compiling without arts? - KDE

This is a discussion on compiling without arts? - KDE ; Is there any way to compile KDE without arts? I'm trying to install a slimmed KDE to my home account at my university for the benefit of fellow students. My university offers FVWM as the _only_ available window manager. The ...

  1. compiling without arts?

    Is there any way to compile KDE without arts?

    I'm trying to install a slimmed KDE to my home account at my university
    for the benefit of fellow students. My university offers FVWM as the
    _only_ available window manager. The accounts are limited to 200 Mb, so
    I'd rather like to cut down on everything possible (like wallpapers,
    docs, manpages, ...). And since there are no sound card present in the
    computers, arts is a sure overkill.

    Btw, I'm mostly installing with konstruct. KDE 3.5.2.

  2. Re: compiling without arts?

    Hi Aron
    You can compile separately the different KDE components and choose only
    those you need.
    Instead of compiling everything by
    "cd /meta/kde;make install"
    You run
    "cd /kde/kdebase;make install"
    "cd /kde/kdelibs;make install"
    Do that for each components you need.

    In your case don't compile/install the kdemultimedia component.

    I hope this is what you asked for.
    Regards.

  3. Re: compiling without arts?

    Bernard B. wrote:
    > Hi Aron
    > You can compile separately the different KDE components and choose only
    > those you need.
    > Instead of compiling everything by
    > "cd /meta/kde;make install"
    > You run
    > "cd /kde/kdebase;make install"
    > "cd /kde/kdelibs;make install"
    > Do that for each components you need.
    >
    > In your case don't compile/install the kdemultimedia component.
    >
    > I hope this is what you asked for.
    > Regards.

    I don't think I'll ever understand where *answers* to never asked
    questions come from ...UPS or FedEx or DSL must have an answer
    overflow dept or something.

  4. Re: compiling without arts?

    This was the question in the comp.windows.x.kde newsgroup:
    from Aron.Bostrom@gmail.com
    "Is there any way to compile KDE without arts?

    I'm trying to install a slimmed KDE to my home account at my university
    for the benefit of fellow students. My university offers FVWM as the
    _only_ available window manager. The accounts are limited to 200 Mb, so
    I'd rather like to cut down on everything possible (like wallpapers,
    docs, manpages, ...). And since there are no sound card present in the
    computers, arts is a sure overkill.

    Btw, I'm mostly installing with konstruct. KDE 3.5.2."

  5. Re: compiling without arts?

    I deleted my post, as I found the way to do it the minute after I
    posted it.

    The solution was simplier than I thought. I only had to add
    --without-arts as a configure parameter in the konstruct Makefiles in
    the directories i wanted to install (kdelibs and kdebase) and remove
    arts as an dependency. (Simply ascending into the konstruct directories
    and performing "make" wouldn't have done it as it builds dependencies
    and arts happen to be a dependency.)

    Btw; the installation succeded. The computer science students at Lund
    Institute of Technology now can run a slimmed KDE 3.5.2 in the
    university computer rooms, instead of fvwm2. Yay! However, 200 MB is
    not sufficient for a KDE installation. Thus, the only installed apps so
    far are konsole, kate and konqueror. Though I'm currently trying to
    install kopete from SVN.

    How much space does an minimalistic kontact installation takes? Less
    than 20 M with --disable-debug?

    Aron Boström
    Scania, Europe

+ Reply to Thread