recently attached my Kubuntu machine to a new monitor, and ran
    >> dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg to configure X server for the new monitor..
    >> The screen size and refresh rate is now working fine, but there is a
    >> problem
    >> with the horizontal position of the display, leading to a a black strip
    >> down
    >> the left of the screen, and the right side of applications being cut off.
    >> I can fix this by adjusting the horizontal position in the monitor menu
    >> (settings buttons on the monitor) but this since this monitor on a KVM
    >> this
    >> will cause a problem with the windows and MAC machines using the monitor.

    > This is only true if you use the same resolution/refreshrate.
    >

    >> I'm sure this must be a setting somewhere in the X config files. I have
    >> looked throught /etc/X11/xorg.conf , /etc/X11/startx and other files as
    >> well as man pages but can't see anything. Google turns up nothing.
    >> Does anyone have any idea where this settiing might be?

    > There is a X tool that lets you do this, called xvidtune
    >

    > //Aho

+ Reply to Thread