window top bar - KDE

This is a discussion on window top bar - KDE ; Is there a way to disable the top bar of a window without losing the border too ? With alt-f3 -> advanced -> no border I can disable borders and top bar together, but I like having the borders, whereas ...

  1. window top bar

    Is there a way to disable the top bar of a window without losing the
    border too ? With alt-f3 -> advanced -> no border I can disable
    borders and top bar together, but I like having the borders, whereas
    the top bar is mostly useless if you prefer alt-f4 and alt-f3 (or
    right click in the kicker bar).

    Top bars are simply a waste of space...

    Dirk van Deun
    --
    Ceterum censeo Redmond delendum

  2. Re: window top bar

    Dirk van Deun wrote:

    > Is there a way to disable the top bar of a window without losing the
    > border too ? With alt-f3 -> advanced -> no border I can disable
    > borders and top bar together, but I like having the borders, whereas
    > the top bar is mostly useless if you prefer alt-f4 and alt-f3 (or
    > right click in the kicker bar).

    Simple answer: No.

    Complex answer: That's possible but the window decoration must handle
    this feature. And I'm not aware (yet) of any windec able to do this. All
    I'm sure about is that some windecs try to reduce the titlebar as much
    as possible.

    You should propose the idea on KDE-Look.org. That's something never seen
    before but I can't think of a reason why it couldn't be made (and I'm
    talking as a windec developer). If it gets a good ranking, somebody may
    write such a windec or integrate the feature in an existing one.

    Just my 0.02 Euro,

    --
    ==================
    Remi Villatel

  3. Re: window top bar

    "Dirk van Deun" wrote in message
    > Is there a way to disable the top bar of a window without losing the
    > border too ? With alt-f3 -> advanced -> no border I can disable
    > borders and top bar together, but I like having the borders, whereas
    > the top bar is mostly useless if you prefer alt-f4 and alt-f3 (or
    > right click in the kicker bar).

    I have no idea if other window managers can do this but kde can use other
    window managers (i.e. other than kwin) so you may find the answer in one of
    these.

    --
    Geoff

+ Reply to Thread