Anyway to by-pass file assoc. in Kong browser - KDE

This is a discussion on Anyway to by-pass file assoc. in Kong browser - KDE ; Here is the deal. I changed the association of .html from Kong. to Kate. MAN, WAS THAT STUPID. Here is what happened. When I went to a URL (yahoo.com) it could to the the home page. BUT if I clicked ...

  1. Anyway to by-pass file assoc. in Kong browser

    Here is the deal. I changed the association of .html from Kong. to Kate.
    MAN, WAS THAT STUPID. Here is what happened. When I went to a URL
    (yahoo.com) it could to the the home page. BUT if I clicked on any
    xxxx.html link instead of 'thinking' of it as a URL, Kong. saw it as a file
    and wanted to open it in Kate. Not smart!

    Is there a way around this?

    Maybe this is a good reason why a browser should NOT be a file manager too?

    [Note: you ask why did I change the association? I often need to edit html
    files on my workstation and it is easier to click on it and let it open in
    Kate than to right-click and choose "open with" and then make a selection
    of editors.]

    Thanks,
    Al

  2. Re: Anyway to by-pass file assoc. in Kong browser

    ANC wrote:

    > Here is the deal. I changed the association of .html from Kong. to Kate.
    > MAN, WAS THAT STUPID.

    I won't contradict you on this. ;-)

    > Here is what happened. When I went to a URL
    > (yahoo.com) it could to the the home page. BUT if I clicked on any
    > xxxx.html link instead of 'thinking' of it as a URL, Kong. saw it as a file
    > and wanted to open it in Kate. Not smart!

    Konqueror only does what you tell it to do. Computers are very stupid
    indeed.

    > [Note: you ask why did I change the association? I often need to edit html
    > files on my workstation and it is easier to click on it and let it open in
    > Kate than to right-click and choose "open with" and then make a selection
    > of editors.]

    This is the most logical option IMHO. You just reduce your file
    associations list to only Konqueror and Kate. So, when you right click,
    Kate will in the first popup menu and not in a sub-menu. This is a first
    step to make your life easier: Reduce the options to what you actually use.

    Another way can be to do just the opposite. You set Kate as the first
    file association and Konqueror as the second one. So, when you
    left-click, Kate appears and you navigate in Konqueror only with the
    right-click. I would however say this last solution is unintuitive...
    and I've no idea what to do with links to anchors in this situation.

    I also edit a lot of HTML files from time to time and I prefer the first
    solution. I just open one or several HTML files with a right click and I
    just drag and drop the next ones in Kate's window.

    There's no easy way in between "open" and "edit". Both can't be on the
    same mouse button without implying some conflicts.

    The last solution would be to file an entry in Konqueror's wishlist so
    that KHTML ignores the file associations and only behaves as an HTML
    browser... if that's possible.

    Just my 0.02 Euro,

    --
    Remi Villatel